+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Apple Looking at Cheaper iPhones, Prepaid Plans

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I suspect a lot of their "rich" customers would move to another premium brand. If Coach or Louis Vuitton started making handbags for 100$, do you think they would be
...
  1. #21
    iPhoneaholic indyzzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    355
    Thanks
    6,739
    Thanked 512 Times in 170 Posts

    I suspect a lot of their "rich" customers would move to another premium brand. If Coach or Louis Vuitton started making handbags for 100$, do you think they would be able to command 900-2000$ or more for their "premium" handbags. I dont think so. There are a lot of "rich" folks who buy these bags just because they are so pricey :lol:

  2. #22
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    98
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by indyzzzz View Post
    I suspect a lot of their "rich" customers would move to another premium brand. If Coach or Louis Vuitton started making handbags for 100$, do you think they would be able to command 900-2000$ or more for their "premium" handbags. I dont think so. There are a lot of "rich" folks who buy these bags just because they are so pricey :lol:
    Well, that's fashion. Fashion always oversell. Some can argue that having an iphone is "fashionable," but when it comes to tech, specs are the premium. There are those few that would buy Apple products simply because they believe it is the premium but in fact are weaker in many aspects compared to other similar products (minus the iphone, ipad and ipod touch). I would never buy an iphone simply because it feels more exclusive and fashionable. I always want great tech and there is no competition that is anywhere close to what the iphone offers. But when it comes to computers and such, I avoid apple at all cost mainly because of their ridiculous pricing.

  3. #23
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    240
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 26 Times in 24 Posts

    I highly doubt Apple is going to go cheaper than $200 for a subsidized iPhone, or less than $700 no-contract. It would be counter-productive. iPhone Sales are great, there is no reason.

    I buy iPhones for a couple of reasons, mainly the reliability and the warranty. It also has the best UI in my opinion.

    Most problems I've had with iPhones are related to unlock software. My iPhone has been more reliable than any phone I've ever owned.

    When almost every other phone breaks, or has an issue, you have to mail it back and wait for a new one. Its a helluva lot more convenient to walk into an Apple Store and have it replaced or repaired on the spot. Also, that is where some price comes into play. Apple has retail stores, and offering warranty support in the store (Genius Salaries) isn't free to Apple or anyone. This is one reason why Macs and iPhones are a higher price compared to a Compaq or a HTC device.

  4. #24
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    If they would offer the iPhone to all carriers in the US then that would increase their market share. Also if they don't want their phones to be "just for the rich" then they should put them on other carriers that offer cheaper plans other than just AT&T and Verizon.
    Funny seeing as all carriers in UK have the iPhone!

  5. #25
    iPhoneaholic quidam_brujah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    469
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 37 Times in 28 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by indyzzzz View Post
    I suspect a lot of their "rich" customers would move to another premium brand. If Coach or Louis Vuitton started making handbags for 100$, do you think they would be able to command 900-2000$ or more for their "premium" handbags. I dont think so. There are a lot of "rich" folks who buy these bags just because they are so pricey :lol:
    You've not heard of the Mercedes C-class, or the BMW 1-series, or that Coach has outlet stores?

    The US has a love affair with this Cinderella idea: the Everyman is just a few (never) reachable steps away from making it into the top 10% of the upper income reaches. Business spends A LOT of money trying to convince people of this (as does the 10%; see 'US estate tax' which has an exemption for the first $5 million) and marketing brand names in tiers so just about everyone can afford to buy some brand-name trinket and associate themselves with the upper crust.

    I loved that joke about the one-button iphone that you can shake to make random fone calls.

  6. #26
    iPhoneaholic indyzzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    355
    Thanks
    6,739
    Thanked 512 Times in 170 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
    You've not heard of the Mercedes C-class, or the BMW 1-series, or that Coach has outlet stores?

    The US has a love affair with this Cinderella idea: the Everyman is just a few (never) reachable steps away from making it into the top 10% of the upper income reaches. Business spends A LOT of money trying to convince people of this (as does the 10%; see 'US estate tax' which has an exemption for the first $5 million) and marketing brand names in tiers so just about everyone can afford to buy some brand-name trinket and associate themselves with the upper crust.

    I loved that joke about the one-button iphone that you can shake to make random fone calls.

    lol, the c-class and the 1 series are the wannabe rich, I agree that marketing has made these cars appealing to a lot of folks.
    If you are really rich, you get a maserati or an Aston or a 911 turbo or maybe an S-class AMG or the CL-class AMG, not a wannabe merc or bmw . Im jesting of course .

  7. #27
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    490
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 39 Times in 31 Posts

    The C-class and 1-series aren't really the "poor mans BMW/Mercedes" as they are still difficult to afford considering they are upwards of 30k starting price. That isn't really "affordable" to the average person with a wife and 2 kids that could spend less than 30k on something like a honda odyssey and still have money left over for other stuff.

    The higher up you go in brand, the less you'll usually get for your money in terms of value. Yes you will get some nice features but you're paying more for that ipod adapter in your mercedes than you would have paid for that ipod adapter in your honda.

    That being said, the iphone at $200 plus contract is right where everyone else is in terms of pricing and even if they made it $100 or $150 that isn't a huge step to come up with another 100 bucks if you think about it in terms of 12 or 24 months. If you can't afford $200 for an iphone then you probably shouldn't even be spending $100 for a nice one and instead should be using the free phone that the carriers offer now.

    Quote Originally Posted by indyzzzz View Post
    lol, the c-class and the 1 series are the wannabe rich, I agree that marketing has made these cars appealing to a lot of folks.
    If you are really rich, you get a maserati or an Aston or a 911 turbo or maybe an S-class AMG or the CL-class AMG, not a wannabe merc or bmw . Im jesting of course .
    I disagree. Those 2 aren't for the wannabe rich, they're for the "i have 30k or so to spend and i can get a loaded honda accord with every feature I could possibly hope for or i can get a close to stripped C-class/1-series and i'll choose the bmw/merc just because of the name knowing full well people will point and laugh that i bought the cheapest one they offer."

    The "wannabe rich" are the ones that buy a 4 or 5 year old bmw/merc and then act like they are the **** because they can't afford ANYTHING decent that is new even a honda/toyota.
    Last edited by alexevo; 03-03-2011 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  8. #28
    iPhoneaholic indyzzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    355
    Thanks
    6,739
    Thanked 512 Times in 170 Posts

    Well, we differ in our opinion of "wannabe rich". I see my friends and a lot of people around me, as soon as they get a well paying job or come into some money, they buy a C-Class merc or a BMW 328. Thats wannabe rich IMHO. Instead of saving their money, they want to live the "rich" lifestyle and sooner or later get into trouble with bills. They arent really rich, they just feel rich or feel they deserve it. Most of them are very insecure about themselves too. they dont say it, but it shows in their actions and decisions.

    Contrast that with a couple of really rich guys I know, one drives a 5 year old caddy escalade that he bought used, and the other has an Infiniti G37 leased . Sure, they could afford an M3 or a Ferrari, but they dont really care. They have the money, there is no reason for them to be ostentatious, they are secure in themselves. I asked the guy who got the G37, why he didnt just splurge and get the M3 or at least a BMW 335i. His response was "Why pay an extra 8 grand for a 335i when I have similar performance and a better/modern interior with the G37. I got it because it was fun to drive, not to show how big my **** is."

    Edited to add : Ive noticed that the really rich people have a very different attitude towards life. They are not all about living in the moment.

    And like the person below says, they are very smart about how they spend their money, thats how they got rich.
    Last edited by indyzzzz; 03-03-2011 at 10:39 PM.

  9. #29
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    398
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
    I disagree. Those 2 aren't for the wannabe rich, they're for the "i have 30k or so to spend and i can get a loaded honda accord with every feature I could possibly hope for or i can get a close to stripped C-class/1-series and i'll choose the bmw/merc just because of the name knowing full well people will point and laugh that i bought the cheapest one they offer."

    The "wannabe rich" are the ones that buy a 4 or 5 year old bmw/merc and then act like they are the **** because they can't afford ANYTHING decent that is new even a honda/toyota.
    You are so far off base, it isn't even funny. I have a 2002 Saab 9-5, loaded; with a 3.0 litre 6-cylinder, turbo, 5-speed auto transmission, and flawless body.

    I could have bought a Ford Focus for $20,000; or, a KIA pile for $13,000. Instead, I bought a very reliable car that was 6 years old, and had everything I wanted, for $10,000.

    Why drive crap, when you can drive quality for less money?

    Truly "rich" people are smart. They would never throw a car away after 4 years, it's a waste. I bought used, and walked away with equity in my car, rather than a loss; you can't do this with a new car, or a used junker.

    Also, you'll get a much better value if you shop for a car properly:

    Negotiate
    Test drive
    Negotiate more
    Leave
    Come back
    Negotiate
    THEN BUY.

    This also works at pawn stores, and any place that sells on consignment. Their job is to keep you from leaving, so once you do come back, you'll get the absolute lowest price they can give and still profit. If you buy at sticker price, you're throwing money away.

    Yes, I drive a premium car. Yes I love it. Yes it gets me attention. NO I didn't have to pay out my rear to get it.

    Anyone driving a BMW 1 series is lost. They're paying for a Chevy Cobalt (quality-wise) with a BMW logo, just to say they have a Beamer. They are the ones who are compensating.



    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

  10. #30
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    490
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 39 Times in 31 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
    You are so far off base, it isn't even funny. I have a 2002 Saab 9-5, loaded; with a 3.0 litre 6-cylinder, turbo, 5-speed auto transmission, and flawless body.

    I could have bought a Ford Focus for $20,000; or, a KIA pile for $13,000. Instead, I bought a very reliable car that was 6 years old, and had everything I wanted, for $10,000.

    Why drive crap, when you can drive quality for less money?

    Truly "rich" people are smart. They would never throw a car away after 4 years, it's a waste. I bought used, and walked away with equity in my car, rather than a loss; you can't do this with a new car, or a used junker.

    Also, you'll get a much better value if you shop for a car properly:

    Negotiate
    Test drive
    Negotiate more
    Leave
    Come back
    Negotiate
    THEN BUY.

    This also works at pawn stores, and any place that sells on consignment. Their job is to keep you from leaving, so once you do come back, you'll get the absolute lowest price they can give and still profit. If you buy at sticker price, you're throwing money away.

    Yes, I drive a premium car. Yes I love it. Yes it gets me attention. NO I didn't have to pay out my rear to get it.

    Anyone driving a BMW 1 series is lost. They're paying for a Chevy Cobalt (quality-wise) with a BMW logo, just to say they have a Beamer. They are the ones who are compensating.



    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Wtf? isn't that what i just said. that for the price of a c-class or 1-series you can get a non-bmw or non-mercedes that has everything you could want and will likely cost you less to own in the long run.

    for reference my buddy and i make about the same amount of money (we both work partially on commission so one year i make a couple grand more the next year he makes a couple grand more) and i have an 06 evo and a 04 4runner which doesn't scream "rich" obviously but i own a house in one of the nicest parts of orange county which is where i put my money since it will keep it's value. he has an 06 cayenne turbo, 08 650ci, and his chick drives an 06 m3...he lives in an apartment. different priorities and chances are my cars will outlast his and be cheaper to keep overall. nuff sed.

    edit: i bought both my cars when they were 2 years old and had less than 15k miles on them. note: he bought his used also and got good deals on them since i negotiated the sales but i still feel that it was a waste of money. plus i don't have a gf/wife so my disposable income is easily 3 times his haha.

    edit 2: i see what you meant about being far off. when i was referencing buying a 4-5 year old bmw/mercedes to show off i wasn't talking about the value just the principle behind the purchase. plus those cars after 4 or 5 years are usually trashed anyway thanks to maintenance programs that change the oil every 15k miles and pretty much encourage you to beat up your car for 5 years and then dump it for another one. comparatively speaking since i know cars very well a turbo saab wasn't the best choice when it comes to reliability in the 100k mile + range but it is certainly light years smarter than buying a bmw/mercedes with similar miles on it.
    Last edited by alexevo; 03-05-2011 at 09:50 PM.

  11. #31
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Cars are not a good analogy for mobile phones and there pricing.... Please move on!

  12. #32
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    398
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
    edit 2: i see what you meant about being far off. when i was referencing buying a 4-5 year old bmw/mercedes to show off i wasn't talking about the value just the principle behind the purchase. plus those cars after 4 or 5 years are usually trashed anyway thanks to maintenance programs that change the oil every 15k miles and pretty much encourage you to beat up your car for 5 years and then dump it for another one. comparatively speaking since i know cars very well a turbo saab wasn't the best choice when it comes to reliability in the 100k mile + range but it is certainly light years smarter than buying a bmw/mercedes with similar miles on it.
    I bought it because I knew I would love it, and the cost of ownership would be low, in comparison with a "Chevy" class car of the same age.

    I have had it for three years now, and only had one repair (ignition coil, on the back 3 cylinders.) It cost $375. It now has 105,000 miles on it, and still sounds brand new.

    My brother bought a Ford F-150, which was 2 years newer, a year before I bought my car. He has put over $4,000 in, just for repairs, not including standard maintenance.

    Saabs are, typically, very reliable; but you have to take care of them. The turbo models usually have a lower rating, because most people don't know how to care for a turbo-charged engine.


    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

  13. #33
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    398
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
    I read where AT&T pays Apple a (Kickback) amount every month for every Iphone customer on Contract.

    To the other posters....................
    WTH does cars have to do with a cheaper Iphone and all carriers?
    I'm sorry if the concept was lost on you. The moral of the story is; "it's not what you buy, but how you buy it."

    I was responding to others who brought cars up, and correcting some flawed logic, and reasoning.


    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts