+ Reply
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad 2 vs. The Competition

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by xclusiveiphone You think too highly on the aspect of iOS efficiency. IMHO it will need more than 512mb ram to run multitasking smoothly. I find myself running
    iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xclusiveiphone View Post
    You think too highly on the aspect of iOS efficiency. IMHO it will need more than 512mb ram to run multitasking smoothly. I find myself running low on memory with iPhone 4 all the time.
    Are you sure it's an iPhone FOUR?? 512 is more than enough to handle all the ridiculous crap I install and run: and I'm a heavy user.

Many people who are brand new to purchasing an apple product still believe that processor speed and ram are somehow comparable to other products or even relevant to the purchase. Apple (recent as of post-2000 era) does not release a product that isn't guaranteed to work smoothly. CPU and RAM are irrelevant. Compare actual usage. The os's of apple are so much better than the competition that apple has been selling hardware to accompany it's software for longer than most competitors have been in the computing industry.

In the end, Os efficiency makes all the difference. Don't believe me? Compare your iPhone four to that motorola brick or the htc drywall.

Green Apple
    Thanks

What about flash?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Im constantly running low on RAM on my i4 having to clean **** out of RAM with SB settings and kill everything in the background of multitasking which IMO is ridiculously implemented.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ipad 2 ready to rock the market. like ipad rocked when it was first released. hoping ipad 2 sets a record in its sales.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Hardware-wise they're all pretty much the same, tho most Tablets have better camera than iPad.

But as StealthBravo said, it's all about the software

I think it's a testament to iOS that it started out as a Phone OS, and was so easily scalable for a Tablet Device, the same cannot be said for Android, they had to go back and design Honeycomb specifically for Tablets.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Daniel Ash View Post

Yesterday's iPad 2 announcement threw down the gauntlet to the host of tablet challengers, many of which haven't even gotten their product to market yet. How does Apple's second tablet compare to the first generation of its rivals? We pulled the specs for the new iPad and its closest competitors: the large-format Android tablets - Motorola's Xoom, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, and the LG Optimus Pad - HP's TouchPad, and the BlackBerry PlayBook.

Let's see how they compare:

Processor
    iPad: Apple A5 1GHz dual-core
    Xoom: NVIDIA Tegra 2 1GHz dual-core
    Galaxy Tab: NVIDIA Tegra 2 1GHz dual-core
    Optimus Pad: NVIDIA Tegra 2 1GHz dual-core
    TouchPad: Qualcomm Snapdragon 1.2 GHz dual-core
    PlayBook: ARM Cortex-A9 1GHz dual-core

Storage
    iPad: 16/32/64 GB
    Xoom: 32 GB
    Galaxy Tab: 16/32 GB
    Optimus Pad: 32 GB
    TouchPad: 16/32 GB
    PlayBook: 16/32/64 GB

Network
    iPad 2: 802.11 b/g/n, GSM, CDMA
    Xoom: 802.11 a/b/g/n, CDMA
    Galaxy Tab: 802.11 b/g/n, GSM
    Optimus Pad: 802.11 b/g/n, GSM
    TouchPad: 802.11 b/g/n, GSM
    PlayBook: 802.11 b/g/n, WiMAX, LTE, HSPA+

Screen
    iPad: 9.7" 1024x768
    Xoom: 10.1" 1280x800
    Galaxy Tab: 10.1" 1280x800
    Optimus Pad: 8.9" 1280x768
    TouchPad: 9.7" 1024x768
    PlayBook: 7" 1024x800

Rear Camera
    iPad: 720p HD
    Xoom: 5 megapixel
    Galaxy Tab: 8 megapixel
    Optimus Pad: dual 5 megapixel
    TouchPad: none
    PlayBook: 5 megapixel

Front Camera
    iPad: VGA
    Xoom: 2 megapixel
    Galaxy Tab: 2 megapixel
    Optimus Pad: 2 megapixel
    TouchPad: 1.3 megapixel
    PlayBook: 3 megapixel

OS
    iPad: iOS 4.3
    Xoom: Honeycomb
    Galaxy Tab: Honeycomb
    Optimus Pad: Honeycomb
    TouchPad: webOS 3.0
    PlayBook: BlackBerry Tablet OS

Sensors
    iPad: light, accelerometer, compass, gyroscope
    Xoom: light, accelerometer, magnetometer, barometer, gyroscope
    Galaxy Tab: light, accelerometer, compass, gyroscope
    Optimus Pad: light, compass, gyroscope
    TouchPad: light, accelerometer, compass, gyroscope
    PlayBook: accelerometer

Video
    iPad: 1080p HDMI, VGA
    Xoom: 1080p HDMI
    Galaxy Tab: HDMI
    Optimus Pad: 1080p HDMI
    TouchPad: n/a
    PlayBook: HDMI

Available
    iPad: March 11
    Xoom: now
    Galaxy Tab: unknown
    Optimus Pad: "some time in the second quarter"
    TouchPad: unknown
    PlayBook: April 10? (rumor)

Price
    iPad: starting at $499
    Xoom: $599 WiFi, $799 3G
    Galaxy Tab: unknown
    Optimus Pad: unknown
    TouchPad: unknown
    PlayBook: $499? (rumor)

While most products have some unique feature or another that sets it apart from the rest, they are fairly comparable, at least to the casual user. What this suggests is that consumers are going to make their choice based on price and brand familiarity. And while many competitors have not released their prices yet - and may decide to set them based on the iPad - if this is the case, it could be that the iPad may continue to have the advantage for a while.

So is 2011 going to be "the year of the iPad 2?" We'll have to wait and see, though if competitors' offerings continue to be late out of the starting gate, the iPad's lead may be hard to overcome.
    Seriously? You listed everything? It's called a spreadsheet!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Niner1000RR View Post
    I would LOVE to buy the iPad2, my only issue is I need a tablet for work. 2 things that I really need is the ability to use an excel spreadsheet that includes data validation, which I couldn't get to work on the iPad.

Another plus would be the ability to load some Windows based photometric software. If the excel spreadsheet would work I would do without this one...

Only option I see would be to develop an app that does what my spreadsheet does. Which could be pretty time consuming.

I've been looking at the eee Slate as a solution to my issue, being windows based I could install office which would allow my spreadsheet to operate and even load my photometric software. But I would really like to have the iPad that weighs less, out sooner and has a MUCH better UI.

I know its not perfect but you could always RDP or VNC to a desktop from your ipad to do all this. I do it all the time.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snowdweller View Post
    Im constantly running low on RAM on my i4 having to clean **** out of RAM with SB settings and kill everything in the background of multitasking which IMO is ridiculously implemented.
    I can't stand Apples "multitasking" I have it completely turned off. At least be able to decide what Apps can be "multitasked" and what Apps cannot, you only really need it for an handful, but instead every single App gets stuck into the "multitasking" bar

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Hardware-wise they're all pretty much the same, tho most Tablets have better camera than iPad.

But as StealthBravo said, it's all about the software

I think it's a testament to iOS that it started out as a Phone OS, and was so easily scalable for a Tablet Device, the same cannot be said for Android, they had to go back and design Honeycomb specifically for Tablets.
    They didn't have to create Honeycomb. They did so because one of the biggest complaints about tablets was that they felt like nothing more than bigger versions of the phones. Of course IOS is going to be scalable to a tablet. Why wouldn't it be? It literally functions as a larger version of the iPhone.

Thanks

Honestly I'll stick with the ipad2 for now. In about a year or so after honeycomb matures I will more than likely be switching as it is apparent apple will always be inside the "apple box" regarding features (we tell consumers what they want, not the other way around). I am a huge apple fan however if the OS was already a little more mature I would probably go with the xoom as I prefer to decide what should and shouldn't go on my tablet which I fully intend to replace the bulk of my pc activities eventually. Also the whole dongle thing is a real fly in the ointment.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iSteed's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by supr2nr View Post
    Listen I'm no Apple fan nor am I no Android fan by any means but your statement is just ridiculous. I have an iPad that I was given for free and I have an Motorola Droid X phone. Stating that there are not as many apps on the android market is just plain ridiculous. 99% of the time the same app that is in the Apple app store is also in the Android Market. The other 1% of the time you will find an app that is in the Android market and not in the Apple app store.

Granted there are not a lot of Tegra based HD apps out yet in the android market aimed directly for the tablets. But that is because until recently there were no Android tablets. Which if I remember correctly iPad had the same issue as well at launch with the iPad 1. People complained about there being no optimized ipad apps available in the app store and then eventually people began to make ipad optimized apps.

The truth of the matter is it comes down to the individuals taste. Do they prefer to have the option of a more customizable user interface such as what Android tablets offer or do they prefer to have the simple UI that iOS offers. You can't set someone free. You can't make someone like something that they don't already like.
    I'm sorry but you statement I'd absolutely ridiculous. I can't tell you how many people I have turned to the iPhone and iPad because once they see it for them selves and interact with it and they have that direct comparison they realize....,.. There really is no comparison. Droids universal os sucks. Go find a droid site to be a fanboi on

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iSteed View Post
    I'm sorry but you statement I'd absolutely ridiculous. I can't tell you how many people I have turned to the iPhone and iPad because once they see it for them selves and interact with it and they have that direct comparison they realize....,.. There really is no comparison. Droids universal os sucks. Go find a droid site to be a fanboi on
    Actually, I have to agree with supr2nr. You need to back it up with more than "there is no comparison".

iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    it's all about software IMO
    Could have just posted 'first'.
    "they're trashing our rights. hack the planet!"

Thanks

Missed something big, and a major win for iPad 2 - battery life and standby.

Thanks

I think this can be summed up as iPad win
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I still don't know which could work for me, I study online and the University use sometimes flash slices to show some part of the module. Sometimes they record sound etc for (Logic 9 class) etc. Its kind of risky for me buy Xoxo and take the chance.

Any suggestion?

iPhone? More like MyPhone iSteed's Avatar
    Thanks

maybe this will help some you droid lovers that are here on apple based community forum site to decide.

Google Pulls 'Poisoned Apps' From Android Market - Pennsylvania News Story - WGAL The Susquehanna Valley

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Then Ipad 2 is the way to go!! Don't get me wrong I'm all Mac, I have OSX as my main platform. Just dealing with adobe flash problem. =(

Thanks

Why the **** would you Need a flash on the camera on an iPad? Who the **** takes pictures and videos while holding a giant *** iPad? Honestly the only use for the camera is FaceTime which I'm glad apple only showed at the event yesterday. Get a damn camera or use your cellphone camera to take pictures >_<

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ROFL, Adobe Flash LOL not a flash