Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SoftBank CEO Replaces Lost iPhones After Japanese Quake

generous but kind of useless. they just said all the towers were pretty mug destroyed. also they lost their homes who cares about a freaking phone after a relative died?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley John Wright View Post
    After the quake, some 3,800 of SoftBank's cell towers were taken out of commission. This made it impossible for any SoftBank customers to make or receive calls in the affected area. All cellular providers were affected by this devastating earthquake.
    Good story... But how does one make a call when most of the cell towers were taken out of commission? Lol... poor kids are gonna have cell phones but no service! Thats awful! What kind of company gives away free phones with no service!!! Oh wait, nvm... AT&T's been doing that for years.

(Just noticed Mrteacup posted pretty much the same thing at the same time... great minds think alike!)
    Last edited by Eagleye; 03-31-2011 at 07:38 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagleye For This Useful Post:

2006yamahaR6 (03-31-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Way to go.

wow i'm surprised by the negative responses here - yes, it is true that a cellphone will not replace a nurturing mother and father, but atleast he's doing something. The unfortunate reality is that this is more generosity than we've seen in the US for a while. Our consumer culture obsesses over more more more for me me me. We dont even stop to think and be thankful for all we have

good job softbank

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

That's awesome, setting a great example for others!

God bless this people who is helping and the ones helping. This is good stuff sorry to all the kids who lost the parents to all who lost a loved one. real sad. R.I.P each one of then and God Bless
    Instagram: zplit
    Twitter: zplit

Has any one thought this is bad idea hey you lost your home all yourbelongings have a iphone great thanks really nice of you can I please ask one other thing can I have a solar power charger for my phone you see I don't have a house so I can't charge it ... Laptop good to so I can jb it and unlock it lol

Nice to know that theres still good in the world, hats of to you Mr. Son
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

I wonder how many of those kids asked if they could trade it in on an android. Lol Jk. But I bet apple is pretty happy

Quote Originally Posted by Sanady361 View Post
    You'd never see this done in the U.S.
    Nope, instead your taxes along with everyone else's taxes go to pay for the relief effort that we supply and support for Japan, Libya, Iraq, etc.....

As for the US............ I think we are generous enough as it is with the rest of the world. Now if the big corporations want to do more, please do. Just as long as it isn't coming out of my pocket considering I have my own future and future of my children to plan for.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanady361 View Post
    You'd never see this done in the U.S.
    Just like you'd never see an American "imported" car in Japan, drive itself off a cliff! If ur so impressed with the Japanese, buy a Toyota with a mind of it's own & use it to deliver free stuff across the good 'old U.S. of A. Since the U.S. is so lacking in compasion, ur donations will be greatly appreciated. Since it's easier to say nothings being done instead of doing it urself, what have u done to reverse this belief that "you'd never see this in the U.S."???

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Time and time again, I find myself marveling at the integrity of the Japanese.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I swear reading message board comments let's you know how many pointless human beings there are on this planet.

Some of you should simply be removed from life in general.

The man used HIS resources to help in the way that he can. It's easy to talk **** from the sidelines isn't it?

As far as whether this would happen in the US, we're certainly not short on philanthropy and kindness in the US. Aside from that, WHO GIVES A ****, WHETHER IT WOULD OR WOULDN'T? It happened where it needed to happen in the way that it did.
    Last edited by trek-life; 03-31-2011 at 09:21 AM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trek-life For This Useful Post:

2006yamahaR6 (03-31-2011), confucious (04-01-2011)

This is definitely a kind gesture, I hope others in a position like his would do the same. I just hope that it's for the right reasons & not like most "good will" gestures that have an alterior motive. The present/future will produce history, we can some day look back on. Then & only then will u be able to distinguish the good, from the good "P.R!" I've always been taught "ain't nothing free in this world" & "u should be skeptical of any salespersons claims!" Wtvr the reasons, I'd have to "give mad props" to this guy because of his kind gestures in Japans time of need. I could honestly say that if I were a 14 yr. old kid, stuck in a government institution after my parents &/or family was killed in a tsunami, a brand new & free iPhone would greatly lift my spirits! Although it's quite arrogant to think an iPhone could replace ur parents, I don't believe that were his intentions but for myself it would be a great distraction to the reality of the situation. I could only imagine any personal tragedy of my own, on even a scale of 1/10th to what has happened in Japan & if I was without my iPhone it would be even more devastating! My condolences to all the people who've lost loved ones in Japan, kudos to this guy & anyone else who donates time, money or goods without an alterior motive but solely for the good of mankind! Peace & love, peace & love!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If the U.S. ever goes completely in the toilet (and it looks like we're headed there)....Japan is the first relocation alternative on my list.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Anyone here can be an armchair quarterback with their snide remarks about taste and what he did. The fact remains there are likely a lot of orphans, they will now have phones, and won't have to worry about how they will pay that bill and can focus on using their phone to communicate and find lost family members and friends once the cell towers get repaired.

Regardless of what he did, that is a lot of money to spend and we know the U.S. corporate world is capable of that kind of compassion but likely wouldn't do it.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to alexevo For This Useful Post:

Lombardo Joe (03-31-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It's a nice gesture, but I can't help but feel anyone who's getting a free iPhone would probably prefer to get something more practical given their situation, like a small trust fund, or help with housing, clothing, food etc.
    I know the SoftBank CEO doesn't mean it this way but it came across to me as if to say here's a free iPhone to replace your parents.
    I'm not ragging on the CEO, it's a nice thing he's done, and hell of a lot more than most other people would do.

Great gesture, way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg05 View Post
    Goes to prove there are still goodness in the world.
    I agree...

Maybe more kindness will come to those, from others after seeing this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast