Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Finally Allows Controversial TrapCall App into the App Store

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Apple Finally Allows Controversial TrapCall App into the App Store

TrapCall was trapped for months in Apple's App Store purgatory, withstanding one of the most stringent known reviews in App Store history. For 201 days, TrapCall - an app that allows users to find out who's really behind blocked phone calls - was being analyzed under a microscope given the obvious privacy concerns such an app raises.

But now comes word that TrapCell has made it through. And its' presently available from app maker Tel Tech Systems. TrapCall, it should be noted, is a free app to download, but Tel Tech Systems charges $5 a month to provide the un-blocking service. According to the makers of the controversial app, TrapCall is the only known app of its kind to offer this particular functionality - something we all wish we've had at one time or another.

Here's how it works. If you receive a call from a blocked number, simply tap the sleep button twice to decline it and direct the call over to TrapCall. Within seconds, the service sends your handset a text message with precise caller information, including the name, telephone number and address of the blocked caller.

Some are naturally speculating that this app won't be allowed to remain in the App Store for very long as the legality of the service provided is questionable at best. Still, the app is, indeed, available for now. And if you want to check it out, click here.

Source: TelTech Systems

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (04-05-2011), reaves205 (04-04-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Team Infecti0n's Avatar
    Thanks

$5 A Month? I rarely get any blocked calls anyway, only on rare occasions. Would be fun, but it ain't worth the money.
    --------------------------------------Please Donate To Our Team!: http://bit.ly/qjnWXQ-------------------------------
    FILLERFILLERFILLERFILLERFILLERHUGEA
    --------------------------------------Please Donate To Our Team!: http://bit.ly/qjnWXQ-------------------------------

Thanks

my phone company just blocks unknown numbers

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

a camera app cant use the buttons differently, but this app can?

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dale2 For This Useful Post:

iPod (04-04-2011), Luigi453 (04-04-2011), Mr. Quackers (04-04-2011), that_girl (04-04-2011), therockk (04-04-2011), _Marsh_malloW_ (04-05-2011)

well...for 5 a month that is ok if u receive blocked calls all day everyday...other then that, thanks but no thanks...i have a better option and its free...send blocked calls to voicemail...if they leave on great if not , it never existed
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

8. The Following User Says Thank You to z3r01 For This Useful Post:

Team Infecti0n (04-04-2011)

What about the people that pay their phone providers a monthly fee to have their numbers blocked?

Can another company unblock the block?

BC

I think this is very cool and very useful for me i am down for getting it
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Quote Originally Posted by dale2 View Post
    what are you saying?
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

5$ a month? I'll pass. Doubt it's even out here in the UK either.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I definitely don't receive blocked calls enough for this to be worth $5. They might want to consider lowering the price...

If you own and pay for an iPhone but are worried about debt collectors calling you, perhaps you need to get your priorities straight and temporarily downgrade to a GoPhone lol.
    I'm just kidding, I find it funny that they used a Debt Collection agency to advertise their app. I really dont think this app will be used for anything other than a one time "hey look at this!" type situation, it seems kinda silly to pay monthly for a service that you likely wont use. If there was a choice between 5/mo for unlimited lookup or like 25c to look up one number I could see it taking off.

I use iblacklist to block unwanted callers . As for blocked calls that dont show the phone number , I just dont answer . If its someone that blocks their calls , its for a reason . SO screw them.

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    what are you saying?
    A camera app was pulled because it allowed you to take pictures using the volume buttons, yet this app (so far) remains in the app store for revealing private info about others.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to evolution83 For This Useful Post:

dale2 (04-04-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dale2 View Post
    When he said "press the sleep button twice", he's referring to the built-in feature of the iPhone. The first time is to set the ringer to silent while the phone is still "ringing", and the second time allows you to ignore the phone call altogether, sending it straight to voicemail; it's an inherent feature of the iPhone, or really, any phone out there.

My question is will this work with call spoofing? Myself - along with several friends - were hit with several spoofed calls (where the caller forwards his call to appear as if it's coming from someone else) about a month ago. The creepy thing is that the guy not only called me through someone else's number - it would show up as a different contact each time - but he pretended to be that person. Later that night after changing my number through AT&T, he called my girlfriend using my old number.

I'm sure it's not "backwards compatible" in the sense of a month old phone call, but it'd be nice to know if call spoofing is covered.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

what are you saying?
    I was refering to the sleep button sending the call to be unblocked

what are you saying?
    I think he's pointing out that apps like camera+ won't let you take pics with the volume buttons but this will let you do a command with the sleep button.

And does anyone know of a jailbreak app that will do the same thing?

Why would this be illegal? It should be illegal to block your number from others seeing it!

yea I get one or two blocked calls a month tops. Id rather just not pick up. maybe if they charged like 50 cents per call it would be worth it.

as far as "revealing private info about others" thats crazy talk. There is no reason I shouldn't be able to know who is calling MY phone. This should be built into iOS as far as I'm concerned.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to kadernal For This Useful Post:

quidam_brujah (04-05-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Team Infecti0n View Post
    $5 A Month? I rarely get any blocked calls anyway, only on rare occasions. Would be fun, but it ain't worth the money.
    What I was going to say.

Quote Originally Posted by kadernal View Post
    yea I get one or two blocked calls a month tops. Id rather just not pick up. maybe if they charged like 50 cents per call it would be worth it.

as far as "revealing private info about others" thats crazy talk. There is no reason I shouldn't be able to know who is calling MY phone. This should be built into iOS as far as I'm concerned.

+1

26. The Following User Says Thank You to jonathan1683 For This Useful Post:

quidam_brujah (04-05-2011)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast