+ Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: End Of The Line for iPhone 3G : No iOS 4.3 Support

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by thetoothfairy I have the 3Gs because I was holding out for the white iPhone 4. Never happened so getting the IPhone 5 when it comes put for
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    I have the 3Gs because I was holding out for the white iPhone 4. Never happened so getting the IPhone 5 when it comes put for sure! They will dump the 3Gs next that's for sure!
    +1

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

3G Users shouldn't be mad, They should upgrade their phone !!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me jonkjon's Avatar
    Thanks

Sorry had to edit......
    Last edited by jonkjon; 03-03-2011 at 11:01 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xwinger View Post
    I think I saw an iPhone 3G in an antique shop

Anyone who still uses one doesn't know what it's like to use a good iPhone
    I'd say that was a pretty snobbish thing to say....but I agree. The 3G was dead after 3.0 in my opinion.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mrdabbas's Avatar
    Thanks

Should have stopped at 3.1.3

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

It's about time they realized you can't speed up that phone. They should've kept that phone on 3.1.2 when it performed the best.

Green Apple
    Thanks

OK, I confess...I'm a cheap bastard. That's the only reason I still have a 3G iPhone. I got it when I was working and it was cool. Now I'm retired and living on a fixed income. I'm at home most of the time and don't need a data plan. Wi-Fi is all I need along with the ability to make calls and text my friends. I cancelled my data plan and just pay $39/month for calling and texting. My 3G has become a "super iPod touch". Same as the Touch, but with the ability to phone and text.

I knew the end was coming for Apple support on the 3G. Mine is running 4.2.1, jailbroken and unlocked. That's fine with me until I win the lottery.

BTW, I'm still using a Mac Quicksilver G4. Works for me!!!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'm really pissed off about this. As a developer I use a 3G to ensure that frame rates on my games are suitable for all devices.

Although the 3G is old and probably going to slip out of circulation eventually I reckon there are a huge number still being used.

Granted I could upgrade to a 3GS or a 4 and keep the old device for testing purposes but why should I?. 4.2.1 runs just fine on the 3G as long as you disable spotlight search on all items...yes compromising one feature for the sake of others shows that the device has probably passed it's best but it's certainly not dead yet in my eyes.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Stop support only after 2 years...
    I guess this is how Apple makes its money.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMatrix View Post
    I'm very displeased. Being in Canada, when I got my iPhone 3G I had to sign a three year contract. I expect apple to support the phone to at least cover the period of my contract. ie. The product should be able to last 3 years from any given day that apple officially sold the phone to correlate with phone contract terms.
    Your beef is with your carrier, not Apple. You should also be kicking yourself for signing a 3-year contract. Apple doesn't dictate contract terms at all so that's on your carrier and you, not Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_junkie View Post
    @jdm.accord OUCH!....Why so much hostility towards us 3G users? I agree 100% with you about being realistic with a 3 year old phone, but dude, cut us some slack. Not all of us can dish out the $$$ for every upgrade that comes out. I've pushed my 3G out to the max to get my money's worth out of it and I'm pushing it another, what, another 3-4 months until the iPhone 5 comes out.

Now, as far as any further support for 3G on any newer iOS......no need for it!! I'll take the support for as long as I can, but if Apple feels like their iOS isn't gonna run efficiently on the older hardware, so be it.
    I'm hostile towards people who are mad at Apple for not keeping every device updated with the newest OS. If you're not upset about it, no hostility here

To the people who are upset, I'm saying if BB or Android treat you better, STFU and get one of their (crappy, cheap, and user-hostile) devices. Problem solved!

"ZOMG Apple didn't give me firmware 4.3 for my 2001 iPod WTFOMGHI2UROFLBBQ?!?!??!!!!!"
    Last edited by jdm.accord; 03-03-2011 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdm.accord View Post
    "ZOMG Apple didn't give me firmware 4.3 for my 2001 iPod WTFOMGHI2UROFLBBQ?!?!??!!!!!"
    A more proper reactiou would be "ZOMG Apple didn't give me firmware 4.3 for my iPhone 3G that I purchased WITHIN THE PAST YEAR."

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wow.

What a bunch of haters and fanboys here in this thread, telling me what I should and shouldn't do with my phone.

I'm pissed at Apple, not because they are stopping support of my phone, but because their motivation to do so is purely financial.

Contrary to what many of you are saying, it certainly wouldn't be a huge task to bring *some* of those features to the 3G. Let's look at the evidence:

-The OS is modular. Parts of it can be enabled or disabled - look how easy it is to enable multitasking and wallpapers on a 3G.
    -As many of you have stated, iOS should probably have stopped before 4.x on a 3G - yet *it didn't*. It still got the update, minus some missing features, so all the 3G users could see what they were missing out on and be "reminded" to buy a new phone. A lot of users (the ones who don't spend their life on the internet looking at tech news) may not have found enough reasons to upgrade to a new phone without this teasing.
    -To pick an example, Apple's wallpaper implementation is deliberately resource-hogging. How difficult would it have been to make a separate mode which simply adds a PNG wallpaper to the 3G instead of all the fancy shadows? Not very. Why did they do this? Again, to force customers to realise that their phone was "too old". If we'd all been left on 3.1.3, we'd probably be a lot happier with our 3G's.

Now before all you haters jump on me, I'm *not* saying I expect all these updates for free. I'm saying that Apple deliberately drop support of these phones to force people to buy the newer models; they certainly could keep supporting the 3G, with some really very minor OS tweaks, but they're choosing not to. That's their choice, but I'm allowed my opinion on that, surely?

In other words, it's not done for the benefit of us 3G users; it's done for the benefit of Apple's vaults of gold.

But never mind - my contract is due an upgrade in exactly two weeks - I'm going to pick me up a brand spanking new iPho--erm, HTC HD7...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shinygerbil View Post
    I'm pissed at Apple, not because they are stopping support of my phone, but because their motivation to do so is purely financial.
    Oh Noes!!!!! A company wants to make money oh noes!!!!!!!! That's full-fledged capitalism!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    A more proper reactiou would be "ZOMG Apple didn't give me firmware 4.3 for my iPhone 3G that I purchased WITHIN THE PAST YEAR."
    Shame on you for buying a phone within the last year that is nearly 3 year old technology and expecting the same perks as if you had bought 2 year old tech (3GS) or newest tech (iP4). Much to learn you still have.

Give me an example of a cell phone OS that give the newest firmware to its 3 year old devices. I won't hold my breath......
    Last edited by jdm.accord; 03-03-2011 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Spelling

Thanks

Oh Noes!!!!! A company wants to make money oh noes!!!!!!!! That's full-fledged capitalism!!!!!

Shame on you for buying a phone within the last year that is nearly 3 year old technology and expecting the same perks as if you had bought 2 year old tech (3GS) or newest tech (iP4). Much to learn you still have.

Give me an example of a cell phone OS that give the newest firmware to its 3 year old devices. I won't hold my breath......
    In April and May of last year they had the iPhone 3G on sale. The iPhone 4 had not even been officially announced. Even then, the technology was less than two years old!. Yet you blame the consumer? Wow...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by godfred212 View Post
    We all know iphone 4 will be dropped too some day
    Oh wow!

No way!

Are you a genius?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

to be honest you guys always complain its slow bla bla bla etc etc
    ios4 works on my ipod touch 2g mb models no lags even if its jailbroken i dont notice the lags but its you guys fault that apple dropping it down for device such as ipod touch 2g mb or mc or the iphone 3g

anyways im getting the ipad 2 probaly you might see me in the line at london apple store

great for apple
    Last edited by donozo; 03-03-2011 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    In April and May of last year they had the iPhone 3G on sale. The iPhone 4 had not even been officially announced. Even then, the technology was less than two years old!. Yet you blame the consumer? Wow...
    I was joking lol. I'm not blaming the consumer. I just don't think you have a bone to pick with Apple because they dropped support for a nearly 3-year old phone. Seriously, what phone would be getting an OS update that's even 2 years old from any other company? Apple spoils us and when they finally pull the plug, everyone whines about it.

My example of the iPod was an exaggeration but you know people would still complain if 10 years from now, Apple dropped 3G firmware updates. There will always be complainers no matter what. And apple is far better than any brand at updating its old products so I think people should be appreciative.

Thanks

Will this work on ipod touch 2g because it's pretty much the same as 3rd generation

Thanks

I was joking lol. I'm not blaming the consumer. I just don't think you have a bone to pick with Apple because they dropped support for a nearly 3-year old phone. Seriously, what phone would be getting an OS update that's even 2 years old from any other company? Apple spoils us and when they finally pull the plug, everyone whines about it.

My example of the iPod was an exaggeration but you know people would still complain if 10 years from now, Apple dropped 3G firmware updates. There will always be complainers no matter what. And apple is far better than any brand at updating its old products so I think people should be appreciative.
    just wait til lion comes out this summer and no longer has powerpc support... but even there they maintained it for 4-5 years.

with android and the other platforms, they are so damn splintered it's virtually impossible to maintain support. however, on iOS is basically identical coding for all 3 phones (save for the retina n such). As another person mentioned in this thread, it essentially comes down to them just having to disable certain featuers in the os.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Complaining about a old high end phone not getting support and not being able to afford a new one ?!?!? That's like hearing someone complain about their old Lamborghini to the average person.

If u can't afford a high end product quit complaining. People want product from that class yet don't know how conduct themselves.