+ Reply
Page 11 of 74 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Cracking Down on MyWi Tethering?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
5.1 gb Fw 4.1 Combo of MyWi and tetherme No email or text message. Most of it is from AppStore updates as I have 7.5gbs of apps on my phone.
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

5.1 gb
    Fw 4.1
    Combo of MyWi and tetherme
    No email or text message.

Most of it is from AppStore updates as I have 7.5gbs of apps on my phone.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg05 View Post
    I didn't read thru all 200 replies so I apologize if this has already been mentioned. AT&T is definitely unable to see exactly if you're tethering or not. It's how much data you're using that's triggering the email/text. I use to think the cutoff was 5GB eventhough it says unlimited. Well if you ever wanted to get out of your contract this would be the time because I'm pretty sure you can use the automatic 'upgrade' to your plan to threaten them on a legality basis. Or maybe this is AT&T's intent? To get the big users to leave? Who knows.
    Its not legal for AT&T to suggest to users they need to upgrade. In fact if anyone is commiting a crime its the user because they are fully aware they arent sposed yo be tethering without a tethering plan. AT&T arent trying to get there big customers to leave, they just want them to pay what they 'should' be paying in their eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Anybody on a business account got this email or txt?
    Just wondering if anyone on a business account got this as well. There are a few hundred of us in our company using an iphone and everybody gets the same plan.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Data Pool
    My data (for those trying to figure out what is happening)

I didn't get a msg/email.
    I use MyWi
    iphone 4
    900mB this month

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sandifop For This Useful Post:

CompFreak07 (03-18-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg05 View Post
    I didn't read thru all 200 replies so I apologize if this has already been mentioned. AT&T is definitely unable to see exactly if you're tethering or not. It's how much data you're using that's triggering the email/text. I use to think the cutoff was 5GB eventhough it says unlimited. Well if you ever wanted to get out of your contract this would be the time because I'm pretty sure you can use the automatic 'upgrade' to your plan to threaten them on a legality basis. Or maybe this is AT&T's intent? To get the big users to leave? Who knows.
    Please explain how you know for sure they are unable to see if you are tethering or not. I would really like to know because there have been many post in the thread saying otherwise with good explanations. So please if you know something we dont enlighten us. Oh yea thats right you dont! If you somehow do I apologize but good luck convincing me or others who have a bit more knowledge on the subject than you from my understanding by what you just said.

Quote Originally Posted by iNT3Rv3NTiONZz View Post
    What? They can obviously see the amount of data their customers are using, so if a user has regular, long bursts of dramatically increased data usage then they can see they've been tethering... Its not rocket science (unfortunately) lolz

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    I hate to break it to ya but just because you all the sudden start using a lot of data does not mean you are tethering. What about watching Netflix, SlingBox, or Hulu. Or maybe using multiple programs in the App Store that let you download any files you want no matter the size, did you ever think of that?

Why do people post things without researching about them first or at least having a better understanding of what they are saying is beyond me but I have corrected enough people for the day. I am going to bed!

Quote Originally Posted by sandifop View Post
    My data (for those trying to figure out what is happening)

I didn't get a msg/email.
    I use MyWi
    iphone 4
    900mB this month
    THANK YOU... Finally someone posting something to help us figure out exactly whats going on instead of posting a bunch of noise!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    @iphone925 & others -

if an AT&T rep tells you that using Youtube or DishSling is tethering this is clearly wrong - but also potentially even more worrying:

EITHER that rep's clueless & taking cr@p OR AT&T has a new definition of 'tethering' that includes using native and App Store apps.

that would be bad.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jigme For This Useful Post:

iphone925 (03-18-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CompFreak07 View Post
    x2dope you do make very valid points.

Iphone925, thank you for letting me know where you came up with that info. I noticed that bignighttrain posted the e-mail he received here AT&T Cracking Down on MyWi Tethering? and it has the same date. I was under the impression at first that the date in the e-mail was somehow based on each individuals billing cycle but the same date is on both yours and his. To answer your original questions, because we still don't have concrete proof that they can tell your tethering or if they go by high data usage we cant be sure that just by not tethering until after that date, will stop them from changing your plan if you do have high data usage. I would consider high to be around 10GB or so but some people may think differently. Also, I don't know who you talked to with at att but if you had there name i would call back and start asking questions and complain to them that what you use are apps that you bought from the app store and to have them give you a detailed explanation of how that can be considered tethering. Read them the definition of tethering from here and see what they come back with Tethering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have searched on Google and seems like everyone is getting that March 27th date so far. It makes me wonder what's up with that march 27th thing cause the funny things is my next billing cycle starts from the 21st and if someone gets some other date beside march 27th Please let us know here hopefully some of the experts on this forum would able to figure it out how they are cracking down on the tethering exactly.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It's a fishing expedition. Their casting out their line to people that use a large amount of data relative to the average and assuming they tether, saying they're going to switch their acct automatically so they can without legal issues. Nice play AT&T, but the people that use that much data know they are and know what they're doing. Jlamador2 has it right above. Don't stand for it!

Thanks

I'm curious. Anyone on a 2GB plan + uses MyWi get the text msg warning?

My guess is no.

Thanks

To shed some more light on to this here is something interesting I just found from Google

AT&T Cracking Down on Unofficial iPhone Tethering & MyWi Users

This user basically is saying

"Based on my conversation with a rep, she said she’s received calls all day on these messages. They were targeted towards higher data users. My wife doesn’t tether and uses a lot of data with netflix, pandora, etc. I do tether and use a fraction of what she does and we both got dinged."

ca3
    Thanks

wonder if bluetooth tether is being caught? has anyone got the email after bluetooth tethering

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is there anywhere can we read this contract that "grandfathered" us into an "unlimited" plan?

I'm curious to see what the fine print says.

Thanks

this topic was on
    "attact of the show"
    last week.but I didn't even pay attention :-(

ca3
    Thanks

mywi newest on demand (using bluetooth)
    Have about 1200 mb
    no email/text

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

lol man i hope not!

Thanks

all they can do is track your usage and sniff your users-agent use socks 5 to be safe...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYPIFF View Post
    Live under a rock? 4.3 is out -.-
    The jailbreak Patrick, not the firmware.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mastuul's Avatar
    Thanks

I wonder if this will happen if you use PDANet too?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    They must have changed their definition of tethering. The list given to me was: tethering to a computer or any other devices such as laptop, home computer, hand held devices, letting friends use your data from other devices, streaming tv, streaming music, downloading videos and/or music, or any other large files. Thing is, apple doesn't have 3G restricters set on a lot of apps like YouTube, downloads, Netflix, and so on and so forth. So, really who's to blame? Not the user. It would be apple, but they aren't going to go after a big giant that would cost them a fortune to do so. They are going to go after us, tethering or not, unless you are on their other pocket stealing plans.

iPhone? More like MyPhone maddawg05's Avatar
    Thanks

@CompFreak07

I don't claim to know it all and stand to be corrected. Since you know it all, you explain to me the technology out there by any carrier and how it is technically capable of detecting tethering by an individual user. If it was possible I would think this would have surfaced a lot earlier. The only logical assumption by AT&T why a user is using 10-20 GB of data a month compared to average users are WAY less=tethering. My thought of reason (if you haven't read some posts) that people have gotten email/text and haven't tethered, but because of excessive data usage from Netflix, pandora, etc. You're right can't say for 100% but a little differential reasoning. And just because you read it on a post or two on here OR google doesn't make it true or correct.