Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is There a Spy on the Dev-Team?

The jailbreak is often the easier part. Getting the code to a spot where it will automatically execute on start so it doesn't need to be tethered is what is harder (I believe).

Twitter: @tshoults

Sad day when one of are own betrays the community
    "We don't need bullets, We need Pie's"

What I don't understand that it was never properly fixed 4.0.2 through 4.3 why not then?

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Daniel Ash View Post

With iOS 4.3.1 apparently having been specifically released to burn an exploit held in reserve by @comex, he is now publicly speculating that Apple may have a mole on the Dev-Team itself. The genius dev behind Spirit and JailbreakMe is acknowledging that he is possibly being "paranoid," but says in a tweet that "it's really hard to explain" the patch of his exploit as "anything but a leak." He did, however, stop short of pointing any fingers at specific people.

In a separate tweet, @comex noted that the exploit that he had been holding in reserve was "actually the kernel exploit used by JailbreakMe 2.0," the userland jailbreak released in August of last year for iOS 4.0 and earlier. Though Apple released iOS 4.0.2 to disable the tool, @comex says "it was never properly fixed," and so he was holding it in reserve.

Another tweeter pointed out the fact that it was certainly possible that Apple had discovered the hole on their own. However, @comex noted that it was a "funny thing" that the vulnerability, which had been present in releases 4.0.2 through 4.3, suddenly was "magically found in time" for 4.3.1, which was exactly the release @comex had been saving the exploit for.

It's an alarming idea, and people should probably be very careful about spreading worries about Apple spies inside the Dev-Team. Secrecy is a necessity, of course, but if jailbreakers begin suspecting and accusing each other, then the community gets divided, which of course plays into Apple's hands. Meanwhile, as @comex himself said: "go go @MuscleNerd and @i0n1c," and later noted that he's currently at work reversing i0nic's untether.

Source: Twitter
    This article does nothing but spread FUD! Absolutely pathetic to sit there and throw up pure conjecture in your article and then proceed to explain later in the same article how such FUD is negative for the community.

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default secrecy & FUD
    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Yet you post this on ModMyI's news while comex tweets about it? So much for secrecy...
    I was referring to secrecy about exploits that haven't been burned. Everybody who's working on JBs doesn't necessarily always tell everybody else exactly what they are working on and planning, but if people stop communicating entirely because they fear spies that may or may not even exist... then that'd kind of suck.

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    This article does nothing but spread FUD! Absolutely pathetic to sit there and throw up pure conjecture in your article and then proceed to explain later in the same article how such FUD is negative for the community.
    I'm not sure I understand the criticism. Is it wrong that to write that one of the most high-profile devs made a sensational claim, or wrong to point out that it's potentially a negative thing?
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 03-29-2011 at 03:31 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Maybe they just went back and "properly fixed" the hole, afterall they already know about the hole just never properly fixed it.
    If you really want to weed out the leak, look around and see who recently start pimpin phat gears around the office

Ok, this was coming anyway, I read last week on gizmodo that BGR was informed that 4.3.1 is coming in the next few days (it did) and its spesificly breaking a jailbreak which the dev team just reassured now, do you think that a lone wolf can't show up at the dev teams door (email) saying he's been tinkering around and found an exploit, feed them the exploit earning their trust with future exploits, now this lone wolf is an apple employee and an inside spy

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Thats what you get for holding in the exploit!

Until Geohot doesn't come back, chances of there ever being a true untethered jailbreak are extremely low
    !

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

whatever happened to Shatter?

iPhone? More like MyPhone johnr9412's Avatar
    Thanks

Can't he still release it? I purposely haven't updated to iOS 4.3.1(still on 4.3) for this reason
    my SPOON is too big

Quote Originally Posted by Be Expressive View Post
    Sad day when one of are own betrays the community
    It has not been proven that 'one of our (note correct spelling) own' betrayed anyone.

The fact that a spy is the only explanation comex can come up with might speak more to his ego than anything else. He clearly thinks he is the only one, or one of a select few, who can find an exploit.

Hopefully big money didn't buy a rat on the dev team! I need my iPad 2 jailbroken...

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

That would be a sad day If there were really an info leak...

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

That's why jailbreaking should be done by the people that do the jailbreaking all the time and keep info to themselves. 2-3 of them not 15 of them no wonder one is ratting out.

Quote Originally Posted by JHH09 View Post
    comex should release it for 4.3 anyways
    Not ! Wait until further release. I'd post pone it until iOS 5!

And 4.3.1 JB is already out!
    Last edited by delusion950; 03-29-2011 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Just read Geohot has released Rubyrain for untethered 4.3.1 to work on most devices. Anyone know if true? I'm driving so can't check too deeply?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

OMG! It's saurik all along!!! Nooooooo!!!!

Last edited by Eagleye; 03-29-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Not the first leaked exploit. Did we forget about SHAtter?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

DMI187 (03-29-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

WTF this would be a sad day for the jailbreak community if turns out to b true.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    The jailbreak is often the easier part. Getting the code to a spot where it will automatically execute on start so it doesn't need to be tethered is what is harder (I believe).
    Correct, but also (in a way) not.

What many people don't realize is that Jailbreakme 2.0 (and Star, and any other totally userland-based) jailbreaks are a combination of exploits and payloads. Star and JBME 2.0 both used three separate exploits. One exploit was used to deliver the code onto the device (FreeType font hole exploited via PDF in JBME), one was to get it running correctly on the device (Incomplete Codesign; ROP payload was shoved into launchd) and to patch the kernel on every boot without failing a sigcheck (IOSurface).

iOS 4.3.1 would be no different, perhaps harder (due to Address Space Layout Randomization, making the ROP attack possibly much more difficult to pull off). One exploit was re-used (the IOSurface one I bet), but the other two have long been patched.

Perhaps the other two "new" exploits (ingression method and running the payload) haven't been patched yet. Or they were leaked to Apple as well, and those in the know are being silent. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    Not the first leaked exploit. Did we forget about SHAtter?
    SHAtter (or at least one of its very key components) had (if version numbers don't lie) been patched before the release of the first iPad. Yeah, it was small-scale leaked subsequently to that, but Apple wasn't totally blindsided by it either.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

jasvncnt10 (03-30-2011), moon#pie (03-29-2011)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast