Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: French Company Developing Solar Film to Power Future iPhone

Forget about the sun. Just leave it on your desk while you work and let the phone maintain some kind of descent battery life under artificial light.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hxclos View Post
    Wow! Gorilla glass?! That's awesome! Goodbye cracked screens!
    I thought iPhone 4 already had shattered gorilla glass lol

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

All portable devices suffer from the same problem, they all run out of juice too soon. This is especially true with Apple's iPhone.
    Don't mean to rag, but last time I checked, the iPhone was pretty much on top of the battery life of smart phones.

Twitter: @tshoults

Hmm...I think they are missing the market on this one....integrate it into electric/hybrid cars - it could be integrated into every part, the windows, the metal, etc.

Granted it wouldn't completely charge the car, but if you do not park your car in a garage during the day, then it is out in the sun all day long charging.

As for the phone, my phone is usually sitting on my desk when I am at work, so the lights in the office would provide some charge.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Does artificial light charge solar panels? I would have said no but maybe someone else is more knowledgable on this topic

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hxclos View Post
    Wow! Gorilla glass?! That's awesome! Goodbye cracked screens!
    Lol sarcasm??

i4 has Gorilla Glass front and back though.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

This might mean thinner iphones and prob better bat life.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

You don't have to use sunlight, it says light source, solar powered calculators don't need the sun to work, and I don't think this method is for charging ur phone completely but just to keep ur phone alive while your out and about and can put it on the charger when u get home. Great idea hope they can implement this into the next iPhone sooner is better than later

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I bet if Apple does decide to use it that it won't effect the price, they'll do it for the environment

When my iPhone battery gets low, I just plug it into my arc reactor.

Kidding aside, this tech might not be the most useful on an iPhone, but the iPad would most certainly benefit. Not only because of obvious advantages in physical screen real estate (that also means a much larger solar panel), but think of the difference in usage. Your cell phone is either in your pocket or against your face. Sure it'll pick up ambient light while your texting or browsing the net, but it's not really given a fair amount of time just laying around to benefit much.
    The iPad, however, is exposed to ambient light over long periods while you type, browse, email, etc. It's not made to be a shortcut device like the iPhone, but more of a thorough task accomplishment device. So by it's very nature, the ipad would have ro most opportunity to benefit.
    And if that's possible, this solar film belongs under lcd's and track pads on MBA and MBP's.
    I know it's not really practical to imagine devices working solely on the solar panel, but heck, if they can incorporate this into products without a large difference in price, they have my vote. I mean, every little bit helps, right?

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

I like it, I hope they roll that out soon !!

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Very awesome, I sure hope this sees the light of day!

Here in Arizona if I let my iPhone sit outside for more than 20 minutes it overheats.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Does artificial light charge solar panels? I would have said no but maybe someone else is more knowledgable on this topic
    You know those pocket calculators which do work w/o a battery? The ones with the lil' black strip above the screen?

Yes, artificial light does charge

Oh, and think about this - You have your screen brightness on full, that charges the phone lol

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    That's really cool, I'll only use it if it doesn't not effect screen clarity at all.
    There is no way to make solar panel totally transparant, it will affect screen clairty. Article even said that it will make the screen look dark, if it makes screen look dark there is something there. And before anyone asks, you can make the screen brighter hoping to overcome the shading but that uses more power which is more than what the solar power can generate (most likely).

Thanks

Not only sunlight but almost any light source will provide charging.
    Earl

thats kinda cool

$1 ? im sold

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleye View Post
    Umm yea.... your iPhone 4 and iPad 2 utilize Corning Gorilla Glass... this isn't news. Oh, btw, they still crack. In fact, according to squaretrade.com, they "found the iPhone 4 had 82% more broken screens than the iPhone 3gs reported in the first 4 months."
    I guess sarcasm is hard to detect for some people.

:facecrotch:

Ok Quick Question It Gonna Have A On & Off Switch Right Cause If I Remember A 24/7 Charge Only Kills The Battery Lifespan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast