+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Delay in iPhone 5 Release May Have Something to Do With LTE

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Poseidon79 Y'all really need to do some research on Sprint's 4G WIMAX, Verizon's LTE, and AT&T's LTE networks. Real world tests don't show much speed increase if
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Y'all really need to do some research on Sprint's 4G WIMAX, Verizon's LTE, and AT&T's LTE networks. Real world tests don't show much speed increase if any over a high quality 3G network. T-Mobile is touting their network as 4G and AT&T is touting their HSPA+ network as 4G based on technicalities. The Atrix 4G on AT&T's LTE network is a huge fail when is came to actual data speeds. It's all marketing crap and the fact that most everyone here is begging for LTE without doing a shred of research of when it will be available in your market or how well it even works means that the marketing gimmicks are working.
    Dude, it is plausible that Appple will have 4g this year. Why? The answer is simple: Lightning Bolt. Apple released that tech when there is still no market for that tech. Most people, this website included, said it made no sense to include hardware that is still in its infancy. Do Apple need to release 4g now? Of course not, to be honest, Apple doesn't need to release 4g until 2013--the year it will cover most markets in the United States. But will they? I don't think so. Sometimes Apple considers the future, not only the present, and they think on a global perspective, not just a national one. I can't say it's definitive that 4g will release on the iPhone 5, but I will say that it is plausible.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

First of all it's Thunderbolt or Light Peak technology. The symbol Apple uses is a lightning bolt haha. Second.. Apple and Intel co-developed this technology so it only made sense for Apple to be a pioneer in introducing this in their new products. Apple is at the mercy of the carriers in this case to deploy LTE. Apple would be foolish to spend the money on LTE components that will not be utilized in 90% of the market. More proof I really DON'T want my iPhone to be "4G" yet.
    Crippled Phones Reveal AT&T Isn’t Ready for 4G | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Here.. ya might want to brush up on this too.
    http://www.apple.com/thunderbolt/
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 03-30-2011 at 10:16 AM.

Thanks

It'd be a bad business strategy and cost and resource strategy to be waiting just so that they could have the iphone be on a 4G network.

Like with the first iphone and the iphone 3G, apple would want to make a cutting edge iphone with nice features and then a year later release the same exact phone with maybe a slightly different look and 4G enabled. That way, they won't have to put resources into making new features and they could save those features for the year later and keep getting people to cough up money to buy the next generation device (since obviously no matter what it is the old version is never good enough).

I would find a decision to delay the iphone until the fall surprising and a decision to delay the iphone so that it could have a 4G network even more surprising.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Why is AT&T having so many problems with implementing their 4G network?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 737 Posts

Go figure
    My latest theme - -

Thanks

First of all it's Thunderbolt or Light Peak technology. The symbol Apple uses is a lightning bolt haha. Second.. Apple and Intel co-developed this technology so it only made sense for Apple to be a pioneer in introducing this in their new products. Apple is at the mercy of the carriers in this case to deploy LTE. Apple would be foolish to spend the money on LTE components that will not be utilized in 90% of the market. More proof I really DON'T want my iPhone to be "4G" yet.
    Crippled Phones Reveal AT&T Isn’t Ready for 4G | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Here.. ya might want to brush up on this too.
    Apple - Thunderbolt: Next-generation high-speed I/O technology.
    1. You don't have to be condescending: show me the same respect I've been showing you.

2. Also, if I'm not mistaken, wasn't the iPhone 3gs capable of handling 7.2 mbps even though at&t didnt support it yet? So wouldn't it be plausible for Apple to roll it out in the fall.

3. Also, what about Verizon? Verizon will be available in 145 metro areas by the end of 2011... While Verizon will be most prepared at the end of 2013, it will have a decent network by the end of 2011...

4. Wouldn't 2013 or 2014 (iPhone 2g anyone?) make the most sense? If I'm wrong, which is possible, wouldn't 2012 make no sense either? The networks would be most prepared in 2013-2014, not this year or next year...
    Last edited by y0ungSir; 03-30-2011 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks

i just hope they fix the drop calls

Thanks

It's just rumors

Thanks
    yea i dont mine waited just get us some 4g lte apple

Green Apple
    Thanks

A few points to look at:
    1. First gen iPhone - EDGE based (Apple cited battery life concerns as to why they used it) while 3G tech was still standard however at the same time 4G technologies were being implemented and tested.
    2. iPhone 3G - Yay 3g is here and the public are not happy still because it has 3G instead of 3G+ (HSPA+)
    3. iPhone 3GS - Yay we now have 3G+ (HSPA+) and no network support for it (AT&T/Cingular claim the up network updates yet i have yet to see the 3G+ symbol on my phone and i have been coast to cost since getting my 3GS) yet Sprint is now rolling out their 4G implementation under the name Clear.
    4. iPhone 4 - Still HSPA+ 4G tech still rolling out yet not a damn person is complaining that i4 is out of date and behind and yet most of us Americans don't realize that the rest of the world had better implementation of the 4G networks globally (yes people America is a bit behind in the cellular tech race get over it).
    5. Last AT&T is buying the largest 4G network owner T-Mobile or at least put a bin in for it. That is also why they are changing their name back to Cingular.

So in conclusion why would crapple put a new battery eating, unsupported, and rush job chip into their phone? They won;t they will wait give us what we want later. rather than sooner it will allow them to give us what we want at a later date and give us the chance to re buy the same slightly redesigned product yet again. They also wont upset that precious 11-13 month release schedule. 4G out on iPhone 5 and HSPA+ is in. Get Over It.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to viperstarpoint9 For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (03-31-2011), Riviera (03-31-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by y0ungSir View Post
    1. You don't have to be condescending: show me the same respect I've been showing you.

2. Also, if I'm not mistaken, wasn't the iPhone 3gs capable of handling 7.2 mbps even though at&t didnt support it yet? So wouldn't it be plausible for Apple to roll it out in the fall.

3. Also, what about Verizon? Verizon will be available in 145 metro areas by the end of 2011... While Verizon will be most prepared at the end of 2013, it will have a decent network by the end of 2011...

4. Wouldn't 2013 or 2014 (iPhone 2g anyone?) make the most sense? If I'm wrong, which is possible, wouldn't 2012 make no sense either? The networks would be most prepared in 2013-2014, not this year or next year...
    1. I wasn't being condescending. Blatant misuse of tech vocabulary just made me laugh. Also your reasoning for Thunderbolt to support 4G integration makes no sense at all since one is hard wired computer I/O peripherals vs wireless cell phone connectivity.

2. You are correct about the 3GS implementing 7.2Mbps when it wasn't widely available; however, it is still the same type of overall technology which just meant a minor spec bump... not a completely different chip set to integrate next generation protocols that are much father out than 7.2Mbps was at that time.

3. Verizon is father along in their LTE deployment than AT&T however if teh merger with T-Mobile goes through they will be neck and neck. It really wouldn't make sense to introduce a CDMA iPhone 5 only a few months after the iPhone 4 was launched on Verizon. I just don't see them launching AT&T and Verizon models at the same time due to manufacturing constraints.

4. Your last argument is 100% valid and supports exactly what I'm saying. Why push a product that won't work in 90% of the market when launched. The same people begging for 4G will be the first to complain about the crappy coverage and slow data transfer speeds.

Thanks

It is interesting that Poseidon79 typed teh instead of the on point 3 - one mistake I often make.

It is also noticeable that he seems to be the only one talking sense in this thread....
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (03-31-2011)

Thanks

The iPhone 5 will be some clever way to patch limera1n or the like.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iFrosty's Avatar
    Thanks

1. I wasn't being condescending. Blatant misuse of tech vocabulary just made me laugh. Also your reasoning for Thunderbolt to support 4G integration makes no sense at all since one is hard wired computer I/O peripherals vs wireless cell phone connectivity.

2. You are correct about the 3GS implementing 7.2Mbps when it wasn't widely available; however, it is still the same type of overall technology which just meant a minor spec bump... not a completely different chip set to integrate next generation protocols that are much father out than 7.2Mbps was at that time.

3. Verizon is father along in their LTE deployment than AT&T however if teh merger with T-Mobile goes through they will be neck and neck. It really wouldn't make sense to introduce a CDMA iPhone 5 only a few months after the iPhone 4 was launched on Verizon. I just don't see them launching AT&T and Verizon models at the same time due to manufacturing constraints.

4. Your last argument is 100% valid and supports exactly what I'm saying. Why push a product that won't work in 90% of the market when launched. The same people begging for 4G will be the first to complain about the crappy coverage and slow data transfer speeds.
    Im glad someone said something about thunderbolt. Idk how THAT got thrown into the equation

I had the inspire 4g on att for 3 days and was happy with my so called "4g" since i live in and area with great coverage (im sure some people think this doesnt exist on ATT )
    But the batterylife was crap an it had to go.
    I would think and hope that apple sits it out until there is actually a "4g" network and a good way to preserve battery with a "4g" antenna.
    Honestly people, is there a NEED to upgrade from the iphone 4 right now??
    Last edited by iFrosty; 04-01-2011 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Grammer

Green Apple
    Thanks

i believe that apple can make the next iphone seem like an actual next generation iphone within the time span they have , they could release it late summer its possible with apple

+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234