+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad 2 Has 512 MB Memory: Report

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Probably the most significant new feature of the iPad 2 (except, I guess, for those planning on carrying it around like a very big camera ) is the new A5
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPad 2 Has 512 MB Memory: Report

Probably the most significant new feature of the iPad 2 (except, I guess, for those planning on carrying it around like a very big camera) is the new A5 processor. Apple's claiming twice the performance and up to nine times the graphics power. As usual, though, they were mum on the details of what's inside the chip. A (so far unsubstantiated) report out today, though, says that not only has Apple included the same 512 MB of memory in the iPad 2 as the iPhone 4, but also that it's faster LPDDR2 RAM.

During the iPad 2 announcement, Apple gave only the vaguest idea of what's under the hood. They did refer to a dual-core 1GHz ARM processor and a faster graphics chip. Apple habitually refrains from publishing specs on iPad and iPhone internals, preferring to focus on performance claims (10 hours of battery life, twice as fast, etc). They've never said how much RAM is in any of their devices: we only find out after a chip has been torn down. In the rumor stream leading up to Wednesday's announcement, it was reported that the iPad 2 would get 512 MB of RAM, like the iPhone 4, and that the memory bus speed would be boosted to 1066 MHz instead of the 800 MHz of the A4.

This report is apparently being bolstered by a tweet from Korean analyst Kakeun Lee in response to reports that the new tablet has the same amount of RAM as the first-generation iPad. Contradicting an Apple employee at a press demo in London who claimed the iPad 2 has only 256 MB of memory, Lee stated that the A5 has 512MB of LPDDR2 SDRAM. Low power double data rate synchronous DRAM was used in the A4 to lower overall power consumption to deliver more power without sacrificing battery life. The second generation, LPDDR2, runs the memory core and I/O at 1.2 V, a significant savings over the 1.8 V required by the A4's LPDDR1 SDRAM. It also runs at 1066 MHz (properly, 1066 million transfers per second) as opposed the the 800 Mtransfers/sec on the A4, again in line with earlier reports.

We won't know for sure, of course, until the guys at iFixit get their mitts on an iPad 2 in a week's time. However, it'd be very surprising if Apple didn't stay ahead of the curve here. With many smartphones and tablets getting Qualcomm's second-generation Snapdragon SoC with LPDDR2 RAM this year, Apple wouldn't be able to hide behind unpublished specs for long.

Source: MacRumors

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (03-04-2011)

Thanks

I couldn't imagine Apple bumping up almost everyother hardware stat and doing nothing to one of the most important. I would really be surprised if it didn't have 512 MB of memory
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No way it has 256MB of RAM. That's the only reason I sold my iPad to get the new one. Safari was painful it had to reload every tab.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Yeah, I guessed it was probably 512mb. 1Gb will probably be in the iPad 3.

Thanks

I have no doubt about the RAM having been increased simply due to the need for more video processing ability and with the claimed 9x improvement in video performance. As this device is more aggressively geared toward content creation as opposed to just consumption there will be a definitive need to increase the available memory for processing not just storage.

I would have thought it should have been bumped to 1GB as opposed to only 512MB but that added memory may have also been an unnecessary draw of precious voltage thus risking the continued battery life claim of 10 hrs.

No matter what the new memory configuration is there will be a stampede of people who will be wanting the new model. My 15 yr old son has already asked for the newer model despite his having just received the original in 32GB WiFi flavour for Xmas (with the help of his school's discounted purchase program). I can see that there will be a near glut of original ipads on the buy & sell sites now as people upgrade to the newer device whether they need it or not.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobby563 View Post
    No way it has 256MB of RAM. That's the only reason I sold my iPad to get the new one. Safari was painful it had to reload every tab.
    1) Anything less than 1GB is quite pathetic these days.

2) Even with small amounts of RAM, Safari could be smarter and cache things in flash memory. Never understood why it doesn't... (well, I do... it is to increase data traffic and the profits of AT&T).

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wirehedd View Post
    As this device is more aggressively geared toward content creation as opposed to just consumption...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

512mb of RAM would be a good call. That would drive down costs and make the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 cheaper to manufacturer.

iPhone? More like MyPhone nautical79's Avatar
    Thanks

If things go well with the ipad, probably well see the A5 processor on the new iPhone?

100th post woo hu
    Last edited by nautical79; 03-04-2011 at 02:28 PM.
    Common Sense Its Not So Common

iPhone? More like MyPhone CaptBojank's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nautical79 View Post
    If things go well with the ipad, probably well see the A5 processor on the new iPhone?

100th post woo hu
    I'm sure we will at least see the A5 in the next iphone, if not something beyond that.
    --= Fortes fortuna adiuvat =--

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know why don't they crank it up to 1gb ram and make it a beast. Next year another 256mb increase again.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I guess it was a smart move, its cheaper than its competitors so I guess more sales for Apple.

Now I have to decide between an iPad 2 or Nintendo 3DS....

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by delusion950 View Post
    I don't know why don't they crank it up to 1gb ram and make it a beast. Next year another 256mb increase again.
    As Steve Jobs said, we're in a "post-PC era", so I don't think Apple is primarily concerned with specs rather than the total experience. If 512 alone provides a clean, snappy experience, they're good with that.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wirehedd View Post
    As this device is more aggressively geared toward content creation as opposed to just consumption...
    Yeah we all know how productive iPads are....if you count productivity as in playing games, movies and tv shows. As far a productivity goes, the iPad is next to worthless.

I love my iPhone 4 but I don't need a 10" god damn iPod touch. Nor do I need a 10" iPod touch with marginally (if that) updated specs than my iPhone 4...

And cue fanboy flame.....

Thanks

I have no doubt in my mind that it has more ram.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

I had a dream last night that I was Scott Bakula from Quantum Leap and I lept into Jobs a minute before he came onstage. Instead of just announcing the iPad 2, I was explained to everyone that jailbreaking was now ok, and then I took everyone out for icecream.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lombardo Joe For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (03-04-2011)

Thanks

I understand why some people say the camera's on the iPad are stupid, and who would want to walk around and take photos with it.

BUT ITS FOR FACETIME! Half of facetime is, "hey look what i'm looking at"

I understand if some apple hater said this, but for a ModMyi WRITER to say it... WOW.
    I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 836 Posts

256mb sucks pretty bad. After all the background apps and OS has loaded you only have about 100mb to work with. Never, ever buy a first-generation gadget!

Thanks

^It's not bad but it's not good either...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Doran's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skj8100 View Post
    Yeah we all know how productive iPads are....if you count productivity as in playing games, movies and tv shows. As far a productivity goes, the iPad is next to worthless.

I love my iPhone 4 but I don't need a 10" god damn iPod touch. Nor do I need a 10" iPod touch with marginally (if that) updated specs than my iPhone 4...

And cue fanboy flame.....
    I don't believe anyone NEEDS these things at all, it's more of a WANT. I made out just fine before they came along.

I use my iPad at work and it has made my job a snap. I don't have to wait for my netbook to boot up to start working. Yes, I can do the same things on my iP4 but I like the larger screen to get it done on.

If my iPad died right now.... I guess I would just open my netbook and get back to work.