+ Reply
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad 2 vs. The Competition

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by athleticswimmer IPAD FTW!!! why? because it's literally almost the same as all of the tablets and even better than some. But the ipad has what no tablet
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by athleticswimmer View Post
    IPAD FTW!!! why? because it's literally almost the same as all of the tablets and even better than some. But the ipad has what no tablet has, APPS!!! ever heard the saying "theres an app for that" yea well with apple that has become true and you can't beat the apps. My friend has the galaxy tab and he hates apple but never says why ( jealous much?) lol. But when were playing games we always end up sharing my ipad. Once I show him the ipad 2 hopefully the android spell will stop controlling his brain and then he can be set FREE!!! jk but seriously android messed with the bull and got the horns, let the games begin.
    Listen I'm no Apple fan nor am I no Android fan by any means but your statement is just ridiculous. I have an iPad that I was given for free and I have an Motorola Droid X phone. Stating that there are not as many apps on the android market is just plain ridiculous. 99% of the time the same app that is in the Apple app store is also in the Android Market. The other 1% of the time you will find an app that is in the Android market and not in the Apple app store.

Granted there are not a lot of Tegra based HD apps out yet in the android market aimed directly for the tablets. But that is because until recently there were no Android tablets. Which if I remember correctly iPad had the same issue as well at launch with the iPad 1. People complained about there being no optimized ipad apps available in the app store and then eventually people began to make ipad optimized apps.

The truth of the matter is it comes down to the individuals taste. Do they prefer to have the option of a more customizable user interface such as what Android tablets offer or do they prefer to have the simple UI that iOS offers. You can't set someone free. You can't make someone like something that they don't already like.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to supr2nr For This Useful Post:

rocky5 (03-04-2011), sziklassy (03-03-2011), tecpunk64 (03-03-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Comments like "its all about software" -> wrong
    Comments like "its all about hardware" -> wrong
    Comments like "its wtf/ololo my ars is better etc." -> wrong

It is about symbiosis of hardware that is powerful enough and apps that ppl want to use without hassle.
    Optimization is what most of todays software lacks, so it does not uses HW resources at maximum efficiency, that what makes "less paper stats powerful" iOS devices work smoother, soft is optimized better than the competing one.
    And from this point of view as of now competition are miles behind iOS devices (unfortunately).
    PRAETORIANNI NONNUMQUAM IN PROELIO NUMQUAM IN BELLO SUPERANTUR

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dennder For This Useful Post:

slickric (03-03-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Didn't you all know that crApple is a nickel and dime company.
    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Thanks

I think apple missed it with the iPad 2. They're doing just enough to get by. I think it's time to implement flash. F what you think apple,what about the consumers? The iPad 2 is nice, but I think they could've done a little more to ensure that they smoked every other tablet in every category w/o leaving doubt.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Niner1000RR's Avatar
    Thanks

I would LOVE to buy the iPad2, my only issue is I need a tablet for work. 2 things that I really need is the ability to use an excel spreadsheet that includes data validation, which I couldn't get to work on the iPad.

Another plus would be the ability to load some Windows based photometric software. If the excel spreadsheet would work I would do without this one...

Only option I see would be to develop an app that does what my spreadsheet does. Which could be pretty time consuming.

I've been looking at the eee Slate as a solution to my issue, being windows based I could install office which would allow my spreadsheet to operate and even load my photometric software. But I would really like to have the iPad that weighs less, out sooner and has a MUCH better UI.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Apple has survived and outsold practically everything since 2007 without Flash. Let that crap die. And pachi1972, if you don't like apple, what the hell are you doing on an apple related forum with an iPhone? GTFO troll. Bring on March 11. Niner--even with the other office type apps like DocumentsToGo?
    Last edited by DubbaCTrumpetMSU; 03-03-2011 at 10:33 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DubbaCTrumpetMSU For This Useful Post:

Doran (03-03-2011)

Thanks

The only flash you will see on an apple product is for the camera , which they failed to install on the ipad 2 . Along with not installing GPS which would have put it over the top IMO . They dont even offer an app to connect a bluetooth GPS that I know of.
    Anyway the HDMI dongle is a cool feature , just wish it wasnt $40.

iPhone? More like MyPhone nautical79's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    it's all about software IMO
    +1
    Common Sense Its Not So Common

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ram matters, commonly known that more ram equals better performance although I agree that os optimization is as important it's foolhardy to say ram is meaningless

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

All these stats mean very little once you start to compare how all these devices actualy WORK.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Amount of RAM is kind of meaningless actually. It all has to do with the efficiency of the OS. Even with multitasking the iPad 2 will not need more than 512MB of RAM since the screen is the same resolution. Apple has not reported the amount of RAM either so until ifixit does a tear down no one will know for sure.
    You think too highly on the aspect of iOS efficiency. IMHO it will need more than 512mb ram to run multitasking smoothly. I find myself running low on memory with iPhone 4 all the time.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by supr2nr View Post
    Listen I'm no Apple fan nor am I no Android fan by any means but your statement is just ridiculous. I have an iPad that I was given for free and I have an Motorola Droid X phone. Stating that there are not as many apps on the android market is just plain ridiculous. 99% of the time the same app that is in the Apple app store is also in the Android Market. The other 1% of the time you will find an app that is in the Android market and not in the Apple app store.

Granted there are not a lot of Tegra based HD apps out yet in the android market aimed directly for the tablets. But that is because until recently there were no Android tablets. Which if I remember correctly iPad had the same issue as well at launch with the iPad 1. People complained about there being no optimized ipad apps available in the app store and then eventually people began to make ipad optimized apps.

The truth of the matter is it comes down to the individuals taste. Do they prefer to have the option of a more customizable user interface such as what Android tablets offer or do they prefer to have the simple UI that iOS offers. You can't set someone free. You can't make someone like something that they don't already like.
    Im not saying there are barely any apps in the Android market, im saying that your not going to find much POLISHED games on the android market than in the app store, im not talking about android tablets but with the whole android market in general. tell me does the android market have any games like INFINITY BLADE? let me answer that for you, NO. And face it, the app store is more user-friendly on finding apps for you and the ones you like, GENIUS anyone? I have nothing against the android market but I do find (now this is my opinion) the app store is slightly better than the market for the reasons I have stated above, and can't you see I was joking with the "being FREE!!" part, I even used the words SPELL and BRAIN, obviously Im stating my opinion and im not saying people have to forced into buying apple stuff, I too hate people saying android is better just because it is, and vise versa, I am on no android or apple side I just go with whats right to me, and right now I feel the ipad is a bit better than all the other tablets(again my opinion. long story short I I was acting like a fanboy in that being free part and the whole reason for my earlier post is to state the app store is better than the android market not that there are no apps in the market.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

iPad 2 killed the competition

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DubbaCTrumpetMSU View Post
    Apple has survived and outsold practically everything since 2007 without Flash. Let that crap die. And pachi1972, if you don't like apple, what the hell are you doing on an apple related forum with an iPhone? GTFO troll. Bring on March 11. Niner--even with the other office type apps like DocumentsToGo?
    not to mention pages

Green Apple
    Thanks

This comparison is skewed in many ways. You need to pick a benchmark model and compare it in that aspect. You cant pick the best qualities of each price point and then stack them against others. Example... the ipad comes in 64 gig versions, however it offers no expansion slots of any kind. This is a big feature for those who are storage hungry.

Network is not a valid comparison point unless you are going to compare actual speeds the device is capable of. The iPad is behind some of the heavy hitting competitors in regards to network speed and there is no option to upgrade to 4G once the network is available on AT&T or Verizon.

Screen: Everyone is thinking it but half the people out there won't say it.. Why no retina display? This alone is a negative IMO.

Rear Camera: Why do you have the ipad rated at 720p for the rear camera but you only list the still megapixels specs of the other devices? Both the iPad and the Xoom for example record in 720p and next firmware update the Xoom is supposed to be able to record 1080i. This is a very important spec left out of all the devices.

Front camera: Seriously who the heck uses VGA quality anymore? Noone looks at a photo and says "Gee.. I wish this could be a little more grainy".

Video output: Don't forget to include that some of these devices do not require you buy an accessory to enable the use of HDMI. Noone likes having to carry a dongle around with them just for the sole use of HDMI output. Any company (not just apple) who does this is just doing it wrong.

Why is there no category for speaker output?

Like someone said previously. It all comes down to how they work. Although one problem is that being an Apple fanboy for so many years people are resistant to change. It's like trying to wipe your rear with your opposite hand, you just don't want to do it. The iPad to me has always felt like a big iphone and nothing more. Sure it allows you to do things with more room but it's still an iPhone at heart. Combine that with the fact that Apple has once again spoon fed us minor upgrades for yet another 800 bucks. Let's not fool ourselves, if you have the money you are getting the 64gig model. These products have right around a 12 month life cycle so myself.. I'll keep my original iPad and wait for the iPad 3 or go with a competitor who offers all the things that apple should have included this round.
    Last edited by squassss; 03-03-2011 at 12:05 PM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squassss For This Useful Post:

rocky5 (03-04-2011), sikdaz (03-03-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hopethemodworx View Post
    The IPAD2 is already behind on the screen resolution and camera for FaceTime and doesn't even have flash;both kinds! I'll skip the ipad and wait for the wifi XOOM. Now more than ever,the IPAD is just an overgrown IPhone 4. 512mb of ram??...come on Apple!

True... But the Xoom is a overgrown mot handheld as well. Have fun with your xoom. I am sure it will work fine. My money for this one goes to the iPad... as far as screen res... really? I don't see too many people noticing a difference. My MBP has a lower res than my i7 sony. However, to the eye my MBP looks better.

People often worry about numbers and size. side by side comparison will be needed with regards to speed and resolution for visual appeal.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    True... But the Xoom is a overgrown mot handheld as well. Have fun with your xoom. I am sure it will work fine. My money for this one goes to the iPad... as far as screen res... really? I don't see too many people noticing a difference. My MBP has a lower res than my i7 sony. However, to the eye my MBP looks better.

People often worry about numbers and size. side by side comparison will be needed with regards to speed and resolution for visual appeal.
    You can clearly see the difference between the Retina display and the iPad display. If Retina wasn't that much better Apple wouldn't tout it as a key selling point.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SwatPac's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xclusiveiphone View Post
    You think too highly on the aspect of iOS efficiency. IMHO it will need more than 512mb ram to run multitasking smoothly. I find myself running low on memory with iPhone 4 all the time.
    You are the only person I have ever heard complain about the iPhone 4 being low on memory. I could run all my apps, and still have ram to spare on my iPhone 4. If you think the iPhone 4 is bad, I would like to see what you would have to say about all the crapdroid devices out there. Trying to use one of those p.o.s phones is a f-ing nightmare!

Thanks

That is EXACTLY why...you see, Apple does not ALWAYS have the best but they are clever when it comes to marketing. I've never used any of the tablets above...I owned an iPad 1st Gen...I've tested the Galaxy Tab but it was the 7" version. I believe the RAM is 512mb, the 1st iPad was 256. I don't really care about the camera's, as i won't use an iPad to take pics, only use it for Facetime. It's all about the OS as stated previously.

agreed...Apple should have taken the time to give us the Gig all other tablets have...hopefully we'll see a 4th quarter upgraded version. After all, it is the year of the handheld :]
    Last edited by bigboyz; 03-03-2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

**** apple. they still dont have flash support.
    imo, id go for the galaxy tab 2 out of the rest.
    if ipad had flash support, maybe the ipad, but they dont.. so fk it