Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rumor: Apple Considering Aluminum Back for iPhone 5

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Rumor: Apple Considering Aluminum Back for iPhone 5

Apple is believed to be weighing its options with regard to dumping the present iPhone 4 glass back design in favor of an aluminum back reminiscent of the very first iPhone that debuted almost four years ago. If the change takes place, it will likely happen ahead of the anticipated iPhone 5 launch this summer.

Based on the information possessed by the folks at Taiwan's Economic Daily News, Apple is pushing ahead with an iPhone 5 design that is remarkably similar to the iPod touch. Rumors aside, logic would suggest that Apple may dump their use of glass in favor of aluminum to reduce both the weight of the iPhone 5 and to increase its resistance to scratches. As we've been reading extensively in recent weeks, Apple is apparently taking "scratch resistant" surfaces and coatings very seriously. Consequently, the iPhone 5 will probably be the most scratch-proof handset in the five generation existence of the iPhone.

Although the Taiwanese report is - for some reason - generating hype primarily for the handset's rumored aluminum backing, the same report also dishes on something that - if true - would seemingly be of much greater interest to the majority of iPhone fans and users. According to Taiwan's Economic Daily News, the iPhone 5 will deliver the same A5 processor as the iPad 2, a development that will deliver an entirely new capacity for speed to the handset.

Source: Taiwan's Economic Daily News (from Macotakara and Apple Insider).

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

Ewww I saw this on another thread. I hope to god they find a way to make it look prettier than this.

I think the iPhone 4 is gorgeous aside from how delicate the glass back is.
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zinjen For This Useful Post:

SirTimothy1 (03-07-2011), vedavis (03-07-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone vedavis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    Ewww I saw this on another thread. I hope to god they find a way to make it look prettier than this.
    I agree with that. Plus it better not interfere with the antenna or there's going to be an uproar.

Thanks

^^ eeeekk yuck

Just make the iPhone 5 same as 4 just thinner and antenna inside..the iPhone 4 glass front/back is sexy unlike other smart phones.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Didnt iPhone 2G have Aluminun back? So whenever you put your phone down on the table scratches are all over the phone. After a month phone looked like you went skiing with it.

I quite like it too and it has a A5 dual core well I have a semi just thinking about it lmao

I wish I had a miniature elephant that fit in the palm of my hand. I would pick him up and he'd lift up his trunk and stand on his back legs and say PRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHH and I would say yes little elephant i love you too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to manickbarry For This Useful Post:

Tfost (03-07-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

I kind of like it except Apple wouldnt go back to the same design they once made.

From 2G to 3G big difference. From 3G and 3GS, 4G looked nothing like the two.

I like it. And yes they should bring back the aluminum design, the first gen iPhone was built like a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    looks good, but I'd miss the apple logo and I hear because of the beveled edge it won't fit in most covers/cases. Let us know how you like it if you do get it.

Razor Edge sells one that has a flat back, instead of beveled, but they are out of stock Off to find somewhere else....

Here is another place: http://cnn.cn/shop/apple-iphone-c-25...9659aff3cf5599

Twitter: @tshoults

I would like them to use carbon fiber for the back.

That aluminum is ugly.
    Last edited by 51504rock; 03-07-2011 at 01:26 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

So Apple want to combat the antenna problem of the iPhone 4s Steel Band by making the entire casing out of another radio blocking metal?
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 03-07-2011 at 01:41 PM.

I hope that's not any way close to being the iPhone 5. Looks like an iPod touch... They should just keep the i4 design maybe fix the antenna design up a bit and add the aluminum back, or what ever happened to the liquid metal thing?? They should just toss liquid metal on the back for protection and with that A5 chip and again new antenna design and I'll gladly buy that one.

Yes! The design in this picture is far superior to the glass "Brick" that is the iPhone 4.

The iPod Touch 4 feels way better than the iPhone 4.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

apwtwenty (03-07-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    Go with the flat one man. The beveled one causes your camera to have a vignette affect on your pictures. I tried it.
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

Please let it be a unibody iPhone 5 I'd be so happy
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

That looks sweet

Am I the only one who has dropped my iPhone 4 at least 20 times and still not a crack?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast