Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 60 of 60

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Android, RIM Pass iPhone in Total Smartphone Market Share

  1. #41
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    1,151
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 88 Times in 72 Posts

    What about Symbian OS not even on the list?
    Nokia uses it and they sell ALOT of phones with it, Sony/Ericsson (sp?) uses it before switching.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    What about Symbian OS not even on the list?
    Nokia uses it and they sell ALOT of phones with it, Sony/Ericsson (sp?) uses it before switching.
    This is for US only. Symbian has never had a good market share in the US.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

  3. #43
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    487
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 39 Times in 31 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    WOW!!! That is an amazing feat by Apple. What the article doesn't highlight well is the fact that Apple has just 1 phone. The iPhone. The others have several models. With that Apple is killing the competition at a much lower price margin as well.
    I think you mean the opposite. Apple's profit on each iphone is much higher than profit for other manufacturers with or without android.

  4. #44
    apple needs to step it up!

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
    So Cydia has the same level of support as Apple?
    WTF?
    Clearly you misunderstood what that statement meant. It wasn't technical support as you seem to have taken it for, it meant the number of apps available for the platform. And nowhere was Cydia mentioned.

    Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
    Easy to Become a Super User or JB
    Google

    Has no agenda towards Jail breaking or Opening up the OS
    Google
    Unfortunately, both of these points fly out the window once Android is in the hands of the manufacturer as an "agenda towards Jail breaking or Opening up the OS" is then introduced. Google does not stop the manufacturers from doing whatever they want to prevent you from doing just that. It may not be Google's agenda, but it is present.

    And in this next part, you briefly touch on this...

    Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
    Easier to Unlock
    Tie........ (Some Google are harder to unlock then others, Apple depends on Baseband)
    Some are harder to unlock than others for exactly that reason.

    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    We aren't comparing handset sales. We are comparing market share between iOS, Android, Blakcberry OS, etc. It's like comparing OSX, to Windows, to Linux, etc. It's not a HARDWARE thing... as so many people seem to be confusing it as.
    Most people aren't confusing it, they are just pointing out that the comparison is lop-sided. The comparison of market share of Windows versus OSX is just as lop-sided, because Windows can pretty much be installed on everything, including Macs, whereas OSX can only (officially) be installed on a Mac.

    And I agree, this comparison is definitely lop-sided. As with all iOS versus Android comparisons, it just lumps multiple manufacturers with multiple phone models together as a single entity and calls it Android. A fair comparison would instead be the number of iPhones in use versus other individual smartphones. Because iOS can only be installed on iPhones, a 24.7% market share means that 1 out of every 4 smartphones in use is an iPhone. Now that's damn impressive.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rokesomesmeefer For This Useful Post:

    Doran (03-09-2011)

  7. #46
    Default Boo
    Its the end of days!!

  8. #47
    Android is on 74 phones amongst about 10 carriers. iPhone OS is on 4 (each gen) phones, and on 2 networks... so yeah, Android is more likely to win...
    My Devices:

    iPod Touch 4g 4.1 - Jailbroken
    iPad 4.2.1 - Jailbroken

  9. #48
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,826
    Thanks
    553
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    Google has been very smart about this. They will continue to expand their market and reap the benefits from it.

  10. #49
    Retired Moderator StealthBravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    TX  Follow me @StealthBravo
    Posts
    32,477
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyRicky View Post
    Android is on 74 phones amongst about 10 carriers. iPhone OS is on 4 (each gen) phones, and on 2 networks... so yeah, Android is more likely to win...
    It pretty much mirrors Apple and Microsofts situation.

  11. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
    Huh? What? I have Captivates with Android and been able to easily root them and load any and all programs on it easily, even the ones Blocked by At&t, its simple, take out the sim and then use WIFI to connect to the App store and then the blocked apps show up and you can install. Trust me not the level of control like Apple.

    Not really, its not Android thats the reason its the chipset in the different phones........
    Again, you've missed the point. Worse, you've missed the point that YOU yourself made.

    Rooting and unlocking Captivates is simple. That in no way means that rooting and unlocking every other Android smartphone is simple. It all depends on the phone's manufacturer and what they've done to prevent rooting, and in some cases even the carrier.

    Apple has it easy when it comes to trying to stop jailbreaking/unlocking. They've only put out 5 phones, each model practically an upgrade from the previous model with exception to the Verizon iPhone 4. They only have to focus on preventing jailbreaking/unlocking on a very small number of devices which gets smaller over time as Apple drops updates for older devices. All they really have to focus on now are 2 versions of the iPhone 4 and whatever they are putting out next. And the longer the cat and mouse game with the jailbreak developers continues, the better Apple gets at playing.

    Manufacturers of Android phones, on the other hand, have a slew of devices. Take HTC for example. They've put out at least 19 Android phones since 2008. They can't possibly put the same effort into blocking rooting/unlocking as Apple can. The simple fact that there are so many different devices that run Android is the reason some Android phones are harder to root/unlock than others - they are not all created equal, even from the same manufacturer.

  12. #51
    No one is stopping Apple from releasing multiple phone models sporting the iOS, it's their choice of business. Not a valid argument against Android who choses the multiple device route, although I agree Apple is pretty much the 21st century's most revolutionary and influential company (judging from now, who knows what'll happen in the next 90 years). They shaped the smartphone world into what it is today, and whatever they introduce, people follow, like the tablet craze recently, so kudos to them.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to aqualeris For This Useful Post:

    sziklassy (03-09-2011)

  14. #52
    Really who cares? If iOS was for more than one handset the numbers would be different, but it's not so good for RIM and android. Still love my iPhone.

  15. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
    No friend You are clearly blinded by the light of "FanBoyism"
    You want to argue and argue that Android is just as tough to deal with as Apple and JB, that argument is a Fail

    I have spent hours on a Dev site for Android and I did not see one model of Android that there was not a root solution out for, unlike Iphone, DO I have an Unlock for 4.2.1 right now? For all Basebands? no.

    The problem I have is you and others want to post that Android and Iphone share the same problems and Iphone is then superior to Android, its just not true, they are different in execution and control.

    You dismiss the fact that I have can demonstrate how to Download blocked apps from At&t on the App market for android without rooting....... take the sim out and use wifi. So simple that the 6 year old who just got the HTC can do it.

    As far as this argument, I have no idea what your logic is, so what? Apple is planning other models of Iphone that will increase the phones to keep from jailbreaking but what does numbers have to do with a phone OS?
    Android OS is Open sourced
    Apple IOS is closed sourced
    Manufactures may be writing code for the phone model true but the heart of the OS is opened in the case of Android. When you take a new Iphone out of the box what do you have to do? Activate it or you only have 911 functions right? Not true with Android! Android and other phones, are ready out of the box, no Itunes to activate. big difference, Itunes is great and a Curse.
    If APple put out a thousand phone models all would have the Jailbreak issue, You forget to mention Ipad, Ipad and Iphone both share the OS and Jailbreak issues.
    The number of phone models have nothing to do with "blocking" as you put it. Every phone that is made is Lockable, has been since almost the beginning. Your point again is lost.
    Apple design is the heart of the problem with Jailbreaking, if Sony and Samsung made Iphones they would use the Apple chipsets and IOS, then Itunes for activation, it would be the same problem no matter what, Android is not used in the same way, it is not Licensed and patented like IOS, if allowed to be used by the others Apple would keep them from changing IOS, this is not the case for Android. SO numbers mean nothing.

    You just do not have these Updates to stop rooting as is the case for Jailbreaking.

    You can facepalm all you want but you cannot argue on something that does not exist. Look at this with logic not through Apple's eyes........ There's a whole world out there.

    And does all this have to do with the fact that Android use is 7% higher then IOS? We can whine all we want but if this continues then its the masses who are deciding no matter what we believe is better or not.

    Unfortunately I have to read posts from "FanBoys" on both Apple and Android sites.
    I'm stopping here. It is pointless to argue with someone that clearly doesn't understand basic English.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rokesomesmeefer For This Useful Post:

    sziklassy (03-09-2011)

  17. #54
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,826
    Thanks
    553
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    I just can't see RIM digging themselves out of this. Sure they have a huge business clientel, buy that is slowly being chipped away from them now that the other smartphones are catering to businesses as well.

  18. #55
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    1,151
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 88 Times in 72 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
    Your in CA? in the US Nokia is dead, just abut Nobody has a nokia phone except for GO Phone...............
    Yeah I am in SoCal, I owned Nokia/Sony/Ericsson phones because they come unlocked. Needed to be able to switch sim cards when I go to different countries, a lot cheaper to buy prepaid sim cards than to use international calling. I am on iPhone4 with no unlock (baseband), so I still use them when my iPhone is down.

    They listed Palm which I think is bankrupt and dead? Yet Symbian is not even mentioned? I am sure there are quite a few people out there that own these phones, maybe they just want to mention OS that people recognize.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    I just can't see RIM digging themselves out of this. Sure they have a huge business clientel, buy that is slowly being chipped away from them now that the other smartphones are catering to businesses as well.
    Never say never, look what happened to Apple. Thought Apple just about died, but it came back stronger than ever. If RIM is able to produce a stable and awesome OS, I am sure people will get back to RIM.
    Last edited by unison999; 03-09-2011 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  19. #56
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    Most people aren't confusing it, they are just pointing out that the comparison is lop-sided. The comparison of market share of Windows versus OSX is just as lop-sided, because Windows can pretty much be installed on everything, including Macs, whereas OSX can only (officially) be installed on a Mac.

    And I agree, this comparison is definitely lop-sided. As with all iOS versus Android comparisons, it just lumps multiple manufacturers with multiple phone models together as a single entity and calls it Android. A fair comparison would instead be the number of iPhones in use versus other individual smartphones. Because iOS can only be installed on iPhones, a 24.7% market share means that 1 out of every 4 smartphones in use is an iPhone. Now that's damn impressive.
    I don't find it lopsided at all. Basically you are stating that Apple is not TRYING to gain the most market share in anything (based on their business practices). How is it incorrect that they are still being "overtaken" in market share by these other comapanies. All market share REALLY matters for when looking at the numbers is investing. I think plenty would rather invest more of their money in companies that are hobbling up market share. In that sense, it isn't lopsided at all. Google has (and continues to gain) high market share because of their business practices. Apple can do the same, it's just not the approach they choose to take. Again, I see no reason to defend either company in any way, yet that's what people are doing. Read the posts...

    Quote Originally Posted by aqualeris View Post
    No one is stopping Apple from releasing multiple phone models sporting the iOS, it's their choice of business. Not a valid argument against Android who choses the multiple device route, although I agree Apple is pretty much the 21st century's most revolutionary and influential company (judging from now, who knows what'll happen in the next 90 years). They shaped the smartphone world into what it is today, and whatever they introduce, people follow, like the tablet craze recently, so kudos to them.
    Exactly my point, good sir.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    I just can't see RIM digging themselves out of this. Sure they have a huge business clientel, buy that is slowly being chipped away from them now that the other smartphones are catering to businesses as well.
    Rumor is their BB messenger service is headed to iOS and Android already. I see them turning out kind of like SEGA did in the video game industry (although I am not sure SEGA was EVER on top). I expect them to start moving to the software (specifically business) sector, which they undeniably do better than any of their competition.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    I'm stopping here. It is pointless to argue with someone that clearly doesn't understand basic English.
    I got a headache from reading that post too
    Last edited by sziklassy; 03-09-2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  20. #57
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,826
    Thanks
    553
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    Exactly. RIM would have to pull a rabbit out of their hat to alter the path they are heading down. Sure it could be done.

  21. #58
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    Just thought I would add this tidbit from an Android site I also frequent. This is talking about European SALES, where we are seeing Android and iPhone an basically the same number of carriers. I only point this out because of people that are STILL using the "iPhone is only on one (now two) carriers in the US... this is not a fair argument" logic.

    Also, people like to throw around the "fanboy" term a lot here. Just to clarify, I've had iPhones since DAY ONE. Not so with Android. Currently I keep both (iPhone is my personal line and the EVO is my business line) and frankly I love both and am fortunate to be able to enjoy them side by side.

    While Android has taken the lead in the US smartphone market, we shouldn’t forget that other parts of the world are loving Google’s smartphone OS just as much. As evidence to this, new data from analysis firm IDC shows just how massively the platform grew in Europe over 2010. When tallied during the fourth quarter of 2009, Android shipments numbered at 470,000 handsets. Turn the calendar up one year and the number rests at 7.9 million. Do the math and that equates to a 1580 percent growth.

    Android’s 7.9 million handsets shipped rests well ahead of its nearest competitors. Apple moved 5.2 million units while RIM had 4.8 million smartphones headed to Europe. In terms of total share, Android now holds 31 percent of the smartphone market. A year prior it held only 4 percent.

    With numbers like these, it is easy to see why IDC is predicting even more growth over the next four years as Android continues on its path of smartphone dominance.

    European Android Shipments Grew 1580% in 2010 | Android Phone Fans
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  22. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    Plus really...android could be at lead...but what more do u expect when an Os is soo desperate to get out their , they make phones soo cheap. Android is like a foodstamps Os.
    I couldn't agree more there is always a new andrioid phone coming out compare to apple one phone per year! I would say that apple is winning by far.

  23. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post


    According to the latest data published by prominent digital measurement provider comScore, Google's Android and Research in Motion's BlackBerry have become the largest mobile platforms, respectively, at the onset of this new year.
    The data shows no such thing (even allowing for the mystery of what "respectively" means in that sentence).

    What the data actually shows is that iOS is the third-most used operating system on mobile devices supplied by telcos in the United States.

    An accurate ranking of mobile operating systems would require world-wide sales data (and not just from telcos, i.e., including devices purchased directly rather than being bundled with a telco service contract).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •