Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Consumer Reports 'Lab Tests' Find Death Grip in Verizon iPhone

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Consumer Reports 'Lab Tests' Find Death Grip in Verizon iPhone

Our friends at Consumer Reports are at it again. On Friday, the venerable consumer advocate publication took aim at the Verizon iPhone. As with its "lab tests" that similarly prompted the magazine to withdraw its recommendation of the iPhone 4 at the height of Antennagate, the publication is once again slamming the popular Apple smartphone. This time, the Verizon iPhone is the target.

The Verizon iPhone 4 has a problem that could cause the phone to drop calls, or be unable to place calls, in weak signal conditions, Consumer Reports engineers have found in lab tests.
    Essentially hearkening back to claims that the iPhone 4 suffers from the "death grip" phenomenon, Consumer Reports wants readers to know that the CDMA Verizon iPhone has the same problem. "When we placed the Verizon iPhone 4 into the Apple iPhone 4 Bumper," the report noted, "the problem was essentially eliminated, as it was in our original tests of the AT&T iPhone, when it was placed into a Bumper."

Ultimately, however, it seems that Consumer Reports has achieved little other than to draw criticism toward its own credibility. As millions of satisfied AT&T and Verizon customers can arrest, the iPhone 4 is not a fatally flawed device undeserving of recommendation. While yours truly won't go as far as to question the integrity of the report and their underlying "tests," some Apple fans - notwithstanding their obvious bias - believe editors at Consumer Reports enjoyed the global attention their publication received last year in the wake of Antennagate. And while Consumer Reports may truly believe that their non-recommendation of the iPhone 4 is warranted, they all but certainly also love the attention they receive when the "Death Grip" is discussed in their publications.

Consumer Reports
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 02-26-2011 at 03:05 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

turkey26 (02-27-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Leave it to Consumer Reports (the iPhone Haters) to find this. Can't this rumor be squashed already? Doesn't every phone have this vulnerability to some extent?

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    Leave it to Consumer Reports (the iPhone Haters) to find this. Can't this rumor be squashed already? Doesn't every phone have this vulnerability to some extent?
    Fan boy bs. The iPhone 4 has a problem. Most phones don't have external antennas that you grab while on the phone and thus do not have this problem. Is big problem ? I say no. But let's be honest it is a problem.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nicrfe For This Useful Post:

DaMan05 (02-26-2011), DRFP (02-26-2011), punjabi212 (02-26-2011), skj8100 (02-27-2011)

Ummmm hello same damn phone just different network. Yah a few things were swapped around for the device to work on verizon but it wasn't ment to make the issue go away.

Am in AT&T by the way.

mike from consumer reports has an iphone 4

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyone head back to YouTube to listen to songadayman's vid about CR and iPhone 4? ... That was a great video...

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nicrfe View Post
    Fan boy bs. The iPhone 4 has a problem. Most phones don't have external antennas that you grab while on the phone and thus do not have this problem. Is big problem ? I say no. But let's be honest it is a problem.
    Every major smart phone in existence suffers antennagate to some extent when held directly in-hand versus a case. Thousands of tests back this data up. Google it. Find out for yourself. Don't just take anybody's word for it: the search box on your browser is like 500 pixels away. Seriously.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

mike needs a new hair piece

Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
    Every major smart phone in existence suffers antennagate to some extent when held directly in-hand versus a case. Thousands of tests back this data up. Google it. Find out for yourself. Don't just take anybody's word for it: the search box on your browser is like 500 pixels away. Seriously.
    The issue with the iPhone is way different then with any other phone. I show people every time this comes up. Short the 2 antennas on the sides of the phone with the part along the bottom using your hand or copper wire. Every time on every iPhone 4 if I get good contact with the copper the signal is lost. Go to google and find one other phone that is like that. But like you say don't just take anyones word for it. Go try it yourself.

You can't compare signal attenuation as it passes through your hands on other phones to the iPhone antennas literally shorting out when you hold it.

It's just the nature of having an exposed antenna that you touch all the time.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default The Antennae isn't a real life issue
    I've had to Iphone 4's since release and this antennae crap is a load of steaming hype. If Consumer Reports really tested the iphone 4 they would know that the PROXIMITY SENSOR is the major issue with it. Its responsible for my DROPPED CALLS (hang-ups... im always using wired headphones or a bluetooth.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mhtruth For This Useful Post:

Mainevent94 (02-26-2011)

AntennaGate II, starring same phone, different provider! With the same over kill reports!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Who cares? I got iPhone 4 n im happy. Stop talking crap and go vibrate your phone

Quote Originally Posted by mhtruth View Post
    I've had to Iphone 4's since release and this antennae crap is a load of steaming hype. If Consumer Reports really tested the iphone 4 they would know that the PROXIMITY SENSOR is the major issue with it. Its responsible for my DROPPED CALLS (hang-ups... im always using wired headphones or a bluetooth.
    I'm with you on the proximity sensor. That is the biggest issue for me.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nicrfe For This Useful Post:

mhtruth (02-26-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nicrfe View Post
    Why is that "fan boy bs"? Other smartphones have the same issue not just the iPhone. We know its a problem already so who freakin cares that CR is saying that the Verizon iPhone has it?? It's out already, nothing you can do about it...move on.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Not again with this bs please....
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

F*** what consumer reports says, i never have problems and i never use a bumper..

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to iNT3Rv3NTiONZz For This Useful Post:

mhtruth (02-26-2011)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

we all know it exists and we all know that it depends on where you live... Some people are where signal strength is perfect so the "death grip" is not an issue, but for some people it was a big problem, like me... I had 5 out of 10 calls dropped. this made me sell the phone as I can not (as anyone else) deal with 50% of my calls being lost, so I am happy with Galaxy S until next iphone is released

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dq13 View Post
    we all know it exists and we all know that it depends on where you live... Some people are where signal strength is perfect so the "death grip" is not an issue, but for some people it was a big problem, like me... I had 5 out of 10 calls dropped. this made me sell the phone as I can not (as anyone else) deal with 50% of my calls being lost, so I am happy with Galaxy S until next iphone is released
    So did u get a galaxy S on AT&T or a different carrier?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast