+ Reply
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T to Acquire T-Mobile and Become the Largest US Wireless Provider

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Wow- how did this get past anti-trust review? There are only two GSM providers in the US. Now there will be only one?
    Thanks

Wow- how did this get past anti-trust review? There are only two GSM providers in the US. Now there will be only one?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gQstatus05 View Post
    I would like to you name a dozen since you know so much about the topic.

If this merger happens it would make them the only GSM carrier in the USA. This move was made to set the standard for LTE pricing when it becomes widely available. If this goes through I guarantee you that VZW will most likely buyout Sprint. All it's going to take is a couple of political contributions and lining of pockets to get this to go through.

If it does go through they'll probably force AT&T to give some subscribers to another carrier along with some towers like they made Verizon do with Alltel.
    Lets see..

1. Verizon
    2. ATT
    3. Sprint
    4. US Cellular
    5. Boost Mobile
    6. Cellular One
    7. Metro PCS
    8. TracFone
    9. Virgin Mobile
    10. 7-Eleven Wireless
    11. Alltel
    12. Cricket Communications

Would you like more? Because there are over 150 I can list. Most the people whine about them being the only "GSM" carrier don't even realize what GSM is. This merger does not make them the only GSM carrier in the US.
    Last edited by squassss; 03-21-2011 at 05:00 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Gr0undBreak1ng's Avatar
    Thanks

Exactly, AT&T is going to be only GSM soon. Verizon has LTE though.
    CHAZER99
    PWNDEVTEAM

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gr0undBreak1ng View Post
    Exactly, AT&T is going to be only GSM soon. Verizon has LTE though.
    Sigh.... they will not be the only GSM carrier. Please research before you post.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Those other carriers are irrelevant and most of them are prepaid not postpaid. Besides most of those carriers you listed are only available in certain markets. I'm talking about major players not the small guys.

That's like saying Home Depot will buy Lowes but it doesn't matter because there are places like Ace Hardware still around.

If it were that easy why would AT&T agree to pay T-Mobile 3Bil as a break up fee?
    Last edited by gQstatus05; 03-21-2011 at 05:13 PM.
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Those other carriers are irrelevant and most of them are prepaid not postpaid. Besides most of those carriers you listed are only available in certain markets. I'm talking about major players not the small guys.

That's like saying Home Depot will buy Lowes but it doesn't matter because there are places like Ace Hardware still around.

If it were that easy why would AT&T agree to pay T-Mobile 3Bil as a break up fee?
    So now the little companies don't count. Last time I checked according to the FCC they did.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by squassss View Post
    Sigh.... they will not be the only GSM carrier. Please research before you post.
    I meant in the US, lol. Isn't that what country were talking about.
    CHAZER99
    PWNDEVTEAM

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gr0undBreak1ng View Post
    I meant in the US, lol. Isn't that what country were talking about.
    So was I.. there are several GSM carriers in the US besides Tmobile and AT&T. However according to you they don't exist because they are the little guys.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

So now the little companies don't count. Last time I checked according to the FCC they did.
    Ok let me clear this up and make it easy to understand. This is going to hurt the consumers and device manufacturers. AT&T will be the only GSM (big player) in the USA. Manufacturers won't be able to control price and profits and will be at the mercy of AT&T if they want to get their product out (We are talking about the USA and not around the world).

Alcatel Lucent, Nokia Siemens, Ericsson, etc will suffer being that they will have one major customer to supply infrastructure to. Again, they will be at the carriers mercy.

Google has a lot to lose in this being that they push their products to T-Mobile first before other carriers. We all know that AT&T will cripple the software and play hard ball.

I can go on and on with what I think.

By the way I see a Google/Sprint partnership in the near future.
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

Thanks

Yeah. They already have with the mytouch i thought or was that the giant google/verizon partership

So was I.. there are several GSM carriers in the US besides Tmobile and AT&T. However according to you they don't exist because they are the little guys.
    What? Nevermind
    Last edited by Gr0undBreak1ng; 03-21-2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    CHAZER99
    PWNDEVTEAM

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok let me clear this up and make it easy to understand. This is going to hurt the consumers and device manufacturers. AT&T will be the only GSM (big player) in the USA. Manufacturers won't be able to control price and profits and will be at the mercy of AT&T if they want to get their product out (We are talking about the USA and not around the world).

Alcatel Lucent, Nokia Siemens, Ericsson, etc will suffer being that they will have one major customer to supply infrastructure to. Again, they will be at the carriers mercy.

Google has a lot to lose in this being that they push their products to T-Mobile first before other carriers. We all know that AT&T will cripple the software and play hard ball.

I can go on and on with what I think.

By the way I see a Google/Sprint partnership in the near future.
    You do realize GSM is a proprietary name.. that in the end it doesn't matter what you call it.. GSM, LTE, or "OMGROCKETPHONE". It all boils down to speed and noone gives a crap what the brand name is. To say the companies will be at the mercy of AT&T is moronic. AT&T has been getting better phones than T-mobile for a long time. Long before this merger and long after. Also the most successful Android phones out there belong to Sprint (EVO 4G) and Verizon (Droid). Google has nothing to lose here as they have been spreading their phones pretty well over a wide number of carriers. The days of phone exclusivity are numbered. Sure you'll see a few here and there but you will never see a phenomenon such as the iPhone exclusivity ever again.

One way or another this was going to come down to a "big 3". Your choices were either AT&T with a more fluid integration of networks or Sprint who is just now wrapping up the Nextel integration and integrating GSM into Sprints current network would have been a mess.
    Last edited by squassss; 03-21-2011 at 05:49 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 39b
    If You can not figure out how to make a 4g network to work you might as well buy one for 39 Billion!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jktrelos For This Useful Post:

unklbyl (03-22-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jktrelos View Post
    If You can not figure out how to make a 4g network to work you might as well buy one for 39 Billion!!
    Yeah they know nothing about it. That's why before the merger they had a market share that was over double the nearest GSM competitor even before the iphone.
    Last edited by squassss; 03-21-2011 at 07:50 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah they know nothing about it. That's why before the merger they had a market share that was over double the nearest GSM competitor even before the iphone.

Honestly squassss, stop being an assss and stop picking fight with people over stupid things while thinking you know everything there is to know about this merger. OBVIOUSLY you are not a T-Mobile customer. If you were, you would understand why 99% of the 34 billion people with it 1) Are with T-Mobile and 2)Don't want it to be merged with its direct GSM rival, att.
    So that means that maybe you are with att, thus you are excited for all the new technology this will allow you to use. Heck I would be too, except that by buying T-mobile they are neglecting their duties to you and other customers of making the network something reliable, fast, and solid that you don't have to directly deal with everyday. Sure, T-Mobile may have its many flaws, but they have lower prices, GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE, for the most part no unexplained hidden "prorated" charges on your account or stupid unexplained overages added monthly, and actually have 4G. How about att??? Even their advertisement of 4G is a lie to you and their customers.
    But nevermind all of that, I bet you can come up with a half bsed book in reply to that. However, just explain one thing to me: If att really cared about its customers, why did it take away the unlimited data plan as opposed to offering a 200MB (for the really low users amoung us) 2GB(Marginally enough with constant worries about going over each month for the average user) AND an unlimited plan for those of us who actually require more than 2GB a month (You know, apps that require internet, large email accounts, internet radio, youtube, our other personal business) specially when it is the exclusive iPhone carrier and it knows damn well that mobile data is to the iphone what water is to us humans.
    [Try not to include any crap about how you get free att wifi where available because they sure as hell dont have it at my house nor at my work nor on the way. Unless i stop at macdonalds or starbucks for the better part of half an hour. Try not to include anything about how people use too much internet or how everyone that had it before got it grandfathered, because im sure that anyone who is gradfathered would be really pissed if they had to spend even a month limiting their mobile internet to either 200MB or 2GB.]

For further reading: (Gizmodo)How the new att+mobile is probably going to bone you hardcore.
    Also, if you are thinking about quoting the att data usage calculator, just take out a normal calculator and try converting a daily lets say 1- 2 hour usage of internet radio (usually around 128kbps) for one month and tell me what plan will fit my usage under att.

Thanks

Lets see..

4. US Cellular
    5. Boost Mobile
    6. Cellular One
    7. Metro PCS
    8. TracFone
    9. Virgin Mobile
    10. 7-Eleven Wireless
    11. Alltel
    12. Cricket Communications

Would you like more? Because there are over 150 I can list. Most the people whine about them being the only "GSM" carrier don't even realize what GSM is. This merger does not make them the only GSM carrier in the US.
    Oh this is too funny! You rip others for "not knowing what GSM is", and then you list a bunch of MVNO and MNO operators as though they are real cell providers. I mean, "7-Eleven"??? Really??

MVNOs simply buy, re-label, and re-sell airtime and phones. They are not real cell providers. For very little money, you could set up "Squassss Cellular" as an MVNO operator. It's still just the same thing, but re-packaged and re-sold.

The point is- there really are (or were) only two nationwide GSM providers in the US. Now there will be only one. Particularly for US customers who travel abroad, and for whom CDMA is not practical, this could be bad news.

Kupe
    Last edited by Kupe; 03-21-2011 at 09:23 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kupe For This Useful Post:

reddawg (03-22-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jktrelos View Post
    NO...It is more like...

AT&T NETWORK REP: Sir, I have designed a complex plan to successfully make LTE 4G compatible with our infrastructure and our phones...it will only take 3 years and a few billion dollars.

CEO: 3 Years!? Shut the f#ck up. Go buy T-Mobile.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

Last edited by tsatryan; 03-22-2011 at 09:47 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Riviera's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ("\(.:...:.)/")~RaWr View Post
    Honestly squassss, stop being an assss and stop picking fight with people over stupid things while thinking you know everything there is to know about this merger.
    Yeahhh Squassss ... what's up with your asss, man?
    Sorry ... not trying to a fuel the flame, it's just funny

... except that by buying T-mobile they are neglecting their duties to you and other customers of making the network something reliable, fast, and solid that you don't have to directly deal with everyday. Sure, T-Mobile may have its many flaws, but they have lower prices, GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE, for the most part no unexplained hidden "prorated" charges on your account or stupid unexplained overages added monthly, and actually have 4G. How about att??? Even their advertisement of 4G is a lie to you and their customers.
    Sorry man, T-Mobile lied to you about its 4G network.
    Read here: AT&T Worst US Carrier, Again
    or here.
    If att really cared about its customers, why did it take away the unlimited data plan
    I think this was because AT&T did not realize that the "unlimited data" plan would put such a stress within their network when they started offering iPhone back in 2007. Heck ... no one knew that iPhone would had been such a success back then. Even Verizon rejected Apple offer to carry iPhone exclusively in 2006. HOWEVER, AT&T did invest billion of dollars throughout 2009 - 2011 to improve its structure.

Quote Originally Posted by tsatryan View Post
    'bout time this thread was closed, don't you think, mods?
    Please don't.

This is fun as long as everyone is being respectful to other.
    There's always a heat in a debate/discussion.

I'm tired reading people whining about 4.3 jailbreaking, this is much better.
    Last edited by Riviera; 03-21-2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

cant wait for iphone 6 now...
    THANK ME THANK THANK AGAIN..

Green Apple
    Thanks

Honestly squassss, stop being an assss and stop picking fight with people over stupid things while thinking you know everything there is to know about this merger. OBVIOUSLY you are not a T-Mobile customer. If you were, you would understand why 99% of the 34 billion people with it 1) Are with T-Mobile and 2)Don't want it to be merged with its direct GSM rival, att.
    So that means that maybe you are with att, thus you are excited for all the new technology this will allow you to use. Heck I would be too, except that by buying T-mobile they are neglecting their duties to you and other customers of making the network something reliable, fast, and solid that you don't have to directly deal with everyday. Sure, T-Mobile may have its many flaws, but they have lower prices, GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE, for the most part no unexplained hidden "prorated" charges on your account or stupid unexplained overages added monthly, and actually have 4G. How about att??? Even their advertisement of 4G is a lie to you and their customers.
    But nevermind all of that, I bet you can come up with a half bsed book in reply to that. However, just explain one thing to me: If att really cared about its customers, why did it take away the unlimited data plan as opposed to offering a 200MB (for the really low users amoung us) 2GB(Marginally enough with constant worries about going over each month for the average user) AND an unlimited plan for those of us who actually require more than 2GB a month (You know, apps that require internet, large email accounts, internet radio, youtube, our other personal business) specially when it is the exclusive iPhone carrier and it knows damn well that mobile data is to the iphone what water is to us humans.
    [Try not to include any crap about how you get free att wifi where available because they sure as hell dont have it at my house nor at my work nor on the way. Unless i stop at macdonalds or starbucks for the better part of half an hour. Try not to include anything about how people use too much internet or how everyone that had it before got it grandfathered, because im sure that anyone who is gradfathered would be really pissed if they had to spend even a month limiting their mobile internet to either 200MB or 2GB.]

For further reading: (Gizmodo)How the new att+mobile is probably going to bone you hardcore.
    Also, if you are thinking about quoting the att data usage calculator, just take out a normal calculator and try converting a daily lets say 1- 2 hour usage of internet radio (usually around 128kbps) for one month and tell me what plan will fit my usage under att.
    Sorry I stopped entertaining this circle jerk of misinformation a few hours ago. Just checked on it before going to bed. As for the merger.. I know several T-Mo people excited about it. I for one had T-Mo and dropped them because the service was garbage in my area. Quit crying about it and move on. LOL did you really quote Gizmodo? What's next? CNET?

Once again as stated GSM is a merely a name. In the end it comes down to speed. Noone cares what it's called as long as it's fast. So crying about a GSM monopoly is a pretty weak argument to begin with. Riviera is the first to make any type of rational statement in a long time. The list of providers goes on and on... I listed 12... there is more than the ones I listed... I just picked random from a list. As for the MNO and MVNO argument. Last time I checked they were getting paid for their services and getting paid quite well. Virtual or not it's still competition and still hold whatever small piece of the market share they have.

I find it funny that people think that this merger is going to screw consumers over and going to create OMG high prices on contracts. This coming from a community that will spend 700 bucks on an iPad and then another 700 when the new one rolls out a year later with minimal changes. If the prices go up I'll pay it.

I'm not being an "assss" and picking fights,so please drop the whole E-knight mentality. I'm trying to talk with people about what is really going on and not this uninformed BS that people THINK they know. So many armchair CEO's here but yet none of you have proposed a better alternative. What do you think is going to happen if the merger doesn't happen? Demands will still increase and neither company will meet the demands. Make no mistake, T-Mo wants to grow just as much as AT&T does. Lets not forget they were selling the company anyway. AT&T just happend to be the winning bidder. What would you rather have? Sprint? Really?

EDIT: That's it I'm done. Anyone with half a brain knows what is really going on here. If you don't look it up and don't just go by the copy/pasta from BS tech blogs either. Look up what really matters... the cold hard facts. Ask real questions that matter and not the ones that people tell you to ask. Otherwise you look like another tech blog lemming just spouting what the next tech site tells you.
    Last edited by squassss; 03-21-2011 at 11:00 PM.