Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Hiking Early iPhone, Smartphone Upgrade Fees

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

So what else is new? AT&T was doing something nice for its customers they didn't have to offer any kind of discount but they did any way. I guess ppl just don't care what the contract says as long as they get their new shiny phone right then, but when the next one comes out they have something to complain about...lame.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Dear ATT, Verizon has the iPhone too. (literally can hardly wait till June)

Kthanx and BYE.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

iPhone? More like MyPhone johnr9412's Avatar
    Thanks

$459? Eh..my iPad 2 cost more than that. Who cares haha
    my SPOON is too big

iPhone? More like MyPhone Riviera's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    Not fully true... I got the first gen iPhone at a discount, year later I got the iPhone 3G at a discounted price, year later I got the iPhone 3Gs at a discounted price and guess what another year later I got the iPhone 4 at a discounted price and I already looked online under my account and it stated I'll be eligible for an iPhone discount in July 2011 since that's when I got my iPhone 4 last year in July.
    If you have more than 2 lines in your family plan & if you ALWAYS pay your bill full amount & on time or within your grace period, most likely you will be eligible for an early upgrade. It happened to me in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    This happens every year at upgrade time. People knowingly sign a TWO year contract with the understanding that you have to be under contract for at least 18 months before you are fully eligible for upgrade discounts... then after ONE year they totally forget about the deal they signed and start complaining. Give me a break. If you want an early upgrade fork out the extra cash but don't complain about the contract rules that YOU are asking to break!
    Best response!

Stop whining, people.
    If You signed a 2 years contract, then man up and deal with it.
    You gotta pay to play.

Quote Originally Posted by domanads2k4 View Post
    They will new contract = discounted price
    Of course you get a discounted price for a new contract - even my 11 year old niece is aware of it, too.

I want to see what Verizon would do next year for an early upgrade to iPhone 6.
    $100 bucks on the table says Verizon will do exactly what AT&T is doing right now or maybe worst?
    Last edited by Riviera; 04-04-2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Dear ATT, Verizon has the iPhone too. (literally can hardly wait till June)

Kthanx and BYE.
    You mean "literally CAN'T hardly wait till SEPTEMBER"

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Hate Att with passion

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
    You mean "literally CAN'T hardly wait till SEPTEMBER"
    Did I stutter?
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Heh...

it's not entirely an AT&T-only thing: a number of different kinds of providers have done this and will do it again. It's no less crappy, in general, but, I wouldn't hate AT&T anymore than I do any provider over this.

But I don't think it affects my solution: Family Plan with four lines, only two of which use iDevices. Every six months I'm eligible for an upgrade and those other two lines are happy with their basic phones while I take the upgrade for myself.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    To Alexevo
    No I think YOU are wrong. He said he can hardly wait. That means he is only just managing to endure the long wait till June. Well thats my understanding of the english language. Your interpretation sounds wrong to me.
    Last edited by Beaudean; 04-05-2011 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    AT&T was doing everyone a favor by doing any sort of early upgrade discount. The fact that they gave everyone a full discount to upgrade from the 2G to the 3G was amazing... but then people felt entitled to the same concession. From the 3G --> 3GS --> i4 they gave everyone $200 off after 12 months... not too bad. They're still going to give you $150 off retail which they don't have to do at all. Go over to Verizon and see if they treat you any better.
    hey you wrote in orange cool at&t colors woot woot

OS X - excellent enough to put on phones LGgeek's Avatar
    Thanks

"..have been widely quoted today stressing how "individual account needs" can still be addressed by AT&T on a one-on-one basis"

What this means is most of the population are wusses so we can screw them and only have to deal with that small minority of non-borg that might object.

People email your representatives, squeaky wheel gets the grease. Politicians are wusses if they think an issue will get the press poking cameras in their face and asking questions they will tell the big brother corporations to keep their money...this time.
    I don't drink kool-Aid, I don't join cults.
    This is why I break out in cold sweat going to Apple retail store.

I know it's gonna sound like I'm defending AT&T here but I'm NOT, but for the ppl that are grandfathered-in to the unlimited plan, they could easily stop honoring it and make us all go to a tiered plan. Although Verizon has the iPhone after 3+ years, I get that, but AT&T does let their customers get new iPhones earlier than the 2 year contract. I know Verizon does as well, but their customer service imo is the worst of the carriers. I'm glad that AT&T let's us upgrade early. But ppl will b1tch and complain if given the chance I guess.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drewstone View Post
    ...But ppl will b1tch and complain if given the chance I guess.
    No guessing about that!!

I was on a boat and lost my iPhone 4 overboard (that was a bad day). I went to the AT&T store, and they sold me a new one for $199. I had used my upgrade two months before on the iPhone 4. So I can't complain!

iPhone? More like MyPhone RoloDiva13's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yet another example of 'the masses' showing the entitlement personality. As others have stated, you signed a TWO YEAR--24 months for those that have trouble counting--agreement to discount that phone to something u could afford. If you don't want to abide by that simply pay the no-contract price for a phone.

Oh and btw: just like VZW got rid of their new every two deal moving forward, At&t has also (sort of) followed suit and changed the standard discount upgrade policy to a flat 20 mo--no matter how much $$ your line has in monthly charges. Customers with an upgrade date already in the system are 'grandfathered' in, but after your next upgrade watch that new date. It'll be 20 mo instead of the 13 u may be used to if you were a high-paying customer (+$99)

It amazes me that THIS change hasn't gotten more attention than a simple price hike when so many iPhone early adopter customers have enjoyed a steep discount EVERY year the new devices come out.

formerly known as Method2001 TheGrandFinale2001's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah this should be no surprise to anyone. Either way I'm still getting the iPhone 5, or whatever it will be called lol.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123