Page 51 of 74 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1467

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Cracking Down on MyWi Tethering?

I'm on 4.2.1 and want to jailbreak now that I can do it unteathered. I use my iPhone 4 for work and can not afford to be with out it. Before I jailbreak can anyone give me the pros and cons on the jailbreak. I have AT&T service and have also considered going to verizon here lately. I'm grandfathered to unlimited data and if I switch to verizon they still offer unlimited data for a couple more months. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks for reading

You can't use an AT&T iPhone on Verizon - you would need a new iPhone.
    Provided you don't want to unlock your iPhone you can just update and run RedSn0w.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

I knew I would need a new phone if going to verizon. But AT&T has had more dropped calls and just out right poor service. If I decide to break the att phone I have now what would you recommend.

Well a few days after receiving the text message from AT&T I received a hard copy letter in the mail advising the same information that others have received via email. I called the number yesterday and, surprisingly after only ONE ring and no voice prompts, a customer service rep. actually answered the phone (which was pleasant, at least). The customer service rep. simply read from a prepared speech and told me (quote) "your account had been flagged for using a program on your iPhone to tether your unlimited data connection on your iPhone to a 3rd party source, such as a computer, that did not have it's own internet connection". The CSR then gave me a fairly textbook definition of what tethering was (which I don't recall the exact wording).

She then stated, "I will note your account that you have called in and do not wish your account to be switched to the tethering plan. If you continue to use unauthorized tethering with your current plan, it will be switched to our tethering plan and since the unlimited plan is no longer being offered, you will be unable to switch back to the unlimited plan in the future."

And the most surprising (to me), "Your account plan will NOT be switched at this time, however; we recommend you stop using and UNINSTALL any programs that allow your iPhone to tether it's internet connection."

So she specifically mentioned programs (read: app) several times that AT&T supposedly knew I was using to tether and specifically "recommended" I actually uninstall any programs I use to tether. Perhaps I'm being paranoid, but is it possible that AT&T is actually monitoring whether MyWi or PDANet are actually INSTALLED on our phones or merely just have a way to monitor those apps tethering?
    Last edited by DJStile; 05-09-2011 at 07:23 AM.

I knew I would need a new phone if going to verizon. But AT&T has had more dropped calls and just out right poor service. If I decide to break the att phone I have now what would you recommend.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Any idea on if or when MyWi will receive the same update as PDAnet? I tether daily and would hate to lose my unlimited data. I still haven't received a message but assume it's just a matter of time.

Deadleg,
    If u jailbreak you phone just make sure u back it up first. Then if you don't like the phone jailbroke u can simply restore it. No harm no foul. I believe u only have pros with a JB iPhone. U have access to apps that apple won't allow. That is my 2 cents worth

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Guardmy6 For This Useful Post:

Deadleg (05-09-2011)

@Deadleg As I said before Provided you don't want to unlock your iPhone you can just update and run RedSn0w.
    Last edited by confucious; 05-09-2011 at 08:41 AM.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by jared24 View Post
    Yes it removes one when installing the other and here is infobyip:

HTTP headers
    Connection keep-alive
    User_agent Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS
    X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko)
    Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7
    Accept application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,t
    ext/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5
    Accept_encoding gzip,deflate,sdch
    Accept_language en-US,en;q=0.8
    Accept_charset ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.3
    Client Properties
    Screen resolution 1280 x 720
    Color depth 32
    Screen DPI 96 x 96
    Display size 15"
    Operating system Win32
    Cookies enabled yes
    Taint enabled no
    Java yes
    Flash 10.2.154

So the hide function on pdanet only changes the HTTP Headers. It still looks like your using a computer. Although I've been using it for 6 days and no problems. We will see.
    As has been pointed out dozens of time already, HTTP headers looking like they are coming from a full computer are not conclusive anyways, given how many methods there are for changing the user-agent and such on iDevices (UA Faker, for example.) So if that is all PDANet is doing, while it's nice, it's ultimately not very significant, as all one has to do is mention what header-changing utility they are using when speaking with their carrier.

Again, HTTP headers are too easily faked to be used as concrete evidence for anything. It's just plain text sent from your client to the server.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sirlance0505 For This Useful Post:

cldipad (05-09-2011), Dragonsoul80 (05-09-2011)

I wonder if that's why we don't see many posts from people getting caught who used TetherMe. Thanks for the post.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spice_weasel For This Useful Post:

Dragonsoul80 (05-09-2011), MacDevil7334 (05-09-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by jezirabid View Post
    I forgot to mention, & I don't know if it is relevant - the past couple of months, since right before my 1st ATT notice, my phone has been rebooting on its own. The last time it rebooted, I received the last ATT email indicating they had auto switched my plan, 30 minutes after the reboot. I thought it odd, as my phone hadn't done a reboot on its own in a year at least, & I haven't had any updates or new apps or anything.
    You could just have a defective battery. This was a problem with some 3GS production runs (I believe mainly this was with "old bootrom" models), where the symptoms appear to begin at a seemingly random and sudden time in the future after having used the phone for a a while. This happened on mine well after a year (and on iOS4, where the symptoms appears to become exasperated.)

I haven't had the problem since changing out my battery (from iFixIt, thanks) on my 3GS, and I would even go so far as to say it performs better than when it was brand new. So a defective batteries could really be the cause of the random reboots (or just shutdowns, as in mine and most reported cases I've read of, as well as the battery percentage becoming more and more inaccurate.)

Have anyone gotten bumped using pdanet with hiding level II on?

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor.Durden View Post
    Have anyone gotten bumped using pdanet with hiding level II on?

I've been using PDAnet with hide level 1 and no notice so far, but I have notice they r slowing my connection down

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

"PdaNet is an alternative to MyWi that has a new option to “hide” your tethering usage, assumedly redirecting you to the regular APN that the iPhone uses for data."

Assumedly is not a very good word upon which to base the idea of continued tethering. Isn't it amazing that these writers think it a great idea to pen this stuff based on guesswork rather than doing some kind of research, and maybe even talking to somebody at June Fabrics?

As of today, nobody with anything besides an "unlimited" data is getting these threats from AT$T? Its only the "unlimited folks"? I also have a question, has it been confirmed there isnt a softcap of 5gb on our unlimited data plan or has that been put to bed already? I read somewhere that some dude got totally owned by a dude who explained how there wasnt a softcap on our data plans because its not in our contract, only on the laptop data plans. Anyone know?

Thanks guys,
    Cheers!

Ahhh i finally got the text! Spoke w/ a CSR AND was told the same thing most of you were.

I have since tried pdanet but i do not like it.

My plan going forward is to resume use of MyWi until they change my plan. Once they do i will change it back via the iPhone 2G hack. If they change me again ill just change it back again and continue to do so. At some point they are gonna have to let me go without paying an ETF! then i will happily jump ship to verizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecocky1 View Post
    Ahhh i finally got the text! Spoke w/ a CSR AND was told the same thing most of you were.

I have since tried pdanet but i do not like it.

My plan going forward is to resume use of MyWi until they change my plan. Once they do i will change it back via the iPhone 2G hack. If they change me again ill just change it back again and continue to do so. At some point they are gonna have to let me go without paying an ETF! then i will happily jump ship to verizon.
    No they won't let you go, don't be silly.

This seems to make sense.

How AT&T Tracks Unauthorized Tethering On Your Jailbroken iPhone, And How To Hide It From Them
    By Oliver Haslam | May 9th, 2011

If you cast your minds back a couple of months, you’ll remember how we told you that AT&T had begun clamping down on people using tethering on their iPhones without paying for the upgraded tethering plan. Emails and SMS messages were sent informing customers that if they continued to tether they would be charged for it. At the time we weren’t sure how AT&T knew which people were actually tethering, but now we do and more importantly, we know how to get around it.

Today iPhoneDownloadBlog pointed out a snippet from a post over on AndroidPolice that is of particular interest to unauthorized iOS tethering users. Turns out they know how AT&T was able to tell when customers were tethering.

“Jailbroken iPhones typically use the same tethering technique as a standard iPhone, the one that’s already present in iOS. This method exposes tethering activity quite readily, because the iPhone, when in tethering mode, sends traffic through an alternate APN (AT&T access point/router) for the express purpose of identifying the traffic as tethered data. This makes it extremely easy for AT&T to identify whether or not an iOS device is utilizing tethering, and just how much of their data is consumed via tethering.

Some tethering applications for iOS make use of alternative methods and route tethered traffic through the phone’s normal data APN, but by and large, most jailbreakers stick with the stock application because it’s easy to use and doesn’t require any complicated setup. In fact, many iPhone users jailbreak for the sole purpose of avoiding AT&T’s tethering fees (for why, see next section). These are the people AT&T’s is going after.”

So it appears, apps that use the special data APN get noticed by AT&T’s systems, hence the strong-arm tactics. Popular jailbreak app MyWi works just as described by AndroidPolice – using the tethering APN. What we need is an app that uses the same APN as your iPhone does for its own data. According to the iPhoneDownloadBlog, that app is PdaNet.

The latest version of PdaNet comes complete with an option specifically for hiding tethering from AT&T – presumable this option changes the APN the app uses for routing data. TetherMe is another app that appears to be one AT&T can’t track, though PdaNet does seem to be the best bet if you want to avoid your carrier’s tethering charges.

So, if you’re not too keen on paying for your data twice, jailbreak your iPhone and give PdaNet a whirl – it’s available via Cydia right now.

You will, of course, need to have a jailbroken iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to install it. Follow our step by step guide posted here to jailbreak your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch with Redsn0w on iOS 4.2.1 (or untethered with GreenPois0n RC5), or on iOS 4.3.1 with Redsn0w, PwnageTool 4.3 (untethered | tethered), or with Sn0wbreeze on Windows, or on iOS 4.3.2 with Redsn0w, PwnageTool 4.3 (tethered), or with Sn0wbreeze on Windows, or on iOS 4.3.3 using Redsn0w, PwnageTool, Sn0wbreeze on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch if you haven’t already.

Check out our iPhone Apps Gallery and iPad Apps Gallery to explore more apps for your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

You can follow us on Twitter or join our Facebook fanpage to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google and Apple.

Page 51 of 74 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 61 ... LastLast