+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Consumer Reports 'Lab Tests' Find Death Grip in Verizon iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
What a bunch of jack holes. Enough of this already!
    Thanks
    What a bunch of jack holes. Enough of this already!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to btsrus For This Useful Post:

mr117 (02-26-2011)

Thanks

Please! Two i4s, no problems with "shorting out." Someone made a comment about using a copper wire? Gee, I just make phone calls without stretching a piece of copper wire across the bottom of my phone. I have had no issues with or without a bumper or case. A friend has a Blackberry, he showed me how, if he holds the phone in a certain way, the signal level goes down. So he doesn't hold it that way. "Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do this." The doctor says, "Then don't do that."

CU lost my respect a long time ago, based on review of other, non-Apple products. I am not a fanboy, far from it. I can give you a list of things I don't like about Apple. But this? No. How many millions of phones (AT&T and now Verizon) have been sold? I don't see lines of people waiting at the Apple Store to return them. So enough of this, already.
    Senior

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mr117 For This Useful Post:

mhtruth (02-26-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yair_213 View Post
    Who cares? I got iPhone 4 n im happy. Stop talking crap and go vibrate your phone
    vibrate your iphone,,,,,,,,? WEIRDO

Thanks
    Thanked 1,678 Times in 829 Posts

I like the conspiracy theory part, where CR was doing it just for attention. Ha!

Look, a phone has one (1) main function: to make phone calls. If there's a place you can touch on the outside of your phone that will drop your call then that's just bad design.

CP just says:

Bumper ON: Works great - iPhone 4 recommended!
    Bumper OFF: Cannot Recommend this phone.

That seems reasonable to me, considering there's a major design flaw regarding the phone's number-one (#1) most important function.

iPhone? More like MyPhone NiteStar's Avatar
    Thanks

I've been using a bumper because of the "death grip". However, the bumper has separated at the bottom and now I have been without a bumper for 1 month. I had forgot what it was like to actually have to readjust my pinky finger while on call because I'm dropping calls or having people say "your breaking up". lol. With my bumper, all was good. I just hate having to spend $30 for one with a new iPhone hopefully coming out in 4 months. And don't even get me started on the "proximity issue".

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE THIS PHONE. But like with everything, nothing is perfect.
    Last edited by NiteStar; 02-26-2011 at 05:01 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd much rather be a Apple fanboy than a google sheep

Thanks
    Death grip? must be a death knight

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yair_213 View Post
    Who cares? I got iPhone 4 n im happy. Stop talking crap and go vibrate your phone
    Hahaha. I like this guy ^

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
    Please! Two i4s, no problems with "shorting out." Someone made a comment about using a copper wire? Gee, I just make phone calls without stretching a piece of copper wire across the bottom of my phone. I have had no issues with or without a bumper or case. A friend has a Blackberry, he showed me how, if he holds the phone in a certain way, the signal level goes down. So he doesn't hold it that way. "Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do this." The doctor says, "Then don't do that."

CU lost my respect a long time ago, based on review of other, non-Apple products. I am not a fanboy, far from it. I can give you a list of things I don't like about Apple. But this? No. How many millions of phones (AT&T and now Verizon) have been sold? I don't see lines of people waiting at the Apple Store to return them. So enough of this, already.
    The copper wire is for proof of concept. I use copper or gold to prove to fanboys that the issue is real because it drops from full bars to none in less then a second on every iPhone when you short it out.
    Look I love my iPhone but this is real. Just admit it. Don't be mad at CU for being honest and fair. It makes you look dishonest and unfair.

Thanks

Sure- and if I run a copper wire from my iPhone to the coil on my car, the phone blows up. I hold my phone with my hand. I don't need a "proof of concept" with an artificial means- unless you make calls using the wire, it makes no sense to say that holding a wire shorts the phone. . Now, I'm left-handed, so I hold my phone in my right hand. Maybe that's why I personally have no issues. But the other 12 million people who are keeping their phones? Only about 8% can be lefties.
    Senior

Thanks

I get this problem with Vodafone here in the UK, I do not have the proxy sensor problem though. (touch wood)
    Apple are Control freaks we need to stop them before they take over the world!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nicrfe View Post
    The issue with the iPhone is way different then with any other phone. I show people every time this comes up. Short the 2 antennas on the sides of the phone with the part along the bottom using your hand or copper wire. Every time on every iPhone 4 if I get good contact with the copper the signal is lost. Go to google and find one other phone that is like that. But like you say don't just take anyones word for it. Go try it yourself.
    Mine doesn't loose signal, it's a small amount of phones that are effected. Sorry you have one.

The copper wire is for proof of concept. I use copper or gold to prove to fanboys that the issue is real because it drops from full bars to none in less then a second on every iPhone when you short it out.
    Look I love my iPhone but this is real. Just admit it. Don't be mad at CU for being honest and fair. It makes you look dishonest and unfair.
    Here is another issue your passing over, take your copper wire and touch the 2 prongs on your charger together and plug it in to the wall. It affects everything with a plug I can't believe they haven't fixed the issue.

"Moron"- Dr. Greg House
    Last edited by Rob2G; 02-26-2011 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I am an Apple "fan boy" and will gladly admit to that!! I am also a very shrewd consumer and I do not settle for crap in anything I purchase. Apple makes great products. If I was having constant problems with the iPhone4 dropping calls, I simply would not own one. Have I experienced the signal issues as in the CR reports? Yes I have, but only in the first brief moments of owning the phone. Even then, I never dropped a call in my subsequent tests of the "death grip". I purchased a case before I bought the phone. I like to have my purchases protected. Problem solved.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Dumbasses period! this is the best phone in the world period!

iPhone? More like MyPhone blueblaze4444's Avatar
    Thanks

You can't compare signal attenuation as it passes through your hands on other phones to the iPhone antennas literally shorting out when you hold it.
    I agree...but the iPhone 4 has never caused me real problems. It seems that you have to intentionally use the death grip...I've never dropped a call due to the death grip when I wasn't trying

And anybody who can purchase a $300 phone can certainly pay $2 on a case from Amazon....if not $30 from Apple
    Last edited by blueblaze4444; 02-26-2011 at 06:12 PM.
    God Bless

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'm on my second iPhone 4. Both phones have had reception issues when I hold it, and both have had faulty proximity sensors. Really sucks.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to bren132409 For This Useful Post:

mhtruth (02-26-2011)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

ive never dropped a call due to this issue , but by all means carry on your argument.

the proximity issue is definitely annoying though.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to aimetti For This Useful Post:

mhtruth (02-26-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

My iphone 4 gets better reception then my first gen, my 3G and my 3GS all got. When you TRY to make something not work right, it's much more likely to happen.
    Not buying the iPhone 4 because of the "deathgrip" is like not buying a pen because it doesn't write upside down. When the hell will you ever be writing upside down? And when the hell will you ever be talking on the phone while gripping it like a grenade?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheDirtyDiddler For This Useful Post:

mhtruth (02-26-2011), vantheman169 (02-26-2011)

Thanks

Puke...Puke...Puke on Consumer Reports...
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Fan boy bs. The iPhone 4 has a problem. Most phones don't have external antennas that you grab while on the phone and thus do not have this problem. Is big problem ? I say no. But let's be honest it is a problem.
    I dont even own an iPhone 4, Do i like my iPhone 3GS? yes. I do admit that there is a problem with this but its a very very small percentage of people that have "any" issues with the iPhone 4's reception at all. Overall i think people are very happy with their iPhone 4's.

Also if you have followed this story at all (obviously you have not) you will see that other smart phones have this same issue even tho they dont have EXTERNAL antennas like the iPhone 4 but yet when the whole phone is completely covered like they do in all these videos, the bars drop and thus lose signal/drop calls. Thanks for voicing your opinion even tho you have no idea what your talking about.