+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Delay in iPhone 5 Release May Have Something to Do With LTE

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Delay in iPhone 5 Release May Have Something to Do With LTE

The internet was abuzz with rumors of the past few days reporting that this year's Apple WWDC would not feature any new hardware, and would focus strictly on software (as the invitation suggests.) WWDC has been the place where the iPhone 3G, 3Gs, and 4 have all been announced, so it would seem likely that Apple would announce the fifth-generation iPhone at WWDC 2011. Many reports however, are now suggesting otherwise, but today TechCrunch has released a detailed report explaining what they believe to coming in iOS 5, and then continues to mention why we may not see an iPhone 5 at WWDC, and their answer is simple: LTE.

LTE (short for Long Term Evolution) is the technology behind both AT&T's and Verizon's 4G network. Verizon is slightly ahead of their nemesis in their rollout schedule, but both companies should have much of the United States blanketed in 4G LTE by the end of 2013. Verizon in fact, just released their first Android device that is capable of running on the new 4G network, and reviews have widely praised the incredible speed (particularly compared to other technologies that are being touted as '4G,' such as Sprint's WiMax and T-Mobile's HSPDA) that rivals home broadband. It may make sense for Apple to continue its work on 4G LTE over the summer, and then release one single device that was capable of running old protocols (GSM and CDMA) as well as LTE. In fact, Apple's current Qualcomm chip in the Verizon iPhone 4 is already capable of both GSM and CDMA. Apple just needs to redesign their antenna to accommodate it.

This rumor makes the previous rumors of a delayed iPhone make a whole lot of sense. It also is in line with previous reports that the iPhone 5 will not see a significant exterior redesign (besides the occasional report of a four-inch screen- I wouldn't count on it.) This could be because the significant redesign would happen on the interior. TecCrunch is quick to point out that Apple COO "addressed the LTE topic directly," when he stated at the launch of the Verizon iPhone: " 'The first generation LTE chipsets force some design compromises. Some of which we would not make.'

Apple is undoubtedly preparing an LTE iPhone, the question is whether we'll see it in the next revision of the iPhone or not. TechCrunch's analysts suggest a less than ten-percent chance of 4G LTE coming to the iPhone 5 if it gets released this summer, but a fifty-percent chance if the phone is released this fall. It may make sense for Apple to wait now, in order to truly provide a next-generation handset and not fall-behind by not including 4G LTE in the iPhone until summer 2012.

Source:
    TechCrunch
    9to5Mac
    Engadget - Thunderbolt Review

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Savoca For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (03-29-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'd be down for a 4g enabled iPhone released in the fall

Banned
    Thanks

why would Apple deploy an LTE phone as soon as 4G is rolled out. Apple always waits a year or two.
    What I mean is it's unlike them to implement the technology as soon as it's released
    Last edited by z3r01; 03-29-2011 at 10:48 AM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IXAdamOwnzXI For This Useful Post:

bruinsrme (03-30-2011), johnr9412 (03-29-2011), Poseidon79 (03-29-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well they did wait for the second iPhone to go 3G when they could have put it on the first gen.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple should wait to release the iPhone 5 until they have LTE installed. The iPhone 4 is already outdated technology and an iPhone 5 without LTE would make no sense at all!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Doubt it.
    LTE/4G isn't anywhere near widely available worldwide.

Btw, that mockup doesn't have volume and mute buttons in the side profile

9. The Following User Says Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (03-29-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

It's reported that LTE will not be widespread until the end of 2013. Why would Apple put LTE in their phone in 2011?! It seems great in theory but it would only benefit a small minority of users. It would make a lot more sense to introduce LTE next year.

Thanks

Anyone else think that mocup is SEXY!?
    "Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower."
    - Steve Jobs

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I am all for Apple holding off a bit for iPhone5. The iPhone4 is much more advanced than the 3GS. The 3GS was not much of a jump from the 3G. With a 3GS I was anxiously awaiting the iPhone4. Now however, with my iPhone4, I can wait a bit longer as long as the upgrade to iPhone5 is worth it. My iPhone4 is running great and is awesome. Would hate to have Apple release something that is not much better. Makes sense to hold off and release something that is actually something.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Go Gators View Post
    Apple should wait to release the iPhone 5 until they have LTE installed. The iPhone 4 is already outdated technology and an iPhone 5 without LTE would make no sense at all!
    The iPhone 4 is not even the least bit outdated. It uses HSPA+ chips which AT&T isn't even done rolling out yet. They (AT&T) have upgraded their network from 7.2Mbps to 14.4Mbps HSPA+ over the last couple years. I think the iPhone needs an upgraded chipset to utilize 14.4Mbs instead of LTE at this point in time.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

Riviera (03-30-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Kil0111's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    The iPhone 4 is not even the least bit outdated. It uses HSPA+ chips which AT&T isn't even done rolling out yet. They (AT&T) have upgraded their network from 7.2Mbps to 14.4Mbps HSPA+ over the last couple years. I think the iPhone needs an upgraded chipset to utilize 14.4Mbs instead of LTE at this point in time.
    I concur

Removed for being inappropriate. This is your sixth and final warning -

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperextension View Post
    I am all for Apple holding off a bit for iPhone5. The iPhone4 is much more advanced than the 3GS. The 3GS was not much of a jump from the 3G. With a 3GS I was anxiously awaiting the iPhone4. Now however, with my iPhone4, I can wait a bit longer as long as the upgrade to iPhone5 is worth it. My iPhone4 is running great and is awesome. Would hate to have Apple release something that is not much better. Makes sense to hold off and release something that is actually something.
    You need to brush up on your specs buddy. iPhone 2G > 3G was almost NOTHING in regard to upgrades except the 3G chip set which actually slowed down the overall UI. Same processor, same ram, same camera, same screen.
    iPhone 3G > 3GS massive changes. upgraded camera, better processor, 2X RAM
    3GS > iPhone 4 more massive changes. upgraded screen, processor, camera, RAM.
    iPhone 4 > iPhone 5 - minimal changes. dual core processor, same screen, possibly more RAM although not needed, possibly same cameras.. the 5MP takes crazy good pictures.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Well Mobile operators have only just began to buy the 4g licences over here in the UK.

Thanks

Not a surprise to me. Had network failure all around my area. When I talked to AT&T they told me they were upgrading all towers around me to run 4G. Also I asked why and the response was next iPhone coming will be on 4G. Also they have a test model they have been using to see how well the iPhone will work on AT&T network.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mmurphmsu's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    You need to brush up on your specs buddy. iPhone 2G > 3G was almost NOTHING in regard to upgrades except the 3G chip set which actually slowed down the overall UI. Same processor, same ram, same camera, same screen.
    iPhone 3G > 3GS massive changes. upgraded camera, better processor, 2X RAM
    3GS > iPhone 4 more massive changes. upgraded screen, processor, camera, RAM.
    iPhone 4 > iPhone 5 - minimal changes. dual core processor, same screen, possibly more RAM although not needed, possibly same cameras.. the 5MP takes crazy good pictures.
    So your saying the 3GS is greater than the iPhone 4???? I think you meant 3GS
    Please hit "Thanks!" if I helped you.

Thanks

Apple is adding a flux capacitor on the iPhone 5 but doc still needs some things before implementation
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to z3r01 For This Useful Post:

iFrosty (04-01-2011), justinpotter81 (03-29-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone waroftyr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IXAdamOwnzXI View Post
    why would Apple deploy an LTE phone as soon as 4G is rolled out. Apple always waits a year or two.
    What I mean is it's unlike them to implement the technology as soon as it's released
    True but not true. they did make the iphone 3gs capable of handling 7.2 mbps even though at&t didnt support it yet. Not to mention you have to keep in mind apple sells iphones in more than just the united states.
    If i said something you like or helped you out, don't be shy hit that thanks button

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

This one's for you Sammo....guess you shouldn't have disregarded it after all eh? Considering I posted this in the WWDC thread an hour after it was announced.

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ 3/28/2011
    An article was released an hour ago stating that "sources" believe there will be no iPhone 5 announcement at this year's WWDC.
    Anyhow on a side note, I'd be willing to wait a little longer for this release as long as it does in fact have 4G compatibility....considering AT&T has already released phones that do even though the 4g network is not widespread yet. I really hope this is the reason for the delay and not another "manufacturing problem".

Green Apple
    Thanks

AT&T Is selling 4G phones already on 3G service

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XFaega View Post
    Not a surprise to me. Had network failure all around my area. When I talked to AT&T they told me they were upgrading all towers around me to run 4G. Also I asked why and the response was next iPhone coming will be on 4G. Also they have a test model they have been using to see how well the iPhone will work on AT&T network.
    That rep gave you a whole lot of insight for some reason

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast