+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Hiking Early iPhone, Smartphone Upgrade Fees

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Calls to AT&T have confirmed looming speculation Monday about AT&T hiking its early upgrade and no-commitment pricing for the wireless carrier's expansive line of smartphones, including the iPhone. Although the
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default AT&T Hiking Early iPhone, Smartphone Upgrade Fees

Calls to AT&T have confirmed looming speculation Monday about AT&T hiking its early upgrade and no-commitment pricing for the wireless carrier's expansive line of smartphones, including the iPhone. Although the changes take place this week, only customers who are presently ineligible for upgrade - or unwilling to sign a new two-year contract - will be effected by the across-the-board price hikes.

It sounds as though AT&T is pinning the cost increase on the growing sophistication of smartphones and the added cost of keeping up with the times. AT&T reps, however (including the one I spoke with) have been widely quoted today stressing how "individual account needs" can still be addressed by AT&T on a one-on-one basis.

The company's policy regarding upgrade eligibility, however, doesn't appear to have been altered. Simply put, customers who opt for an upgrade before 12 or 18 months into their contract, or who will only sign a new one year contract (rather than two) will have to pay the new prices to upgrade. For iPhone upgrades, customers are looking at $50 more (iPhone 3GS 8GB is $299, iPhone 4 16GB is $449, iPhone 4 32GB is $549).

As some may recall, AT&T increased early upgrade fees on its smartphones last October from $75 to $200, although the iPhone was spared from that list. Many began speculating after Verizon got the iPhone earlier this year that AT&T would soon revise its early upgrade fees on the iPhone too as yet another measure to help rope in customers for the long haul in an increasingly competitive smartphone environment. It now looks like those folks were right.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

LIMPDISTURBED33 (04-06-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

well that sucks, i was thinking about selling my ip4 and hopefully getting a god amount of money to upgrade to the new one, this doesnt really make me not want to but, just annoying though
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Thanks

Its AT&T what more could we expect!

Their gonna fork out $39 billion for T-Mobile. I also read if the FCC denies the purchase, AT&T will still pay them $3 billion. So they have to get more $$$ from somewhere.

AT&T CEO talks optimistically about T-Mobile deal http://usat.me?45742768
    Last edited by Nickaroni22; 04-04-2011 at 12:04 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nickaroni22 For This Useful Post:

DevouredDreams (04-04-2011)

Thanks

I was hoping AT&T would continue letting early adopters upgrade early to the new iPhone like in the past. So much for loyalty.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

This happens every year at upgrade time. People knowingly sign a TWO year contract with the understanding that you have to be under contract for at least 18 months before you are fully eligible for upgrade discounts... then after ONE year they totally forget about the deal they signed and start complaining. Give me a break. If you want an early upgrade fork out the extra cash but don't complain about the contract rules that YOU are asking to break!

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

Darrius777 (04-04-2011), johnr9412 (04-04-2011), Ochocinco (04-04-2011), rkswat (04-04-2011), stlcaddie (04-04-2011), The_13th_Plague (04-06-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Sounds like AT&T to me.

Green Apple
    Thanks

all i ever hear is people ******** about at&t give it a damn rest already

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0dy View Post
    Sounds like AT&T to me.
    Actually it sounds like any responsible business trying to run a profitable company for their share holders which they are 100% accountable to.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

rkswat (04-04-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EskimoRuler View Post
    well that sucks, i was thinking about selling my ip4 and hopefully getting a god amount of money to upgrade to the new one, this doesnt really make me not want to but, just annoying though
    How much is a "god" amount anyway?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

They're pinning it on the "growing sophistication of smartphones"? The iPhone and many other phones have pretty much remained at the standard 2-yr commitment price despite their advancements. So where is AT&T incurring the extra cost?

Thanks

I'm eligible every year for an upgrade so I Have no complaints

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty99vette View Post
    if you wanna pay $600 on the iPhone 5 on launch day go ahead an pay it. For all of us that think AT&T are already effing crooks and they are! I'm sure we all wanna take advantage of the early upgrade we been use to and pay $199.00 you must work for AT&T
    so u all of sudden speak for everyone
    Last edited by Broomhead; 04-04-2011 at 01:44 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope to sell my iPhone 3GS for about 200-300 bucks. And I will pay the rest of my pocket for a no commitment iPhone 5 or 4s or what ever hell their going name the thing.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty99vette View Post
    if you wanna pay $600 on the iPhone 5 on launch day go ahead an pay it. For all of us that think AT&T are already effing crooks and they are! I'm sure we all wanna take advantage of the early upgrade we been use to and pay $199.00 you must work for AT&T
    LoL, you don't have to be with AT&T or have an iPhone.... that is YOUR choice. I'm with "as*hole" Poseidon79 on this one because every year the same people start whining about the same crap. You signed the contract now don't cry when AT&T expects you to live up to it. They let some upgrade early and now every one expects to be able to upgrade early. Don't like the contract don't sign it and walk out the door with your iPhone.
    Last edited by Broomhead; 04-04-2011 at 01:45 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to rkswat For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (04-04-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    This happens every year at upgrade time. People knowingly sign a TWO year contract with the understanding that you have to be under contract for at least 18 months before you are fully eligible for upgrade discounts... then after ONE year they totally forget about the deal they signed and start complaining. Give me a break. If you want an early upgrade fork out the extra cash but don't complain about the contract rules that YOU are asking to break!
    Best response ever. I just sold my iPhone4 so bring on the 5

21. The Following User Says Thank You to squassss For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (04-04-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Not fully true... I got the first gen iPhone at a discount, year later I got the iPhone 3G at a discounted price, year later I got the iPhone 3Gs at a discounted price and guess what another year later I got the iPhone 4 at a discounted price and I already looked online under my account and it stated I'll be eligible for an iPhone discount in July 2011 since that's when I got my iPhone 4 last year in July.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,698 Times in 839 Posts

I hate contracts. Especially when there's no flexibility - it's either their contract or no contract.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    Not fully true... I got the first gen iPhone at a discount, year later I got the iPhone 3G at a discounted price, year later I got the iPhone 3Gs at a discounted price and guess what another year later I got the iPhone 4 at a discounted price and I already looked online under my account and it stated I'll be eligible for an iPhone discount in July 2011 since that's when I got my iPhone 4 last year in July.
    lucky, i get my discount on the day i graduated so i still have to wait for the new iphone to even be announced

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post
    ...iPhone 3GS 8GB is $299, iPhone 4 16GB is $449, iPhone 4 32GB is $549...
    At these prices, the phone should be unlocked

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

When is iPhone 5 coming out?