+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon to Drop Unlimited Data Plans for iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
In a move that many feared would come true sooner rather than later, Verizon Chief Financial Officer Francis Shammo suggested on Tuesday at an investors conference that Verizon will soon
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Verizon to Drop Unlimited Data Plans for iPhone

In a move that many feared would come true sooner rather than later, Verizon Chief Financial Officer Francis Shammo suggested on Tuesday at an investors conference that Verizon will soon end unlimited data plans for its recently acquired iPhone. The demise of unlimited plans may transpire as soon as this summer.

Verizon Wireless allows unlimited Web-surfing for $30 a month for users of its version of the popular Apple phone. But this will change in the coming months.
    Released just weeks ago on the Verizon network, the iPhone, Shammo says, simply had to be introduced with an unlimited data plan on the table. Why? Because Verizon "didn't want to put up a barrier" to potential iPhone buyers interested in coverage from Verizon. Shammo's comments, naturally, are being taken to mean that unlimited plans will end with the introduction of the iPhone 5, a fifth generation product that will certainly come with a CDMA version.

Following Shammo's remarks, Credit Suisse analyst Jonathan Chaplin told Reuters that "I would take that comment as a pretty strong signal there's an iPhone refresh coming to Verizon in the third quarter." Chaplin, however, says investors may be rightfully apprehensive at this point with regard to another iPhone release, especially since many customers would likely be upset that their new Verizon iPhone will be "out of date" only months after its debut. "You'd be worried there'd be a backlash from consumers. What they don't want is for Verizon to be put in a position where its forced to offer free trade-ins," Chaplin says. "There's some risk of that."

Source: Reuters

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (03-02-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Haha I was waiting for this to happen!!

Take that all you verizon iPhone ppl. And for all those who left AT&T for verizon for the same reason take that as well...

What a scam seriously. Offer unlimited plans just to get more ppl to buy a verizon iPhone then once you get a good hand full remove that feature!!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zeroskater61 For This Useful Post:

JHH09 (03-02-2011), reanimationxp (03-05-2011), reaves205 (03-02-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Haha that did'nt take long!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Yes I was expecting this, but hopefully they allow people who took this opportunity to get unlimited to be grandfathered in.

I need unlimited which is why I switched. I tether and need Internet for schoolwork where I don't get wifi bc I'm hardly at home.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Knew Verizon is gonna take it away... just a matter of weeks... Bring on the fanboys...

Thanks

lol this is the funniest thing I've seen in a while...it's like they offered unlimited data to get people to switch over to their network, and then in a matter of weeks they're just going to get rid of unlimited data for the iPhone. Hahahaha. If those who switched to Verizon aren't grandfathered in for unlimited data that would suck for them.

Thanks

LMMFGDAO!! they got screwed over!!! BIG TIME!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    Haha I was waiting for this to happen!!

Take that all you verizon iPhone ppl. And for all those who left AT&T for verizon for the same reason take that as well...

What a scam seriously. Offer unlimited plans just to get more ppl to buy a verizon iPhone then once you get a good hand full remove that feature!!
    "Take That" Seriously?

Scam? Didn't AT&T offer unlimited, then yank it away as well?

I never had one problem with AT&T, I loved them. Worked for them for 5 years. They just didn't have a tower close to my house, Verizon did. Verizon also had 3G coverage in the towns I regularly go to, AT&T didn't. They don't plan to for another year either.

You do realize the people that left had their reasons, mostly coverage in my case. Not everyone is a carrier fanboy hating on the other. Some people just don't realize that sometimes one carrier may do better for some than others depending on location, etc. Why does everyone have to pin it on ahwmagawd I'm going to the other playground cause they're cooler!!

Plus, those that already signed up and have the unlimited are going to be grandfathered in. If they're not, then they'll have the right to end their contract with no term fees. Then they can go anywhere they want.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rimshak For This Useful Post:

Crafty42 (03-02-2011), OvMeyb (03-20-2011), quidam_brujah (03-02-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone andrewb283's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CX3NT3_713 View Post
    LMMFGDAO!! they got screwed over!!! BIG TIME!!
    Well not if they get grandfathered into an unlimited data plan. I'm on AT&T grandfathered in with an unlimited plan and MyWi. Couldn't be happier . So the people that switched, I'm assuming, will also get grandfathered in. Bottom line, no, their not screwed.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to andrewb283 For This Useful Post:

quidam_brujah (03-02-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb283 View Post
    Well not if they get grandfathered into an unlimited data plan. I'm on AT&T grandfathered in with an unlimited plan and MyWi. Couldn't be happier . So the people that switched, I'm assuming, will also get grandfathered in. Bottom line, no, their not screwed.
    Well yea?? It's probably only, for new contracts,, and yea, I'm too with AT&T unlimited data plan + MyWi = I'm keeping it like that!!!!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Only one word to say: superg@y

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Verizon probably hustling those that are skeptic about Verizon service to switch now to lock in the Unlimited Data.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rashad1's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by delusion950 View Post
    Verizon probably hustling those that are skeptic about Verizon service to switch now to lock in the Unlimited Data.
    True, they are only looking to increase iPhone sales after not meeting expectations, even though they broke the first week iPhone sales record.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rimshak View Post
    Scam? Didn't AT&T offer unlimited, then yank it away as well?
    I remember been taken away after three years not in a matter of months.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ghostroke For This Useful Post:

KBI2113 (03-02-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So to summarize, in a few weeks the American population will be once again screwed over for the iPhone by the phone companies? They will either be able to pay out the rear for the service on AT&T and get limited internet and no tethering. Pay a more decent amount on Verizon for a phone that will not work on GSM networks and get limited internet with no simultaneous voice and data. Or jailbreak their phone and use it on T-mobile with an unlimited plan but on EDGE.

If that isn't screwed than I don't know what is. Anyone who doesn't agree that limited internet is a scam obviously doesn't understand the basics behind it.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ("\(.:...:.)/")~RaWr For This Useful Post:

TheReliq (03-01-2011)

Thanks

Well, even if I lose my unlimited data, at least I'll still have my good coverage. It's all about area and apparently mine doesn't do AT&T. Verizon is very dominant in my area, but I'm still hoping to get grandfathered in since I got in in time for unlimited data.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Well hopefully they will grandfather people in

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    True, they are only looking to increase iPhone sales after not meeting expectations, even though they broke the first week iPhone sales record.
    Of course, I myself would not switch to Verizon to end up with a soon-to-be-outdated phone that cannot be resold to other GSM users on ebay, uses CDMA technology and cannot give me simultaneous voice and data. So why would I expect anyone else to do so in a "mass migration to Verizon" sort of way? Only the people that have severe signal issues, or are absolutely fed up with att switched; and even that number was alarmingly high.

And now to top it off, they are debating the restriction of the only good thing they had going for them: Unlimited Internet. Quite a business plan they have.

------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    Well hopefully they will grandfather people in
    I agree, that would be the least the company could do in such a case. But it does not help the American population at all to stick to the "I achieved my goal by getting here first, now i forever have my prize.. too bad for all the rest of you" mentality.
    Last edited by ("\(.:...:.)/")~RaWr; 03-01-2011 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Verizon nonesense.

Thanks

It was too bad for me on AT&T so I'm on both sides. I sacrifices $500 to go to Verizon bc the amount I pay a year additional with my overages in data costs more than $500 a year.

So if you can get your foot in the door quick the second time around, it isn't so much "yay unlimited for me forever and none for you!" but moreso "thank goodness I had this second opportunity."

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

I think everyone knew this was going to happen !!!

Correct me if I'm wrong but at least ours lasted until the 3GS !!!

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast