+ Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Major Corporations Turn Attention to Jailbreak Scene

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Amraam Microsoft Security Essentials = free. Never had single virus get through. AVG is good too Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amraam View Post
    Microsoft Security Essentials = free. Never had single virus get through.
    AVG is good too

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi
    No confundas mi personalidad con mi actitud. Mi personalidad es quien soy yo, mi actitud depende de quien seas tú.

Thanks

I wanna see Microsoft make a theme 0.0

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi
    No confundas mi personalidad con mi actitud. Mi personalidad es quien soy yo, mi actitud depende de quien seas tú.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    Probably not much more, seeing as they will just turn to the devs. But it could mean cheaper better stuff because devs are on a company's payroll

Doubt it.. a company is not going to take liability that there method of jb broke your idev... cuz if it bricks it.... your gonna turn around and sue them... not gonna happen... dev team lives on... lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    We are still a small percentage
    i think because largely not many people know how to go about JB their phones especially all the cool tweaks they can get like sbsettings and bitesms(with quickreply from lockscreen), winterboard, etc... I have personally helped like 30 people who never even knew what jb was and now they are diehard apple iphone users for life

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wolverinemarky For This Useful Post:

an82mustang (04-03-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe if the jb hackers would charge for the jb hacks we would see jb sooner. Still waiting for 4.3.1, I hear its out there in beta.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LastSonOfKrypton View Post
    I wouldn't own an iPhone if I couldn't jailbreak it. They are a cool device for a day or two but after that you begin to realize all the functionality Apple doesn't give you which other OS' have stock. It's sad.
    Without JB the iPhone is a POS. The 3G is completely crippled.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weeman247 View Post
    This had to happen. Apple should really except the inevitable, jailbreaking will happen no matter what. They must know that many of their devices are sold on the fact that they are jailbreakable. My answer to apple is employ the brains behind the jailbreaks and hacks and manufacture your phones the way we want them. One's we can mod, customize etc.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Striknine's Avatar
    Thanks

I can foresee a day when we will have to pay for our jailbreak. As much of a demand as it is for it, I'm not sure why a dev wouldn't charge people. I would pay for it (although I do like the fact that it's free) I also would like more hackers working towards getting it to us sooner and untethered. If a few guys are currently delivering the jailbreaks a few weeks after an iOS update just picture how fast we would get it if there were 10 times as many people working on it. Who would pay say $20 for their jailbreak within the 1st week of a major update? I would and I also would expect for them to get paid good money for their hard work. There is money to be made in this industry and this is just a scratch on the surface.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    Windows let your neighbors see you naked unless you put up curtains ($100 a year virus protection).

I hope this starts a new trend for other companies. I would love to see Adobe adapt flash player to the iPhone, using Cydia as its main distributor. If Apple wants to have a stick up their *** over what can and cannot go on their precious device (that we own, not them), then I more than encourage major companies to bypass them using this method.

Surely this will **** Steve Jobs off, and we can expect to see harsher attempts at blocking the JB on future iDevices if this does indeed take off. He's too much of a control freak to let this whole thing go.
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 04-02-2011 at 04:17 PM. Reason: blah

If I have helped you, please consider the Thanks button

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lighter View Post
    The only reason I don't see big companies jumping all over this is because it relies on a JB to start off with. Now if you look at it... these days this JB's are starting to take longer and longer to come out and if a company is relying on this to make them money but now have to wait for someone to "hack" the device... well your business is on hold... just a thought...
    On a related note, if Company X makes an app that relies on JB, they can be held liable for anything that goes wrong in the system and Apple will be held blameless as they can say they had nothing to do with the app, it wasn't review/approved by them, it violates Apple API usage, etc. It will be difficult (read: not worth the investigation) for anyone to prove otherwise.

A theme here & there, possibly... but what company wants to deal with the PR and legal nightmare of having their cute little app be used as a viral-hijack tool for the iDev community? Smaller companies, those kind which are little more than 3 college-age guys hacking some apps out, will see a better risk-reward ratio. Bigger companies likely won't.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How true!

Quote Originally Posted by lighter View Post
    The only reason I don't see big companies jumping all over this is because it relies on a JB to start off with. Now if you look at it... these days this JB's are starting to take longer and longer to come out and if a company is relying on this to make them money but now have to wait for someone to "hack" the device... well your business is on hold... just a thought...
    How true!
    Last edited by lilljav; 04-02-2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LastSonOfKrypton View Post
    I wouldn't own an iPhone if I couldn't jailbreak it. They are a cool device for a day or two but after that you begin to realize all the functionality Apple doesn't give you which other OS' have stock. It's sad.
    I made the mistake of getting an iPhone 4 and dumped my 3GS. It was the longest most boring time I had with the iPhone.
    Ip5 can come out but if there isn't a jb I will forego the upgrade until a jail break comes out.
    Having corporate backing in the jailbreak community may help speed up the process, especially if they can make money off the community.

The percentage may still be small but the overall numbers of people that are jailbreaking is increasing.
    Influence a niche group, usually a more educated/informed group may be seen as a distribution channel.
    Think about modmyi, what's the percentage of jailbreakers that frequent this forum, I am sure its a small%. Yet information published here is disimenated to the rest of the community, rapidly at that.
    Let's not discount the influence the "minority of a community" can have on a product or service.
    Last edited by bruinsrme; 04-02-2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

What if apple bought Cydia and implemented it into the iOS and ran it like the app store kinda. That'd be sweet!!

Thanks

Like someone else said, I just hope this doesn't mean brutal and un-ignorable ad campaigns on Cydia. I do like the idea of wide corporate acceptance, as that can only broaden jailbreaking acceptability worldwide, but I still like it that many people avoid it because they think it's illegal. Kinda like if everyone else didn't like ice cream. More for me, you know?

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Bro I am glad you said that!

The thing I just don't understand is why a company would spend millions of dollars on a trivial thing as jailbreaking and not spend it on things that would make there business better and their product more productive.

Only reason I can think of is SJ is jealous of Saurik.

He must want Saurik's profit from Cydia also.

JMO

Thanks

How come the lock screens don't look like your example?

All they did was change the font, and the slide message. Disappointed. No picture of a car, no slider button that looks like a car.
    Last edited by exNavy; 04-02-2011 at 01:40 PM.
    Hmm...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robsbrutal View Post
    What if apple bought Cydia and implemented it into the iOS and ran it like the app store kinda. That'd be sweet!!
    That would be horrible! Apple would destroy everything the devs have worked for years on. They would remove packages gradually until there was nothing left but the crApp Store.

h2a
    Thanks

I would only support corporations using Cydia if the jailbreaks came out more consistently and a lot faster. Right now the people making them have real lives to tend to and thus leaving us without a jailbreak a lot longer than a team who perhaps if they were funded, would be able to release almost same-day jailbreaks.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Major companies will be interested but soon realize that you can get everything free on Cydia but it's still exciting

Green Apple
    Thanks

i think apple has to do something.

maybe they should think about ther appstore policitys.
    e.g they could add a section to the app store as "non tested apps"
    for this section you have to agree something like apple is not responible for damages or additional coasts.

and in this section everybody can release things.