+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Improved Voice Command Reportedly Coming with iOS 5

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Improved Voice Command Reportedly Coming with iOS 5

On the heels of Apple's confirmation that the future of its iOS will be on display at the WWDC, which commences this year on June 6th at San Francisco's Moscone West, there is rampant speculation about what the refreshed operating system will serve up. On Tuesday, sources close to the development of iOS 5 say Apple is aiming to drastically improve upon voice commands.

Last year, through the acquisition of Siri, Apple gained access to groundbreaking technologies so intelligent that, if implemented via iDevices, could make our favorite Apple products like the iPhone vastly "smarter" than any previous model. Siri, after all, has pioneered applications that enable users to deliver voice commands that prompt the app to do the research or other legwork required to complete a particular task.

The use of Siriís artificial intelligence and assistance technology is said to be deeply integrated into the OS for all the different services offered.
    Given the supposed robust slate of improvements planned for iOS 5, the new operating system may be demoed in June but not actually released until fall. Sources speaking on a basis of anonymity with Tech Crunch on Friday revealed that iOS 5 will definitely not be released during summer. Among the major tweaks coming with iOS 5 are cloud-based features for online storage of music, photos and video.

While many are already speculating the iPhone 5 will debut at the same time as iOS 5 in fall, at this time there is really no concrete evidence to otherwise suggest that Apple will stray from tradition and not release the 5th generation iPhone in June at WWDC.

Source: Tech Crunch

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (04-01-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

o great there adding skynet on my phone i dont want that.....

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I can honestly say I have NEVER used the Voice Command on my iPhone4. Sure when I first got the phone I played around and tried it, but on a day-to-day basis, Voice Command does not offer me any gain. It is a cool feature, but for me, that is all it is...cool.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fmlouder View Post
    o great there adding skynet on my phone i dont want that.....
    Skynet will take over...welcome to the matrix

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperextension View Post
    I can honestly say I have NEVER used the Voice Command on my iPhone4. Sure when I first got the phone I played around and tried it, but on a day-to-day basis, Voice Command does not offer me any gain. It is a cool feature, but for me, that is all it is...cool.
    Do you never call anyone while you're in the car? I find it MUCH easier to voice dial than fumble through my contacts while trying to pay attention to the road.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I use voice command almost everyday between the gym and selecting music in my car. Its about time apple stepped up, the android voice command system is much better
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

Thanks

Voice activator FTW lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    The main thing stopping me from using Voice Command is that fact that it takes to long to start. Press and hold home, once the screen shows, wait a few seconds, then speak. To me, it takes too long to be useful.

Thanks

Apple used to be the kings of voice commands. I just wanna be able to text with voice. Wow the trouble that would save me.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mookest View Post
    Apple used to be the kings of voice commands. I just wanna be able to text with voice. Wow the trouble that would save me.
    Dragon Dictation?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Not the Terminator references again!

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

cant wait sounds like ios5 is gonna be a powerhouse which probably means the 3gs will be cut off lol

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Voice control IMO is fail

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    Dragon Dictation?
    Vlingo is better, IMO.

*EDIT: I use Vlingo to find places on the built in maps app while on the road and it works like a charm. I just tried it with texting and apparently to use Vling to compose texts & emails requires purchasing it for $6.99 for each function, or $9.99 to be able to do both.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to AUZambo For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (03-29-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    Vlingo is better, IMO.

*EDIT: I use Vlingo to find places on the built in maps app while on the road and it works like a charm. I just tried it with texting and apparently to use Vling to compose texts & emails requires purchasing it for $6.99 for each function, or $9.99 to be able to do both.
    $6.99 for Vlingo speech to SMS is the best purchase I've ever made. I used it for voice dial, web searches and FB updates at first then realized it was a really accurate app and upgraded a week later with no regrets.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I think the iPhone 5 will come out a little later than usual. Hopefully so they can get stuff like this running smoothly on the device and use LTE! I also think that if Apple is implementing new voice command software into the i5 that it'll take it to a whole new level and once again beat out the competition.
    Last edited by steve-z17; 03-29-2011 at 11:50 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

TTS would be boss if it was integrated into the native SMS app. I dont like having to respond to a SMS from Dragon Dictation.

Id like to see Swype on IOS, in the native SMS app.
    If you think Im serious, thats funny.

Thanks

The problem with dragon dictation is, you still have to launch the app, speak, copy, and paste it in the text reply ... and while addmittidly not taking as long as typing a text message, still takes my eyes off the road, which I don't like.

Does Vlingo work right in the message app? Or is the same copy/paste premise.

We have the iphones and also a droid and the new Thunderbolt, and the voice to text app in andriod is far superior in application, though sometimes it "hears" things oddly. LOL

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleBeez View Post
    The problem with dragon dictation is, you still have to launch the app, speak, copy, and paste it in the text reply ... and while addmittidly not taking as long as typing a text message, still takes my eyes off the road, which I don't like.

Does Vlingo work right in the message app? Or is the same copy/paste premise.

We have the iphones and also a droid and the new Thunderbolt, and the voice to text app in andriod is far superior in application, though sometimes it "hears" things oddly. LOL
    You can launch the app using chpwn's Voice Activator. You can even launch from outside the lockscreen (as long as there's no passcode lock currently active) by adding an "Open URL" action like "dictation:" (For those apps that don't have CFBundleURLSchemes defined, you'll need to manually edit the app's info.plist file using iFile or vi, etc., and then reboot the phone.) But you're right about the copying and pasting - not a good idea to do that while driving...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    Do you never call anyone while you're in the car? I find it MUCH easier to voice dial than fumble through my contacts while trying to pay attention to the road.
    Much easier and way quicker to use Click2Call.