+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Job Openings Suggest iOS Maps Overhaul

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
If you're looking for work at Apple, this weekend may be a good time to brush up the old cover letter and resume. Apple has posted new job openings on
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Apple Job Openings Suggest iOS Maps Overhaul

If you're looking for work at Apple, this weekend may be a good time to brush up the old cover letter and resume. Apple has posted new job openings on the company's official website, two of which are turning heads in light of the iOS tweaks they seemingly foreshadow. Discovered by our friends at Apple Insider, the positions appear to indicate that Apple is planning to revamp its iOS Maps application, as well as tweak other location services found on the iPhone and iPad.

The positions advertised are aiming to fill two seats, each with the same title: "iOS Maps Application Developer." The positions are based out of Apple's homestead corporate campus in Cupertino. "Come work for the team that revolutionized the mobile technology industry as it continues [to] define what computing looks like in a post-PC era," reads the listing. "The Maps team is looking for an exceptional developer to join us in our mission to radically improve how people interact with maps and location-based services."

Word of Apple tinkering with its maps and location features isn't groundbreaking by any stretch of the imagination. Apple has been drastically shifting its emphasis back to this department, just as we observed a year ago when Apple started using its own location databases for iOS devices. This improvement was among the biggest tip-offs that some big changes or improvements were ahead.

Previously, Apple had been plugged into databases powered by Google and Skyhook Wireless. Although Apple is not yet its own island and still depends on the likes of Google for mapping-pertinent content and information, all signs point to Apple wanting to reduce current levels of dependence on any and all outside content and technology providers.

Source: Apple Insider

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I don't think that apple can out due google on this one. Google has the upper hand when it comes to maps

3. The Following User Says Thank You to yellow5851 For This Useful Post:

NetMage (03-25-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I thought this had already been reported a few months ago here? On the headlines?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What ever came of Apple's acquisition of PlaceBase? Hopefully we see a re-vamped "Maps" app in iOS 5 that provides turn-by-turn directions and some implementation of a streetview-esque feature!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Overhaul? What are they gonna do....a dark blue path line instead of purple?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Maybe have the dark blue line navigate us, similar to Google maps on Android phones.

I miss you original droid :0(

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Themeable maps. Now instead of following a little blue dot you will be following PacMan.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mvhurlburt View Post
    What ever came of Apple's acquisition of PlaceBase? Hopefully we see a re-vamped "Maps" app in iOS 5 that provides turn-by-turn directions and some implementation of a streetview-esque feature!
    That would be incredible.

OS X - excellent enough to put on phones LGgeek's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe it would better for Apple to follow Google's lead and buy someone.
    Google bought keyhole and renamed it Google maps, takes all the credit for developing a fantastic technology.
    I don't drink kool-Aid, I don't join cults.
    This is why I break out in cold sweat going to Apple retail store.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
    Themeable maps. Now instead of following a little blue dot you will be following PacMan.
    That's much too complex for Apple software techs. They probably couldn't even change the color of the line without giving the battery a heart attack. If they try to animate it they'll end up frying the phone.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I would love an overhaul of Maps, Apple can do a million times better than what they've given us!

Thanks

Apple has dropped the ball on Maps! We've seen some pretty decent updates for all other apps and GUI's but Maps has stayed the same for 4 years. Kinda weird really...I really wanted to test a Xoom just so i could utilize the 3D maps...pretty sick :]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 737 Posts

I wonder how many candidates they'll be sifting through.
    My latest theme - -

Thanks

Fail