+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Releases iOS 4.3.1, as Jailbreakers Are Urged to Proceed with Caution

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Moments ago, Apple released iOS 4.3.1, a relatively minuscule security and maintenance update widely anticipated to drop soon anyway for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Immediately following the announcement,
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple Releases iOS 4.3.1, as Jailbreakers Are Urged to Proceed with Caution

Moments ago, Apple released iOS 4.3.1, a relatively minuscule security and maintenance update widely anticipated to drop soon anyway for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

Immediately following the announcement, caution was urged by the jailbreak community with regard to the update. Minutes ago, MuscleNerd tweeted: "Unlockers please stay away from today's iOS 4.3.1! Just to be extra safe, so should future iPad2 jailbreakers (for now)." He subsequently added: "It's very unlikely they fixed the bug in comex's unreleased iPad2 jailbreak, but you never know. Better to wait for confirmation first."

For the time being, the update is not for the CDMA iPhone 4, only GSM iPhone 4. The CDMA iPhone 4 remains married to iOS 4.2.6. According to Apple, here's what iOS 4.3.1 gets you:
    • Fixes an occasional graphics glitch on iPod touch (4th generation)
    • Resolves bugs related to activating and connecting to some cellular networks
    • Fixes image flicker when using Apple Digital AV Adapter with some TVs
    • Resolves an issue authenticating with some enterprise web services
    In addition to the GSM iPhone 4, the iOS 4.3.1 update supports iPhone 3GS, iPad, iPad 2, and iPod touch (3rd & 4th gen). Direct Firmware Downloads

Despite what some iPhone users were expecting, Apple did not use this update to address the reported battery life issues that developed following the previous update to 4.3.

Source: Apple
    Last edited by Cer0; 03-25-2011 at 02:01 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (03-25-2011), oarce12 (03-26-2011), turkey26 (03-25-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone sammo123's Avatar
    Thanks

I hate pointless updates like these, im not going to update
    RIP Steve Jobs.. You changed the world

iPhone? More like MyPhone NOYB111's Avatar
    Thanks

I assume this is why the jailbreak has not been released yet. Now that 4.3.1 is out, let the jail break fly! My iPad 2 is boring without my JB Apps.... (of course it needs to be tested first..)

Thanks Comex!

Thanks
    Thanked 18,727 Times in 4,108 Posts

Just wondering if you have your shsh saved for previous firmware versions and upgrade, can you still downgrade?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chevymusclecar View Post
    Just wondering if you have your shsh saved for previous firmware versions and upgrade, can you still downgrade?
    An iDevice can be downgraded to any iOS version for which it has its shsh saved.
    You'll also have to add a static DNS entry on your computer.
    @notcom 's excellent tiny umbrella [http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/] does all that work for ya!
    Last edited by nutz; 03-25-2011 at 01:29 PM. Reason: meh, blah...

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

Another day another pointless update. I'm still on 4.1 awaiting an update for Ultrasn0w at this rate I'll be going from 4.1 to 5.0 lol. Although I did wonder why Apple never seem to release updates past .4. I'd be interested to see what 4.7.1 or 4.8 does for us. Maybe we will finally get file transfer bluetooth enabled lol
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay316 For This Useful Post:

lilrican21 (03-25-2011)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

And then Apple will start a rumor about 4.4 and all the hackers will hide in their holes and not release a jailbreak.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GmAz For This Useful Post:

kingbijan (03-25-2011), MYPHONEI (03-25-2011), reznor9 (03-25-2011), shirwan72 (03-25-2011), vantheman169 (03-25-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

ipad2 launched today same time as 4.3.1 update i hope they dont preinstall them with 4.3.1 can anyone confirm plz what firmware the new ipad 2 installed in UK

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    Another day another pointless update. I'm still on 4.1 awaiting an update for Ultrasn0w at this rate I'll be going from 4.1 to 5.0 lol. Although I did wonder why Apple never seem to release updates past .4. I'd be interested to see what 4.7.1 or 4.8 does for us. Maybe we will finally get file transfer bluetooth enabled lol
    The typical 2-3 months it takes for a 0.x update limits how many they can release... 5.0 will be out in 3 months so there's no point in a 4.4.

Thanks

No nitro engine fix for webclips? WTF!

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes!! Bring on the iPad 2 jailbreak!!!
    iLive an iLife

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

Jailbreak FTW!
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

Green Apple
    Thanks
    JAiLbReAK mE pLz~

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Just a quick nod to everyone out there, please remember to back up your SHSH files! If you're not concerned with unlocking, as long as you have your 4.3 SHSH files backed up, you could update to 4.3.1 and then restore back to 4.3 if 4.3.1 patched comex's upcoming jailbreak exploit.

Have fun all!

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Ugh. Fix this awful battery problem please.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDirtyDiddler For This Useful Post:

MYPHONEI (03-25-2011)

Thanks

I'll stay with 4.2.1 until another jb comes out with the ability to change the boot logo.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to that_girl For This Useful Post:

Gudy11 (03-28-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kewty01 View Post
    JAiLbReAK mE pLz~
    Yeaahh, its easier .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nutz View Post
    An iDevice can be downgraded to any iOS version for which it has its shsh saved.
    You'll also have to add a static DNS entry on your computer.
    @notcom 's excellent tiny umbrella [http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/] does all that work for ya!
    Not true... You can downgrade to any iOS without having to save your shsh...
    My friend little sister.. (little sister ok) broke her iPhone 3G screen. So they gave it to me to fix it I did.. And she also asked me if I can do something about the sluggish performance since her 3G was running 4.0.. Again her device was never JB. So I simply powered off the device hold down the home button and connected to my pc via USB. iTunes detected the iPhone in DFU so I had to restore... I hit shift enter picked ios 3.1.3... Not known if it would work but tried it any ways... And everything was glin good up until the phone had to be activated by iTunes... I got an error code and iPhone could not be restored... I tried it one more time... Same error... So at this point the phone was stuck on DFU mode... Now I just downloaded the newest version of tiny umbrella... And hit the kick out of recovery mode cause I thought it was still on 4.0 since the error said it couldn't restore.. Tiny umbrella wasn't working... I closed it.. Re-opened it hit kick out of recovery again and it did.. And the phone was wiped clean so I went into setting to see the version of iOS it was running and sure enough it was running iOS 3.1.3. Was it a glitch?? Idk but I never changed any of my server setting or anything I just simply struggled trying something new.. Took a good hour but it worked.

I would try it again but I would need another none JB iPhone to try it out so I can get it on tape and post for the community to see for them selfs...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    Not true... You can downgrade to any iOS without having to save your shsh...
    My friend little sister.. (little sister ok) broke her iPhone 3G screen. So they gave it to me to fix it I did.. And she also asked me if I can do something about the sluggish performance since her 3G was running 4.0.. Again her device was never JB. So I simply powered off the device hold down the home button and connected to my pc via USB. iTunes detected the iPhone in DFU so I had to restore... I hit shift enter picked ios 3.1.3... Not known if it would work but tried it any ways... And everything was glin good up until the phone had to be activated by iTunes... I got an error code and iPhone could not be restored... I tried it one more time... Same error... So at this point the phone was stuck on DFU mode... Now I just downloaded the newest version of tiny umbrella... And hit the kick out of recovery mode cause I thought it was still on 4.0 since the error said it couldn't restore.. Tiny umbrella wasn't working... I closed it.. Re-opened it hit kick out of recovery again and it did.. And the phone was wiped clean so I went into setting to see the version of iOS it was running and sure enough it was running iOS 3.1.3. Was it a glitch?? Idk but I never changed any of my server setting or anything I just simply struggled trying something new.. Took a good hour but it worked.

I would try it again but I would need another none JB iPhone to try it out so I can get it on tape and post for the community to see for them selfs...

Downgrade without shsh is only true for Iphone 3G and 2G and only for IOS 3.x and lower.... Even for a Iphone 3G ios 4.x requires soft shsh. Where as all recent devices, Iphone 3GS, Iphone 4, Ipads, and Ipod touches require the SHSH to bw able to downgrade.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to alirz For This Useful Post:

nutz (03-26-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I'm upgrading to 4.3.2 tomorrow. What you didn't hear? Apple is releasing an update every day now to annihilate jailbreaking. They certainly have enough "bugs" to cover them for every day in the year.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast