Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sony CEO Suggests iPhone 5 May Sport 8MP Camera

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Sony CEO Suggests iPhone 5 May Sport 8MP Camera

Howard Stringer, the CEO of Sony (pictured above), has dropped an iPhone 5 bombshell. During a freshly published interview with the Sony chief, Stringer reportedly had a slip of the tongue and "accidentally" revealed that Apple's 5th generation iPhone may pack the most impressive camera to date in the history of the iPhone.

According to Stringer, the iPhone 5 will likely feature an 8MP camera. More specifically, Stringer reportedly told The Wall Street Journal's Walt Mossberg that the recent Japanese earthquake did some serious damage to a Sony camera sensor plant, which has effectively delayed shipments of the senors to the Cupertino, California-based company.

The same report adds that Sony's eight-megapixel sensor - which, incidentally, can also be found on Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo - is likely the sensor that Stringer is referring to. Until now, OmniVision had been the exclusive provider of the 5-megapixel camera on the iPhone 4. If Apple has made the switch to Sony, it's to bestow upon the iPhone 5 a better quality camera.

Last year, rumors briefly surfaced that Apple would be turning to Sony in some capacity ahead of the iPhone 5's production. But as no evidence of a relationship subsequently surfaced, the rumors quickly faded away. Of course, now that Sony's CEO has confirmed the relationship, it's safe to say this is one rumor-turned-reality that we're bound to hear a lot more about in the coming weeks.

Source: Wall Street Journal

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (04-03-2011)

I would love to have an 8 mp camera on my iPhone 5 when I get one. Seems like all of the android phones already have 8 or more mp though

great, now I WILL not buy the iPhone5 if it has anything related to sony in it.

geohot/liksang.com/rootkits ect?

SONY IS EVIL
    "I accidentally upgraded my firmware.....again..."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyraincloud For This Useful Post:

ADF (04-03-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

8mp on the back and 1.3mp in front please.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoldycheeze88 View Post
    8mp on the back and 1.3mp in front please.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Maybe 8MP back x 5MP FF
    Recycle the old 5MP for FF

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb283 View Post
    I would love to have an 8 mp camera on my iPhone 5 when I get one. Seems like all of the android phones already have 8 or more mp though
    Some do but it's really not the same. The iPhone 4's 5MP camera is superior IMO than the 8MP of the Evo.

I wasn't really planning on getting the iP5 but dang I love taking pics with my phone...

Well played Mr. Jobs.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to StevenB For This Useful Post:

moon#pie (04-03-2011)

Who cares about an 8mb, that's old news. By the time iPhone 5 comes out with 8mb others will have 10+ mb. What we need is better zoom capabilities on the iPhone 5 and 1080p.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

The 8mp upgrade only matters because iPhone 4 already takes superior photos to phones that are currently 8mp. Their camera technology combined with the mp upgrade will make for really sharp photos. Anything above 8 is pretty much trivial. Are you really going to be printing wall sized posters with your cell phone photos?

That would be nice but i rather have the ft camera improved
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

We need better sensors, not higher MP. But higher numbers sells so that's how it's going to be.

Wonder what all those kids gonna say who got riled up against Sony... will you buy this and support Sony... or not buy it and stay true to your word...

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb283 View Post
    its not about MP its about your cameras image sensor that makes the higher quality pics, the iPhone 4 camera blows all other cameras on cell phones out of the water because it has the better sensor. Most people all they see is 14MP 12MP 10MP but never pay attention to the other specs which are way more important then how many MP u have on your cam. I'm sure Apple is aware of how the iPhone cam has crushes the competition and they will keep that going with the cameras they get from Sony.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'd much rather have the front camera improved, the rear facing one is fine for me...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TypeRBass For This Useful Post:

earthsfate (04-02-2011)

Thanks

I really wish people would learn that MP has NOTHING to do with the quality of the image captured.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Brinky For This Useful Post:

that_girl (04-02-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Please improve the front camera. I don't care about the back. It's flawless already on my iPhone 4.

They should have put better ones in the iPad 2 I'm quite happy the the iPhone 4 camera

I wish I had a miniature elephant that fit in the palm of my hand. I would pick him up and he'd lift up his trunk and stand on his back legs and say PRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHH and I would say yes little elephant i love you too.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyraincloud View Post
    great, now I WILL not buy the iPhone5 if it has anything related to sony in it.

geohot/liksang.com/rootkits ect?

SONY IS EVIL
    No

Quote Originally Posted by Brinky View Post
    I really wish people would learn that MP has NOTHING to do with the quality of the image captured.
    True, What you really want to look for is the fso and the aperture rate

Better front facing camera is all that needs improved

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

It would be about time to have 8MP camera.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast