+ Reply
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T to Acquire T-Mobile and Become the Largest US Wireless Provider

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Gr0undBreak1ng Also places AT&T didn't or seldom provided coverage, and AT&T did have amplified the coverage in those areas. Specifically rural areas, and very suburban areas. All
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gr0undBreak1ng View Post
    Also places AT&T didn't or seldom provided coverage, and AT&T did have amplified the coverage
    in those areas. Specifically rural areas, and very suburban areas. All AT&T wants is
    coverage where corporates, and large corporates, or Wall-Street.
    That may have been the case a few years ago I don't know but now I know they are working on new towers in the more rural areas. I've seen them putting up new towers all over the place back in my home town.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I don't know if they've added new towers here, but they have increased the 3G coverage in my area and the 3G speeds are faster than they used to be here. I am getting over 5Mbps SpeedTest download speeds now with my iPhone 4 when I used to get between 3-4Mbps. Upload has remained pretty constant at 1.24Mbps however.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Gr0undBreak1ng's Avatar
    Thanks

3G speeds are always reliable here.
    CHAZER99
    PWNDEVTEAM

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by squassss View Post
    Rather than playing the role of a three year old. Please explain how this is not creating something. Explain how this does not improve...

1. Coverage
    2. Quality
    3. Speed of availability of an LTE network that will reach 95% penetration.

Please explain this instead of just spouting your "nuh uh" mentality.
    Ok, I will explain this:
    1. It will improve coverage for AT&T & T-Mobile customers (Providing they can get the frequency issues ironed out, chances are that the customers on one provider or the other will be forced to buy new Handsets to take full advantage of the new network, just as happened when AT&T bought Cingular).

2. Call quality MIGHT improve; however, that remains to be seen as you will end up with a lot more people using AT&T's already overtaxed towers when T-Mobile towers aren't there. In addition, customer service quality WILL decline, it always end up at the worst of the two companies (in this case AT&T).

3. Clear Wireless has 4G data coverage in about 80% of the U.S. already, AT&T and T-Mobile are both far behind the game. That being said, the LTE network (a stopgap on the way to 4G) will be large, but again with many of the towers already being overtaxed, it is not going to help all that much.

I have been through 3 cell carrier mergers personally and my wife has been through 1. They never are a good thing for the consumer.

They legally have to honor their old plans until you change something (anything), so what they do is make your old phone barely work with the new network, so that they can get you to buy a new phone and change your plan or they make it where the old SIMs will no longer work, since your old phone is most likely locked to the old carrier, you have to buy a new phone and change plans, even if they give you a new sim, the old plan is "not compatible with it". (Has happened all 4 times, so please don't try to claim that they don't do this)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Riviera's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you for summing that up very nicely. It was late, I should have typed mine out a little better but that was pretty much the point I was making.
    You're welcome, Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
    Ok, I will explain this:
    3. Clear Wireless has 4G data coverage in about 80% of the U.S. already, AT&T and T-Mobile are both far behind the game. That being said, the LTE network (a stopgap on the way to 4G) will be large, but again with many of the towers already being overtaxed, it is not going to help all that much.
    Just to clarify,

Clear wireless "4G" speed is only between 3 to 6 Mbps or a little over 10 Mbps in some places.
    Clear Wireless "4G" speed is even slower than T-Mobile 3G-HSPA+ speed which can average 12 Mbps in some places/cities that are near to T-Mobile towers.

Also please see the Clear Wireless coverage map below:

From the above map, we can tell T-Mobile & AT&T covers more population than Clear Wireless. Clear Wireless only covers some metropolitan areas. Others who live in the suburbs are on their mercy for some drop calls.

Another thing, None of US wireless provider has a true 4G speed.
    Not even AT&T or T-Mobile. A true 4G speed is almost 100 Mbps.

Read more on this below link:
    4g-is-a-myth-and-confusing: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

So why are the carriers calling these networks 4G?

It's mostly a matter of PR, industry experts say. Explaining what the wireless carriers' new networks shouldbe called, and what they'll be capable of, is a confusing mess.

To illustrate: Sprint bought a majority stake in Clearwire (Nasdaq: CLWR - News), which uses a new network technology called WiMAX that's capable of speeds ranging from 3 Mbps to 10 Mbps. That's a different technology from Verizon's new network, based on a standard called Long Term Evolution (LTE), which will average 5 Mbps to 12 Mbps.

Seeing what its competitors were up to, T-Mobile opted to increase the speed capabilities of its existing 3G-HSPA+ network instead of pursuing a new technology. Its expanded network -- now called 4G -- will reach speeds of 5 Mbps to 12 Mbps.

No matter what they're called, all of these upgrades are clear improvements -- and the carriers shelled out billions to make them. Current "3G" networks offer actual speeds that range from between 500 kilobits per second to 1.5 Mbps.

So Sprint and Verizon have new, faster networks that are still technically not 4G, while T-Mobile has an old, though still faster network that is actually based on 3G technology.

Confused yet?
    That's why they all just opted to call themselves "4G."

So please be aware when you see those "4G speed" ads.
    Don't just believe what you see or what you read, It's better if we do a little research.

AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprints & other providers don't have 4G speed just yet.

AT&T might not be the best on Customer Service, but its speed is the fastest compare to other providers:

I think this was also the reason why Apple chose AT&T to carry its GSM iPhone (after Verizon rejected Apple's offer in 2006).

Green Apple
    Thanks

^^^ I frickin love this guy.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Gr0undBreak1ng's Avatar
    Thanks

That may have been the case a few years ago I don't know but now I know they are working on new towers in the more rural areas. I've seen them putting up new towers all over the place back in my home town.
    The probably are to improve the coverage. I have little knowledge about carriers.
    CHAZER99
    PWNDEVTEAM

+ Reply
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516