+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PowerPC Killed By Lion

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Among all the new features and functionalities found in the Developer Preview of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, it's interesting to see what is missing. Lion has no preinstalled Java
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default PowerPC Killed By Lion

Among all the new features and functionalities found in the Developer Preview of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, it's interesting to see what is missing. Lion has no preinstalled Java runtime, in line with Apple's stated plan to cease support of Java on the Mac. And Rosetta - Apple's code translator for running PowerPC applications on Intel processors - is nowhere to be found on Lion, marking the end of support for the PowerPC-based Macintoshes the company built from 1994 to 2006.

Apple is unique among mainstream computer makers in that it's changed the processor family its products are based on three times through the years. They went from the MOS 6502 that powered the original Apple I and the Apple II line to the Motorola 68000 processor when the Macintosh was introduced in 1984. The 680x0 family (the original 68000 and the successor 68020, 68030 and 68040 processors) had a good run with the company but was replaced by the PowerPC ten years later with the introduction of the Power Macintosh 6100, 7100, and 8100 in March 1994. For the next twelve years, Apple released PowerPC Macs in large numbers, particularly in schools. When Steve Jobs returned to the company in 1997, he led the design effort that led to the PowerPC G3-based "candy-colored" iMac, making Apple profitable again for the first time in years. Finally, over eight months in 2006, Apple switched every computer in its line to the Intel Core family of processors.

In order to make the new Macs compatible with all the software that was out there, Apple released the Rosetta program, which intercepts PowerPC code and runs it in an emulator. Unlike the earlier 680x0 emulator - which ran at the kernel level and could literally intercept PowerPC interrupts and run them in emulation as 68k interrupts - Rosetta is a userland app, and limited in its ability to handle things like PowerPC kexts and Java applets. As a result, many developers released their programs as Universal Binaries, containing PowerPC and Intel code in the same bundle. As the need for Rosetta dwindled, Apple removed it from the default install on Snow Leopard, which is the first Mac OS X version that runs only on Intel processors. The Mac App Store is Intel-only as well, and now Rosetta has been removed from the Developer Preview of Mac OS X. Apple even deleted its Rosetta page from the website.

When Lion is released this year, then, it will mean that the last vestige of Apple's PowerPC past will be dead and buried. People hanging on to their aging PowerPC-only software will be stuck with Snow Leopard, much as existing Power Mac and PowerBook users can't upgrade past Leopard. After five years, Apple's transition to the x86 architecture that powers most of the world's computers is complete.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

iphonerik13 (02-27-2011), jcbhome (02-28-2011)

Banned
    Thanks

NO MORE JAVA?????? Java powers every applet on the web!!! This is a huge disappointment, I hope you will be able to get Java off the Internet or on a different browser.

Btw, nice article, Paul. This is very interesting stuff. Good work!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

wow you really did your research nice article

Thanks
    Well my Macbooks heats up every time i try to load a Java or a flash web contenet, especially games etc...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Java is installed as a System Update after the install of the Preview it's just not included out of the box - however all my Java based app's run as expected in Lion

Plus Apple has a Disk Image posted online for people testing 10.7

The first time you try to run a JAVA Web App the OS prompts you to download the following.

Last edited by mburlingame; 02-27-2011 at 10:25 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hope they keep java running because my fav app Minecraft is powered by Java

Thanks

If you recall, Apple announced that they would no longer be preinstalling and supporting Java on mac and will be leaving that up to Oracle. It will be better for users in the end.

Twitter: @tshoults

h2a
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Java installs as a system update the moment you try to run something that needs it. No need for panic here. It's all good.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mburlingame View Post
    Java is installed as a System Update after the install of the Preview it's just not included out of the box - however all my Java based app's run as expected in Lion

Plus Apple has a Disk Image posted online for people testing 10.7

The first time you try to run a JAVA Web App the OS prompts you to download the following.

Thanks for the info!!! Huge help!!!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h2a View Post
    Java installs as a system update the moment you try to run something that needs it. No need for panic here. It's all good.
    Thank you as well.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    If you recall, Apple announced that they would no longer be preinstalling and supporting Java on mac and will be leaving that up to Oracle. It will be better for users in the end.
    Could someone plz tell me what Oracle is?

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Java will be there if you want it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJailbreakGenius View Post
    You can read all about the SUN / Oracle merger at the following link

Oracle Buys Sun

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Java is a lot harder to do without than Flash is. You'll be able to use it, I'm sure.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    What the hell are Apple thinking. Even Xcode won't start on Lion without the Java Runtime installed.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Apple locked power PC out with Leopard. 10.4 was the latest OS you could put on power PC unless you did a magical dance with a little top hat and entered a wad of code through terminal to make the Leo disk load. 10.6 would not load at all under ANY circumstance so even if you want to say 10.5 was loadable under special condition, 10.6 was not at all. Power PC was dead at 10.5
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks
    Thanked 14,806 Times in 6,884 Posts

Paul mentioned that at the bottom of the article. He was just saying powerpc applications won't be supported anymore either.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Good article. I am running Lion beta and have installed java. No problems in fact it runs cooler than the preinstalled on SL.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheJailbreakGenius View Post
    As moon#pie explained, Java is originally developed by Sun Microsystems. Oracle, an organization that develops open-source applications such as VirtualBox (although that was originally developed by Sun Microsystems) and OpenOffice.org, bought Sun Microsystems.

I thought PowerPC died in Mac OS X 10.5. I guess it must be the support that was living.

And why is this news in the iPhone News section?
    Last edited by awesomeSlayer; 02-27-2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!