+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Android, RIM Pass iPhone in Total Smartphone Market Share

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
There is no comparison. Plus I prefer my Iphone over any other phone. Apple: Iphone 4 Iphone 3GS Iphone 3g Android phone: Gratia myTouch HD Merge (Lexicon) Desire Z Transform
    Green Apple
    Thanks

There is no comparison. Plus I prefer my Iphone over any other phone.

Apple: Iphone 4
    Iphone 3GS
    Iphone 3g

Android phone:
    Gratia myTouch HD Merge (Lexicon) Desire Z Transform Gem Bravo DROID Pro Defy Spice (XT300) Kobe (MB520) Ideos Liquid Stream A10 Thunder Zio M6000 Xperia X8 Sage Charm Optimus Chic Optimus One Intercept (Moment 2) Desire HD Epic 4G Vibrant Captivate G2 (G1 Blaze) Droid 2 MT810 (O Phone) Beam Motosplit i5500 Galaxy 5 LePhone Liquid E M1 Droid X.
    I might be missing some more.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I don't consider the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 as two separate phones. I mean I guess it is but in a way it isn't. I also don't see the G1 and G2 as different phones, the G2 is a newer model. If they're the same models, and one is just an improvement upon another...i don't know maybe its just the way I see it.

If we are talking about different types of phones then you'd use Android as an example. HTC Hero HTC EVO 4G Samsung Galaxy, those are all different phones.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Doran (03-09-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Android passes iphone??????? really
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post

According to the latest data published by prominent digital measurement provider comScore, Google's Android and Research in Motion's BlackBerry have become the largest mobile platforms, respectively, at the onset of this new year. Firmly pinned in third place is Apple's iPhone, although it should be noted that the data reflects the period immediately before the Verizon iPhone was released.

The data comes from comScore's “MobiLens” service, which reports key trends in the US mobile phone industry. The latest study surveyed some 30,000 mobile subscribers, leading to the discovery that Google's Android has captured the lead among smartphone platforms with 31.2% market share. RIM, meanwhile, retains a close 30.4% share. Apple, on the other hand, comes in at 24.7% total domestic market share. Microsoft (8.0%) and Palm (3.2%) round out the top five.

With regard to the race for mobile OS supremacy, Android is clearly hanging on to a small advantage over its competitors, as 65.8 million people in the United States now own smartphones. This represents an 8% spike from the last three-month period surveyed. To read the full report from comScore with more interesting insights into the competitive smartphone landscape, click here.

Source: comScore
    I find it interesting that the media and many others say" Android is beating the iphone"," Android out selling iPhone" ect.... Blah Blah blah. Many insist that in NOT wanting make an equal
    comparison. i.e. Android IS AN OPERATING SYSTEM that is installed in more than 20+ devices Not a device. So yes it would seem Android as it is outselling the iphone or even others. The iphone is a device that runs IOS4. So it be nice if the media or even places like this one to present accurate information. Why not present the information to show how many phones Motorola, Samsung, HTC and many others that would have similar hardware to the iphone were sold an compare it to the iphone sales. This will show that Motorola and others don't have the same market share as apple does.
    Last edited by atm_10142k; 03-08-2011 at 06:24 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atm_10142k View Post
    Please don't ever make such an obnoxious post on these boards again

6. The Following User Says Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

quidam_brujah (03-09-2011)

Banned
    Thanks

Honestly Im not a fanboy but with an Opensource OS and devices with hardware that surpasses that of an iPhone, Android is clearly the winner to everyone that is tech savvy. Ofcourse many of you are hipsters and shell out hundreds on a stupid device that has a bitten apple on the back of it. that is why you consider your iphone better then android. Please come to reality soon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IXAdamOwnzXI View Post
    Honestly Im not a fanboy but with an Opensource OS and devices with hardware that surpasses that of an iPhone, Android is clearly the winner to everyone that is tech savvy. Ofcourse many of you are hipsters and shell out hundreds on a stupid device that has a bitten apple on the back of it. that is why you consider your iphone better then android. Please come to reality soon.
    That's a poor attempt at trolling. Kick rocks.

And lol at your "open" BS. So why do you have to root if it's so open?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IXAdamOwnzXI View Post
    Open-source doesn't mean that the actually OS on your device is open. You still have to jailbreak or root an Android device.

I think a good way to look at both OS's is the level of App support. iOS has exponentially more Apps for both phones and tablets over Android.

And honestly, by saying many of iPhone users are "hipsters" that use a "stupid device" you do sound like a complete Fanboy douche. Why are you a member of a site that's primary purpose is to do with information on jailbreaking and unlocking "stupid devices"? You a hipster too?
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 03-08-2011 at 04:06 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

Doran (03-09-2011), kuhndsn (03-08-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Not true. Apple has 2 phones now. The 3GS & iPhone 4. At&t still sells the 3G on their website at times.
    Really? They have the iPhone. Cut it how you want aside from facetime and speed they are the same phone, and there is no one else that is using Apples IOS.

I was referring to the many different models and manufacturers that use the apple's competitor's OS.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 808 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ccoltmanm View Post
    I'm surprised WP7 isn't going up.
    the ui is amazing, the market sucks

Thanks

Why do peopel bother comparing Android and the iPhone series? They are two very different things, it's like comparing apples and robots (pun intended). You could compare iOS and Android but who cares about witch one has been installed more? Comparisons like this are only designed to make news.

P.S. You may have to root Android phones but you have to Jailbreak and root iOS devices, what do you think you are doing when you type "sudo" or "sudo su" in mobile terminal? Cydia does this for you when you install something using it but you are still rooting you phone.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

You should really compared sales of iPhone 4 vs HTC Desire vs Samsung Galaxy S vs BB Bold or something as they were all priced similarly.

I hated Blackberry's but after using my sis's BB Bold for a bit to help her download apps from the BB Store, its not a bad phone..

WP7 just sucks, I'm still sticking with iPhone 4 for another year.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ccoltmanm View Post
    I'm surprised WP7 isn't going up.
    No good apps for it + the update that bricked some phones.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
    So Cydia has the same level of support as Apple?
    WTF?
    Can you please identify where I said anything about Cydia?

I compared the iOS App Store to the Android Marketplace

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It's user preference. The iPhone can be the best in so many aspects or Android as well but there will always be someone who doesn't like something about some phone.

User preference. Stop comparing the OS's and open source abilities or jailbreaking, this is about the sales of the devices. Yes the way the devices run might just have to do with the sales but really, are you going to have yet another disagreement about why android is better or why iPhone is better.

This thread was actually intelligently constructive in the beginning when people were talking about how they feel about the sales numbers. Now it's back to being another android vs apple OS thread.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post

P.S. You may have to root Android phones but you have to Jailbreak and root iOS devices, what do you think you are doing when you type "sudo" or "sudo su" in mobile terminal? Cydia does this for you when you install something using it but you are still rooting you phone.
    You're missing the point. Google claims to be open this and open that blah blah blah but anytime you want to do custom roms, you gotta root. How is that open? Apple make no such claims of openess. If Google wasn't trumpeting "open" all the time, I wouldn't have a beef.

BTW, I run a T-Mo G2 on my other line and absolutely love it. I'm just not sold on the open argument.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I guess android cant be 100% open because then the average Joe would make the device unusable in a few hours.

All I can say is that I had the iphone 4 and i liked it, but it was missing something. Now I have an Evo and you cant beat the price and the 4G speeds on sprint. I hardly ever have a problem with their network.

Apple makes excellent hardware quality but always forget to add that extra feature to save it for the next model. That pisses me off (i.e. The camera on the iPad 1)

It really is a matter of choice. I chose Android, the roms are great and I have all the apps that i wanted from iOS on android.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I just LOVE the people rushing to Apple's defense. Google's and Apple's marketing tactics are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Google allows Android OS to be sold with any handset that the manufacturer wants to put it on. Google makes (or plans to make) money on ads, NOT hardware or (really) software sales, as does Apple. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT APPROACHES HERE PEOPLE! Yes, you do see Android on cheaper units. That is a a major selling point though. I don't see why people feel the need to point this out. The very reason you see Android on such a plethora of phones is because that is what it is supposed to be doing. If Apple wanted to do the same thing, they would have to change their business model. Apple is making the cash now, whereas Google is banking on getting the cash in the future. In the long run, Google is paying for software development only. The hardware in ALL CASES is left to the handset manufacturer. The idea is to get people hooked on the OS and get slow but steady income through ads rather than software/hardware sales. I sure wish people understood what they were talking about before talking out their @$$es...

Quote Originally Posted by jdm.accord View Post
    You're missing the point. Google claims to be open this and open that blah blah blah but anytime you want to do custom roms, you gotta root. How is that open? Apple make no such claims of openess. If Google wasn't trumpeting "open" all the time, I wouldn't have a beef.

BTW, I run a T-Mo G2 on my other line and absolutely love it. I'm just not sold on the open argument.
    Android is open. The difference is the handset manufacturer has the right to lock the kernel and make you root. Get a Nexus model (the only phones endorsed by Google). You won;t have to do that. Google's SOFTWARE is completely open. They aren't in the HARDWARE business.

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    You should really compared sales of iPhone 4 vs HTC Desire vs Samsung Galaxy S vs BB Bold or something as they were all priced similarly.

I hated Blackberry's but after using my sis's BB Bold for a bit to help her download apps from the BB Store, its not a bad phone..

WP7 just sucks, I'm still sticking with iPhone 4 for another year.
    We aren't comparing handset sales. We are comparing market share between iOS, Android, Blakcberry OS, etc. It's like comparing OSX, to Windows, to Linux, etc. It's not a HARDWARE thing... as so many people seem to be confusing it as.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 03-08-2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (03-08-2011), Dukerdink (03-09-2011), mortopher (03-10-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I just LOVE the people rushing to Apple's defense. Google's and Apple's marketing tactics are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Google allows Android OS to be sold with any handset that the manufacturer wants to put it on. Google makes (or plans to make) money on ads, NOT hardware or (really) software sales, as does Apple. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT APPROACHES HERE PEOPLE! Yes, you do see Android on cheaper units. That is a a major selling point though. I don't see why people feel the need to point this out. The very reason you see Android on such a plethora of phones is because that is what it is supposed to be doing. If Apple wanted to do the same thing, they would have to change their business model. Apple is making the cash now, whereas Google is banking on getting the cash in the future. In the long run, Google is paying for software development only. The hardware in ALL CASES is left to the handset manufacturer. The idea is to get people hooked on the OS and get slow but steady income through ads rather than software/hardware sales. I sure wish people understood what they were talking about before talking out their @$$es...

Android is open. The difference is the handset manufacturer has the right to lock the kernel and make you root. Get a Nexus model (the only phones endorsed by Google). You won;t have to do that. Google's SOFTWARE is completely open. They aren't in the HARDWARE business.

We aren't comparing handset sales. We are comparing market share between iOS, Android, Blakcberry OS, etc. It's like comparing OSX, to Windows, to Linux, etc. It's not a HARDWARE thing... as so many people seem to be confusing it as.
    Last year Google made about $133 million from 22.5 million Android users from advertisements, applications and in-app purchases. It's estimated to grow to $1.3 billion by 2012.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iamkadaj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kingmofo View Post
    There is no comparison. Plus I prefer my Iphone over any other phone.

Apple: Iphone 4
    Iphone 3GS
    Iphone 3g

Android phone:
    Gratia myTouch HD Merge (Lexicon) Desire Z Transform Gem Bravo DROID Pro Defy Spice (XT300) Kobe (MB520) Ideos Liquid Stream A10 Thunder Zio M6000 Xperia X8 Sage Charm Optimus Chic Optimus One Intercept (Moment 2) Desire HD Epic 4G Vibrant Captivate G2 (G1 Blaze) Droid 2 MT810 (O Phone) Beam Motosplit i5500 Galaxy 5 LePhone Liquid E M1 Droid X.
    I might be missing some more.
    You're missing punctuation. :P

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdm.accord View Post
    That's a poor attempt at trolling. Kick rocks.

And lol at your "open" BS. So why do you have to root if it's so open?
    Rooting is for installing custom roms get off it already. Hell Apple is so locked down they wouldn't even let you add a wallpaper to your home screen until 4.0 came out (or was it 3.0). iOS is a closed system, Android is open.

Start your own cellphone manufacturing company. Call Apple & Google tell them you want their OS on the phone your creating. See who says yes. Now you know who is open & who is closed.

Here's the funny part about all this arguing. Google is stealing more market from Rim, than Apple. Apple only dropped .1% while Rim lost 5.4%
    Last edited by Cokeman; 03-08-2011 at 07:42 PM.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.