+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No NFC in iPhone 5?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
One of the biggest rumors being thrown around for next generation iDevices, particularly the iPhone 5 is that Apple is planning adding Near Field Communication (NFC) technology, which would allow
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default No NFC in iPhone 5?

One of the biggest rumors being thrown around for next generation iDevices, particularly the iPhone 5 is that Apple is planning adding Near Field Communication (NFC) technology, which would allow iPhone users to shop and pay at retail locations using their phone, without the need for cash or card. According to new reports however, this technology has been scrapped, at least for the iPhone 5.

According to the Independent, Apple recently let European phone carriers know that the iPhone 5 will not include the previously reported NFC payment system. The reason of the removal of this feature seems to be due to Apple's concern that there is no "standard across the industry" for wave-and-pay systems yet. It had been assumed at this point that Apple would be leading the way in creating its own NFC technology, which could theoretically create a industry standard, compatible with the wildly popular phone.

It had been previously rumored that NFC would be in the iPad 2, which also came and went. It seems likely now that Apple's next iOS device will also lack the rumored feature, regardless of the previous reports from sources such as Bloomberg.

Source:
    The Independent
    Last edited by Matt Savoca; 03-14-2011 at 08:27 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Why would they put it on the iPad 2? I never heard talk about it before it was out. That would be stupid who wants to carry it around while shopping?
    Last edited by Broomhead; 03-14-2011 at 11:47 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i kinda knew this would happen. I feel like apple doesn't incorporate features unless they know there would be a huge market for it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colby21 View Post
    i kinda knew this would happen. I feel like apple doesn't incorporate features unless they know there would be a huge market for it.
    Makes sense. I had the option in as well as many others in German a few years ago to pay for such things as taxi cabs, vending machines, etc... with the cell phone but never did it. In fact I don't think I ever seen anyone doing it. Pretty cool feature but I don't think people are ready for that yet. I also don't think our security infrastructure in cell tech is as secure as I would like it to be for that option. but... I am no expert nor am I up to speed on the encryption method...

If they do offer it in the near future I think Ill step back and watch to see if there is a big security problem first.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sem656 View Post
    Why would you even post that if you aren't saying anything about it? That's dumb.

Why would they put it on the iPad 2? I never heard talk about it before it was out. That would be stupid who wants to carry it around while shopping?

Hey, Negative Nancy! Yes there was talk about NFC on the iPad 2.

Quit thinking with a one track mind. If the iPad 2 had transmit and receive NFC, an entrepreneur could take credit card payments via NFC card or iPhone(if/when equipped). Think about all the street vendors that work out of carts and trucks, they could Accept credit cards, and all they would need is an iPad.

P.S. What's up with the recent influx of people being A'holes. I remember a year or two ago, and everyone was nice and helpful. These moderators and writers are doing this for you. If you don't like the content, go to another website.

Thanks

Why would any "profitable" business spend money on delivering "anything" without first knowing there is a market? I don't understand why you're acting as if Apple is alone on this. Hahaha

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Well ... except for the iPad, right?I mean, tablets had been flaming out for years before the iPad. Now it seems like everyone and their brother is coming out with their own clone, er, tablet. Apple basically created the market by doing it right.

Thanks

Apple shouldn't turn one of the most hacked devices in history into an automated personal money exchange machine. It would be like making a chainsaw with a toothbrush attachment on the end. Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be. Furthermore, Apple and you both would want ABSOLUTE ASSURANCE it's not going to do something unexpected due to avid modifiers or error. Let someone pioneer the chainsaw toothbrush technology. Sure Apple is ahead of the tech curve but where there's a will there's a way to hack.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,669 Times in 826 Posts

NFC just seems like a bad idea. I mean, why even bother? Will this replace your wallet? No. It only takes a moment to swipe a card over a reader.

It's not like anyone is 'burdened' by their wallet: "Jesus Christ," he said to himself, "having a wallet is unbearable - I wish there was another way to pay for things so I didn't have to carry around this heavy stack of little plastic cards!"

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    It's not like anyone is 'burdened' by their wallet: "Jesus Christ," he said to himself, "having a wallet is unbearable - I wish there was another way to pay for things so I didn't have to carry around this heavy stack of little plastic cards!"
    Actually... I have said that, but I have 10 cards, not counting my IDs.

Two debit cards (Paypal, and bank)
    Two fuel cards (for purchasing gas)
    Two credit cards (travel expenses)
    Four loyalty cards (hotels, gas, etc..)

A wallet gets painful with that much in it!

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Thanks

lets think back to intel's lightpeak that got assimilated by the borg and spit out as thunderbolt connections. hmmm. i'm sure apple will find and ultimately purchase some company that is making a headway in NFC...
    "they're trashing our rights. hack the planet!"

Thanks

I feel like I should point this out every time I see "iPhone 5" mentioned. The next iPhone won't be called the iPhone 5. Apple doesn't name iPhones according to a series of numbers. The first one was called the 2g and the 2 after that were called 3G and 3Gs. If anything, the next phone will just be called the iPhone 4G and work on AT&T and Verizon's 4G networks.

Thanks

That would have been pretty sick. I'll upgrade again when 6 comes out, hopefully NFC is there by then.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Now if only they would make it so that police will accept my drivers license from my iPhone then I can forget my wallet.

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kariodude View Post
    I feel like I should point this out every time I see "iPhone 5" mentioned. The next iPhone won't be called the iPhone 5. Apple doesn't name iPhones according to a series of numbers. The first one was called the 2g and the 2 after that were called 3G and 3Gs. If anything, the next phone will just be called the iPhone 4G and work on AT&T and Verizon's 4G networks.
    The current "iPhone 4" model would seem to disagree with your theory.

Besides I don't think people are really trying to "predict the name" like you accuse, so much as using a well understood term to refer to a future product. Calling it the "iPhone 4G" right now would be even more imprudent than calling it a 5, because it makes an assumption about a feature that hasn't been confirmed.
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. -- M.C. Escher
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge. -- D.J. Boorstin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kariodude View Post
    Apple named he first one iPhone, not iphone 2g. They didn't name the second one iPhone 2 because they wanted people to know it was 3G capable. The third one couldn't be called iPhone 3 because the iPhone 3G. Now we are on track with the 4th iPhone being named iPhone 4. My money is on iPhone 5 my friend.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by novadam View Post
    Well ... except for the iPad, right?I mean, tablets had been flaming out for years before the iPad. Now it seems like everyone and their brother is coming out with their own clone, er, tablet. Apple basically created the market by doing it right.
    Features != products. Remember that.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is really the last thing I'd care to see on the next iPhone

Thanks

Haha...people neglect to remember Apple is a business 1st and foremost....2nd comes the title of technology front runner....business 1st :]

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

NFC and 4G not in the iPhone 5.

Why? Simple not enough places have 4G networking and not enough business have NFC payment machines installed.

Does paypass count as NFC?

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi