+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Engineering Images Show iPhone 5 with Edge-to-Edge Screen

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I just want a bigger screen! I could care less if the phone is bigger, heavier, or tgicker. I mean come on it's apple. They won't make it stupid big.
    Green Apple
    Thanks

I just want a bigger screen! I could care less if the phone is bigger, heavier, or tgicker. I mean come on it's apple. They won't make it stupid big.

Thanks

Same screen size, lose some weight and thickness and beef up battery life and memory! Perfect iPhone

Thanks

Everyone wants it to be thinner. I mean thin is great and all but theres a point where it starts getting ridiculously thin and becomes in danger of snapping. I would like it to feel solid and durable not paper thin and brittle. Thin is not always better.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rashad1's Avatar
    Thanks

A 4" screen is simply perfect.
    Last edited by rashad1; 03-11-2011 at 04:20 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kraziebone View Post
    I would love the same size device with a larger screen. That's what I hope for.
    That's exactly what will happen....anybody hoping for something other than this will be disappointed...

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    Same screen size, lose some weight and thickness and beef up battery life and memory! Perfect iPhone
    Yes!

I think we're the only ones tho :-(

Thanks

I would like to see them go back to the rounded back like the 3G era phones. I thought they were way easier to handle and looked a lot better. And get rid of the glass back. Oh, and a bigger screen would be a welcome addition.

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    taking the measurement from 1 constant the home button one can get approximate size of this thing... I am too busy at work to figure this thing out plus from rough estimate the screen is too small, so I am not going to bother.
    Someone needs to work this out,

The home button does look a little big (same screen small bod)

:-)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't see the screen size getting bigger in the same "small" package. If it does, say goodbye to battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastra View Post
    I would like to see them go back to the rounded back like the 3G era phones. I thought they were way easier to handle and looked a lot better. And get rid of the glass back. Oh, and a bigger screen would be a welcome addition.
    I bolded the part that I would be willing to bet my LIFE won't be happening.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 03-11-2011 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

Sem656 (03-11-2011)

Thanks

After using the samsung captivate (which has a 4" screen) I must say that the added real estate is something apple should do. Surfing the web or looking at pictures and videos on a 4" screen makes a noticeable difference. All 4 iPhones have had the same size screen and it's time for an upgrade.

Green Apple
    Thanks

A larger screen, if they kept the same resolution, would probably mean a taller iPhone - you can't just make the screen wider without making it taller. I don't think the current dimensions of the iPhone 4 would be enough for an edge-to-edge screen. In particular, the home button would be nestling in a very small amount of space, uncomfortably close to the actual screen.

And if they changed the resolution, they would be simply embarking down the long slippery slope to device fragmentation.

So either we'll see:

-a taller iPhone or an iPhone with markedly different physical dimensions to accommodate the larger screen

-the same size screen but with the iPhone chassis 'shrunk' around it

-a similar design to all previous iPhones

I'm willing to bet we'll see the third option. Without meaning to be overly sarcastic or cynical, the folks over at Apple seem to think their word is gospel - who are we the public to tell them how big a screen we need? It would be seen as too much of a reaction to competitors' handset designs rather than a design decision for its own sake.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks of aspect ratio? Hello?
    No. I agree with you. I think some don't understand. Or just want a huge phone. I for one think the current screen size is good. Make the phone match the current aspect ratio an thinner. Oh and faster w/ the same batt life or better. Thanks Santa... Speed is always good.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think a 4" display would be awesome...until next year when it becomes boring and all the Android divices go up to 5". I'm glad they're sticking with the same case design. It is still the best looking phone IMHO.

If Apple wants to keep the same aspect ratio, they will not be able to fit a 4" display in same casing. The highest they can go is 3.7". According to those photos, the display ratio looks the same. So the next model will have either the same 3.5" display in a smaller form, 3.7" display in the current form, or 4" display in a larger form.
    Last edited by hookedonkronix; 03-11-2011 at 06:23 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I will just buy an iPad 2, If I really want a bigger screen. I like the design of iPhone 4 right now. My thoughts that they should concentrate on adding those tweaks like the photoalbums

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I really hope it doesn't get a bigger screen. Bigger screen = bigger device. I have my phone at work in my pocket all day, and it's big enough.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Am I the only one that wants the slide keyboard?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luigi453 View Post
    Am I the only one that wants the slide keyboard?
    Yes....

Thanks

To the person talking about a 5" screen, do you realize just how big that is? Take a look at the Dell streak way too big for a phone. I bought one for my dad and it's just way too big. Like mentioned above it's the aspect ratio going bigger will cause headaches for dev unless the keep the same resolution, but then say bye bye to retina display. I'd like to see the a9 with a gig of memory in the same design as the 4. Just my opinion.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

no slide out keyboard please

iPhone? More like MyPhone mbeezy81's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by norfskate View Post
    I really hope this is just the same size screen with a smaller body.

Not a same size body with a bigger screen!
    What?? A same size body with a bigger screen would be perfect.