Page 1 of 74 123 11 51 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Cracking Down on MyWi Tethering?

Default AT&T Cracking Down on MyWi Tethering?

We've gotten a couple of tips today from users saying that they are receiving notices from AT&T regarding tethering. These users have been using MyWi for tethering, and are grandfathered into AT&T's old unlimited iPhone data plan.

For one user, the notices began as a simple text message:
    "AT&T Free Msg: Did you know tethering your Smartphone to a computer requires a tethering plan? Pls call 888-860-6789 for details or visit att.com/dataplans."

AT&T then followed up with this message via email:

Dear [Customer],

We've noticed your service plan may need updating.

Many AT&T customers use their smartphones as a broadband connection for other devices, like laptops, netbooks or other smartphones– a practice commonly known as tethering. Tethering can be an efficient way for our customers to enjoy the benefits of AT&T's mobile broadband network and use more than one device to stay in touch with important people and information. To take advantage of this feature, we require that in addition to a data plan, you also have a tethering plan.

Our records show that you use this capability, but are not subscribed to our tethering plan.

If you would like to continue tethering, please log into
    your account online at Cell Phones and Cell Phone Plans - Wireless from AT&T, or call us
    at 1-888-860-6789 Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 9 p.m. CST
    or Saturday, 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. CST, by March 27, 2011
    to sign up for DataPro 4GB for Smartphone Tethering.
    Here are details on the plan:

DataPro 4GB for Smartphone Tethering
    • $45 per month
    (this gives you 4GB in total, combining both your smartphone data plan for $25 and the tethering feature, $20)
    • $10 per each additional GB thereafter, added automatically as needed
    • Mobile Hotspot capabilities are included for compatible Smartphones

If we don't hear from you, we'll plan to automatically enroll you into DataPro 4GB afterMarch 27, 2011. The new plan – whether you sign up on your own or we automatically enroll you – will replace your current smartphone data plan, including if you are on an unlimited data plan.

If you discontinue tethering, no changes to your current plan will be required.

It's easy to track your usage throughout the month so there are no bill surprises. For example, we send you free text messages when you reach 65, 90, and 100 percent of your plan's threshold. If you would like to monitor your account more closely, go towww.att.com/dataplans to learn about other ways to track your data usage.

As a reminder, our smartphone data plans also include unlimited usage of Wi-Fi at no additional charge. AT&T smartphone customers can use Wi-Fi at home or on-the-go at any one of our more than 23,000 U.S. hotspots already included in your data plan.

Thank you for bringing your account up to date. We appreciate the opportunity to continue to serve your mobile broadband needs.

Sincerely,

AT&T
    This is the first we've heard about users receiving messages regarding MyWi tethering from AT&T. One speculation as to how AT&T may know about tethering is the iOS 4.3 update, which allows the iPhone to be used a personal hotspot. It's possible that AT&T can now track data usage specifically to the device that's being tethered, regardless of whether its done through the personal hotspot feature in 4.3 or via MyWi.

We'll keep you posted if we hear anything more on this issue. Thank you very much to the readers who sent this in to our tips email!

UPDATE: Based on user comments that some users are getting the message that don't tether at all, it looks like AT&T is targeting users who have high data usage. As it turns out, MyWi shows up as 0 tether bytes.

Last edited by Matt Savoca; 03-17-2011 at 09:36 PM.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Matt Savoca For This Useful Post:

beingforthebenefit (05-16-2011), ChaiMuengChuaySoh (03-19-2011), CX3NT3_713 (03-17-2011), fdw1 (03-18-2011), flytothesky (03-22-2011), HappyTroller (03-18-2011), HeavyD4 (03-19-2011), hollow0 (03-18-2011), LEVMAN (03-17-2011), Lewisloon (04-11-2011), LIL20 (03-21-2011), MaxRabbit (03-18-2011), reaves205 (03-18-2011), RejectKid (04-07-2011), samsoon (03-18-2011), thepuffguy (03-25-2011)

Well that was fun while it lasted, it was a good 3 years, goodbye iphone tethering.

I do not see how they can know you are using tethering as a jailbreak for 4.3 is not even out yet, so they must be able to figure this out at even 4.2.1 Sad day it is.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CptPalmer For This Useful Post:

Lewisloon (04-11-2011), mbeezy81 (03-18-2011), pcionwk (03-18-2011)

Thanks

No worries, I have my iPhone 4 (jailbroken) on Verizon I do have an HTC Inspire 4G on AT&T, it's rooted and a has a Custom ROM (CoreDroid 4 Gingerbread), though I rarely tether with it so I don't see any issues.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thats the beauty of being grandfathered. Doesn't AT&T get enough money from us.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Well I'm not upgrading to 4.3 if they can track it then. Lastly they shouldn't even have a leg to complain I have unlimited regardless of how I use it I can only dload or upload as fast as 3G will allow me too. They suck but.... All of them do one way or another. What ya gonna do?

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kuhndsn For This Useful Post:

ChaiMuengChuaySoh (03-19-2011), g12007 (03-18-2011), imjustchilling (05-27-2011), Retell (03-18-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

damn... all great things must come to an end someday...

I told AT&T that I stream Sirius all day. They said my plan can stay the same since i don't "tether" lol

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to romeoz For This Useful Post:

billchase2 (03-17-2011), Brr (03-17-2011), BustAGroove (03-23-2011), Chrome_RCP-90 (03-18-2011), flytothesky (03-22-2011), kindbuds101 (04-07-2011), kingbijan (03-17-2011), Retell (03-18-2011)

Ha Ha. That's hilarious.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CptPalmer View Post
    I do not see how they can know you are using tethering as a jailbreak for 4.3 is not even out yet, so they must be able to figure this out at even 4.2.1 Sad day it is.

Live under a rock? 4.3 is out -.-

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I helped my boss through this one... I had him call AT&T and explain that he received a message about something called "tethering" and to act dumb and explain that he is a heavy pandora and Netflix user and doesn't understand why he's going to be billed more for it. Bottom line they couldn't prove it so they apologized and removed issue from his account with no changes.

Good luck to everyone. (my boss was on 4.2.1 and he is using about 25gb per month)

AT&T is hoping people will either ignore the message or call to apologize (Don't act guilty and you'll be fine)

17. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to jlamador2 For This Useful Post:

billchase2 (03-17-2011), Brr (03-17-2011), BustAGroove (03-23-2011), bwmguru (03-22-2011), ChaiMuengChuaySoh (03-19-2011), DoWoRkSoN (03-18-2011), ecturbo (03-18-2011), fdw1 (03-18-2011), g12007 (03-18-2011), hollow0 (03-18-2011), hornet18 (03-17-2011), imjustchilling (05-27-2011), JarrettL (03-18-2011), Lewisloon (04-11-2011), Mookest (03-17-2011), reaves205 (03-18-2011), Retell (03-18-2011), shoohorn0plenty (03-18-2011)

F*** this S***. First its apple and jailbreaking...Sony VS geohot...n now AT&T VS People. Alot has happened in a few short years. We (people) have to up our game to keep OUR things the way we like it.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to i3urger For This Useful Post:

Fr33toJB (05-14-2011), mwillsey (03-18-2011), OffBeattremble (07-14-2011)

Got this msg today. I'm on fw 4.1

I have a good question that I havent seen anyone post. I use this mywi v4.51.1. I tether through my Labtop. But my connection is super SLOW. but I have a full 3G bar on my phone. Can anyone tell me why is my connection so slow on my Labtop hard wire & wireless if I have a full 3G signal. Using mywi. Is this a app issue or a iPhone signal issue. Any suggestions on how to make it faster. Ohh and I'm the only one on my connection . No other users.

Unhappy Same thing happened to me..
    Except I only got the text, not the e-mail. Not sure if AT&T has my email. I REALLY hope that this is not what it seems. That would really suck. Especially because I purchased MyWi specifically for my iPad.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGoldenMaster For This Useful Post:

samsoon (03-18-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by JAYPIFF View Post
    Live under a rock? 4.3 is out -.-
    He said the jailbreak for 4.3 isn't out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by romeoz View Post
    I told AT&T that I stream Sirius all day. They said my plan can stay the same since i don't "tether" lol
    are serious?and it worked?
    you might be on to something

Today AT&T sent me an email and text about me tethering I'm on an unlimited data plan they said they detect that I'm tethering my iPhone 4 to my computer how is this possible. Has anyone else had this problem with AT&T and if so is there a solution thanks.
    I also have Grandfathered unlimited data on my and my wife and iPad 3G but funny my iPhone 4 and iPad are fine the email is about my wifes iPhone 4 she's not like me I jailbroke my wife's iPhone 4 for mywi to tether to her iPad wifi so she can watch netflix while at work all day. Im using FireWall IP from cydia on both phone and pad and since you could tether on the iPhone i been tethering my macbook pro and ipod touch to it. So why no text or email for my phone number can anyone ancer me that. And who dosent know wifi is free as long as someone pays the bill.
    Here's the email..

We've noticed your service plan may need updating.

Many AT&T customers use their smartphones as a broadband connection for other devices, like laptops, netbooks or other smartphones– a practice commonly known as tethering. Tethering can be an efficient way for our customers to enjoy the benefits of AT&T's mobile broadband network and use more than one device to stay in touch with important people and information. To take advantage of this feature, we require that in addition to a data plan, you also have a tethering plan.

Our records show that you use this capability, but are not subscribed to our tethering plan.

If you would like to continue tethering, please log into
    your account online at
    Cell Phones and Cell Phone Plans - Wireless from AT&T
    , or call us
    at
    1-888-860-6789
    Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 9 p.m. CST
    or Saturday, 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. CST, by March 27, 2011
    to sign up for DataPro 4GB for Smartphone Tethering.
    Here are details on the plan:

DataPro 4GB for Smartphone Tethering
    • $45 per month
    (this gives you 4GB in total, combining both your smartphone data plan for $25 and the tethering feature, $20)
    • $10 per each additional GB thereafter, added automatically as needed
    • Mobile Hotspot capabilities are included for compatible Smartphones
    If we don't hear from you, we'll plan to automatically enroll you into DataPro 4GB after March 27, 2011. The new plan – whether you sign up on your own or we automatically enroll you – will replace your current smartphone data plan, including if you are on an unlimited data plan.

If you discontinue tethering, no changes to your current plan will be required.

It's easy to track your usage throughout the month so there are no bill surprises. For example, we send you free text messages when you reach 65, 90, and 100 percent of your plan's threshold. If you would like to monitor your account more closely, go to
    Wi-Fi Data & Tethering Data Plan - Wireless from AT&T
    to learn about other ways to track your data usage.

As a reminder, our smartphone data plans also include unlimited usage of Wi-Fi at no additional charge. AT&T smartphone customers can use Wi-Fi at home or on-the-go at any one of our more than 23,000 U.S. hotspots already included in your data plan.

Thank you for bringing your account up to date. We appreciate the opportunity to continue to serve your mobile broadband needs.

Sincerely,

AT&T

Oh using mywi on iPhone 4 jail broken.
    Last edited by bignighttrain; 03-17-2011 at 09:53 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to bignighttrain For This Useful Post:

ecane (03-18-2011)

It's easy to track your usage throughout the month so there are no bill surprises. For example, we send you free text messages when you reach 65, 90, and 100 percent of your plan's threshold.
    what is the threshold for an unlimited account? please explain.

Page 1 of 74 123 11 51 ... LastLast