+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report Says NFC Technology May Come with iPhone 5 After All

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Report Says NFC Technology May Come with iPhone 5 After All

On Monday, Matt reported that the latest buzz in the world of mobile is that Apple's 5th generation iPhone may not come with Near Field Communication (NFC) technology as initially anticipated. NFC makes mobile payments possible by allowing smartphone users to shop and pay at retail locations using their handset alone and not cash or plastic.

Late Thursday evening, Forbes blogger Elizabeth Woyke countered the rumors that first surfaced in a report from The Independent. As some will recall, The Independent reported that Apple had begun notifying mobile operators in the UK (where NFC and mobile payments are all the rage) that the iPhone 5 would debut sans NFC. As it turns out, the news came as quite a surprise to Forbes and others in the tech reporting sphere.

From what I hear, it is possible the iPhone 5 will include NFC. An entrepreneur who is working on a top-secret NFC product told me today that he believes the iPhone 5 will have NFC and cited a friend who works at Apple as a reliable source for the information.
    Let's face it. For months, we've all heard rumblings about NFC coming to the iPhone 5. And with fewer big bells and whistles anticipated this time around, it seems the smartest thing Apple could do with its fifth generation handset would be to groom the product for the future of mobile technology, which is clearly tied to NFC. That's exactly why I'm confident this technology will turn up in the iPhone 5 as well.

As my colleague Paul pointed out this morning, there's another strong piece of evidence suggesting NFC will find a home in the next-gen iDevice line. We keep hearing that Apple is tinkering with a system that enables users to access and log into a computer using nothing more than an NFC-enabled iPhone. According various published reports, including a recent headline from our friends at Cult of Mac, "the iPhone pairs with the host machine, and loads the userís files and settings over the net. Itís as though the user is sitting at their own machine at home."

Without question, the addition of NFC technology on the iPhone 5 and a new remote computing system would truly be an evolutionary step - even for Apple.

Sources: Forbes, The Independent, Cult of Mac

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Well you won't know till June/July

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I would never use that feature....what if the phone was lost....no sir...not me!!!!

I'll stick with my credit card....thank you very much!!!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to swifty7 For This Useful Post:

delusion950 (03-18-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

What a nice easy way for identity theft.

iPhone? More like MyPhone NOYB111's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
    I would never use that feature....what if the phone was lost....no sir...not me!!!!

Yeah but what if you lose your credit card! Same difference isnt it? I am sure you will be able to pass protect it which is probably safer than a credit card.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NOYB111 For This Useful Post:

javiert30 (03-18-2011), Poseidon79 (03-18-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wouldn't it be the same if you lost your card or cash? I see what you're saying but at least your phone can be traced by comp or police. Cards and cash really can't be located. I'll give it a go if it's on there. I'd like to see cell to cell. So I can make all my friends pay me back without the "I have no cash or forgot my wallet" boom

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Atom2215 For This Useful Post:

that_girl (03-18-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

I would be weary using someone's credit card information that i found on a cell phone, technology is funny these days and I would assume there would be a very detailed papertrail embedded into this technology.

Not to mention they would probably only have the last 4 digits available to see by default. Sounds even safer then a credit card IMO.
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zinjen For This Useful Post:

Darksecrets (03-18-2011), javiert30 (03-18-2011), Poseidon79 (03-18-2011), Thailocalguy808 (03-20-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone fbiryujin's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    Well you won't know till June/July
    Are they really going to release the iPhone 5 only a few months after VZW got the iPhone 4? That would be spitting in the face of every person who bought the VZW iPhone.

I'm sure they could make the now free Find My iPhone cover secure wiping the NFC portion of the phone. IF done right, all it would really have to do is delete an encryption key, which would take a few seconds at most.

IDK if I'd use NFC though. It's too easy for me to spend my money as it is. Plus that requires all the places I frequent to buy NFC hardware, AND have it compatible with the iPhone implementation of it. I highly doubt that will happen.

IMO if iPhone 5 has NFC, it will get the ball rolling on adaptation, but NFC won't be super useful in a phone in America until iPhone 6, or possibly iPhone 7.
    -FBIRyuJin

13. The Following User Says Thank You to fbiryujin For This Useful Post:

Jcbzr (03-18-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The iPhone, the iPad, and the iPod have had a 12 month cycle time ever since they were introduced. The release of the Verizon iPhone coincided with the expiration of the exclusivity agreement with AT&T. It's not Apple's fault that people sign 2 year contracts to buy their product. We'll see an iPhone refresh this summer just like the last 4 years.

Thanks

Yeah I am aware of the cycle. I think in this instance the right thing to do would be to break it.
    -FBIRyuJin

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

From a business perspective it makes no sense at all. Apple makes their profit on annual upgrades. If they held off on releasing the iPhone for another year they would sacrifice billions in revenue. You have to look at the whole picture... if you went out and bought the top end HTC phone and 6 months later they came out with a different model with even more features you wouldn't think twice about it. You have a bias just because this is Apple.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NOYB111 View Post
    Yeah but what if you lose your credit card! Same difference isnt it? I am sure you will be able to pass protect it which is probably safer than a credit card.
    True but what's more common for some one to loose there wallet with cash and plastic inside or there phone?

And if you loose your wallet you still have your phone in hand to call right away and cancel those cards, But what if you loose your phone with your credit cards information stored in it. Would you still call to cancel those cards knowing you still actually have them in your pocket??

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fbiryujin View Post
    IDK if I'd use NFC though. It's too easy for me to spend my money as it is. Plus that requires all the places I frequent to buy NFC hardware, AND have it compatible with the iPhone implementation of it. I highly doubt that will happen.
    Actually I find it quite useful when I was visiting Hong Kong. Having a NFC card that allows me to pay for bus/train rides while able to use to buy food at the convenient store.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Apple will encounter problems attempting to implement this technology and will undoubtedly scrap it all together. Hell they can't even get half of their software updates to work correctly the first time. They can't even get the iPhone CLOCK to function correctly during daylight savings.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fbiryujin View Post
    Are they really going to release the iPhone 5 only a few months after VZW got the iPhone 4? That would be spitting in the face of every person who bought the VZW iPhone.

I'm sure they could make the now free Find My iPhone cover secure wiping the NFC portion of the phone. IF done right, all it would really have to do is delete an encryption key, which would take a few seconds at most.

IMO if iPhone 5 has NFC, it will get the ball rolling on adaptation, but NFC won't be super useful in a phone in America until iPhone 6, or possibly iPhone 7.
    Att and Verizon are merging so I'm sure something will happen with the new iPhone but apple will not have a phone out that is now starting g to be matched by "droid".

iPhone? More like MyPhone mastuul's Avatar
    Thanks

I've heard that there are ways people can steal your card info if it has NFC technology, so I'm sure there will be more improved security measures if it's a feature on the iPhone. I hope it's true. I'm especially looking forward to the remote computer use simply by having your phone with you. The better the technology is the nicer the phone is.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    From a business perspective it makes no sense at all. Apple makes their profit on annual upgrades. If they held off on releasing the iPhone for another year they would sacrifice billions in revenue. You have to look at the whole picture... if you went out and bought the top end HTC phone and 6 months later they came out with a different model with even more features you wouldn't think twice about it. You have a bias just because this is Apple.
    Actually I do not have a bias against Apple. While I do not consider myself a "fanboy" I really enjoy their products, and I have never had a problem with them on any level from sales, to tech calls, to hardware issues. I do wish they would take a better stance when it comes to JBing but so do all of us. Assuming your HTC scenario is this:
    HTC phone came out a while ago on a carrier that has had HTC phones in the past, I buy it a month after it comes out, a better one comes out 6 months later, I was happy with the one I had, then I'd be a little annoyed, but I'd accept it as a fact of cellular business. If it was like this however:
    HTC phone is on crappy carrier (in my area anyway) for 3+ years, then finally comes out on carrier that works well by me, I switch, and can finally enjoy using my phone as a phone, and an HTC whatever, then 6 months later the new one comes out, then I would be mad. It really has nothing to do with the company. It has to do with the customer's best interests. Honestly in my situation if I make the switch (to avoid getting a VZW limited data plan when they start that nonsense) then the 5 comes out, I will probably end up getting it at full price if I think it's worth the upgrade.

There are however 3 things keeping me from switching right now:
    !: I have no idea if VZW will allow a grandfather of unlimited when they go limited.
    2: I have no idea if the voice/data limitation will get to me (it did when I went from iPhone 3G to Droid for a while)
    3: I have a custom back panel on my current phone that has the batman logo on it. It won't fit the VZW phone due to slight internal differences, and the guys that made it no longer seem to be doing so.
    -FBIRyuJin

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    True but what's more common for some one to loose there wallet with cash and plastic inside or there phone?

And if you loose your wallet you still have your phone in hand to call right away and cancel those cards, But what if you loose your phone with your credit cards information stored in it. Would you still call to cancel those cards knowing you still actually have them in your pocket??
    We don't know how its going to work yet, what about if it works with one kind of password protection. Devs know what they are doing. Lets see how it works first.
    You have no idea how vulnerable you are even with your credit card in your pocket or wallet, nobody have to touch your wallet or your pocket to hack your credit card account, even if you are not connected to the internet.

Here is an example... Wait and see the whole video
    Last edited by javiert30; 03-18-2011 at 10:34 AM.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post

And if you loose your wallet you still have your phone in hand to call right away and cancel those cards, But what if you loose your phone with your credit
    cards information stored in it. Would you still call to cancel
    those cards knowing you still
    actually have them in your
    pocket??
    Not sure that statement has much merit. Let's face it, I loose my phone with CC info on it, I bet I can get to a computer log in wipe the info, track the phone. All before you press one for English, trying to get a rep on the phone. Then after I'm done Ill use my plastic to buy a coffee then go get my phone back. Never having to deal with a bank sales rep. I my case I've lost a lot more wallets then phones ( I pretty much sleep with my phone, I don't even know where my wallet is right now to tell you the truth)

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Teban For This Useful Post:

Rob2G (03-19-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The last thing I need is an easier way to use my credit card
    If it works with Debit Cards too that'd be good. I can see the appeal though. I'd love to have all credit card and similar style cards be made into apps that use NFC. Just need the majority of stores that take cards to upgrade to NFC.