+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad 2 Available Next Week: Rumor

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Following a report that iPad 2 production was backlogged, pushing the ship date of the refreshed tablet into the summer, we're now hearing indications that they'll be in stores as
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPad 2 Available Next Week: Rumor

Following a report that iPad 2 production was backlogged, pushing the ship date of the refreshed tablet into the summer, we're now hearing indications that they'll be in stores as early as next week. AppleInsider is quoting the well-known "people familiar with the matter" as saying that at least some iPad 2s "will be in transit to retail outlets" during next Wednesday's announcement.

Last week, Taiwanese research firm Yuanta said that there had been production problems with the second-generation iPad that would delay the release by as much as two months. Though most analysts thought these reports were overblown, both Apple and iPad manufacturer Foxconn saw their stock prices plummet. Twin reports on Friday, however, indicated that Yuanta was not just wrong, they were very wrong.

A Jon Paczkowski post on the Wall Street Journal's Digital Daily blog quotes Barclays analyst Kirk Yang as saying that iPad 2 shipments would start in early April. Delays past the original estimate of March are due to "production line setup and training," not any production problem, Yang said. But AppleInsider, which true to its name has multiple sources inside the company, says that Apple is greasing the skids for a major product rollout in the second half of next week. According to AppleInsider's insiders, they are "preparing several of its operating segments to perform functions during the second half of next week that are representative of nothing short of a large scale, consumer-oriented product roll out (not just an announcement)." Though this is clearly just hearsay, AppleInsider notes that these sources have "consistently provided accurate information" about Apple's plans and timing.

The bottom line is that it would make no sense for Apple to announce a new tablet - at the same time Motorola 's working on building up buzz for the Xoom - that it couldn't deliver for a month or more. In an increasingly competitive environment, Apple can't afford to wait. So while we don't know if the report is true, it would be the right move for Apple, and their choice of Wednesday for the announcement more likely than not reflects their confidence that they can get iPads on the street quickly.

Source: AppleInsider

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i hope i would go buy it right away!
    Please press the Thanks button if I ever helped, you'd be helping me

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

The motorola XOOM is overpiced and under featured, bring on the iPad 2.

Thanks

^Agree with u
    Please press the Thanks button if I ever helped, you'd be helping me

Thanks
    Thanked 2,048 Times in 923 Posts

I still find it amazing how everyone else 'has' to put Android into their 3,000 products just to compete with Apples single-digit product line running iOS!!! Xoom will be like all the rest...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPittsburgh View Post
    It's the same price as the 32GB iPad so how is it overpriced? And under featured? Please explain or is it just blind fanboyism?

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

anekin007 (02-26-2011), BlaqkRoxstar360 (02-26-2011), MetallicaFan1991 (02-26-2011), shinygerbil (02-26-2011), spazturtle (02-26-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

When Apple decides to truly split iOS and develop a UI specifically designed to make use of screen real-estate available to tablets - then the iPad will look attractive to me.

Even the iPhone 4 is a massive waste of that gorgeous display - because it's squeezed into such a tiny screen they can't make use of the extra pixels to add anything to the basic UI except a bit of prettiness, and it's not an aesthetic that suits my taste so that's very much wasted on me.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I don't think this would be true... it wouldn't give anyone time to pre-order like all the rest of their product announcements.

Thanks

So true

Thanks
    Thanked 2,048 Times in 923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shinygerbil View Post
    When Apple decides to truly split iOS and develop a UI specifically designed to make use of screen real-estate available to tablets - then the iPad will look attractive to me.

Even the iPhone 4 is a massive waste of that gorgeous display - because it's squeezed into such a tiny screen they can't make use of the extra pixels to add anything to the basic UI except a bit of prettiness, and it's not an aesthetic that suits my taste so that's very much wasted on me.
    You're kidding, right?!?! Are u on the right website???

Thanks

macbook pro and ipad in 1 week? i want both but i cant afford both? ****.. im gonna buy a macbook pro.. thats for sure.. but come on apple at least wait a month lol

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Im ready to order!

What's Jailbreak? BlaqkRoxstar360's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    You're kidding, right?!?! Are u on the right website???
    He actually made a valid point, don't be a blind fanboy.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlaqkRoxstar360 For This Useful Post:

shinygerbil (02-26-2011), spazturtle (02-26-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shinygerbil View Post

You're quick to criticize but offer no alternative ideas. Regarding the iPhone 4 you can jailbreak and infinitely change the aesthetic to anything that suites your taste. Every other phone you're stuck with the UI it comes with.

I'm curious... how would you change the iPad UI to take advantage of the screen real estate.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

giant icons and awesome widgets!!!

not..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 849 Posts

I'm still bummed that the Retina iPad rumors appear to be false. I guess we'll find out on Wednesday.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    I'm still bummed that the Retina iPad rumors appear to be false. I guess we'll find out on Wednesday.
    The technology to do it is too expensive right now, but give it a few years when more development is put into it and I could see it become reality.

I almost hope the next iPad doesn't come out next week that wouldn't give me anytime to sell mine before it's released, which would totally kill my resale price.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to zoso10 For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (02-26-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 849 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    You're quick to criticize but offer no alternative ideas. Regarding the iPhone 4 you can jailbreak and infinitely change the aesthetic to anything that suites your taste. Every other phone you're stuck with the UI it comes with.

I'm curious... how would you change the iPad UI to take advantage of the screen real estate.
    I see what he's saying. I've played around with the iPad a bunch, and it's basically a big iPod. Its icons are spread out on the screen with lots of space in between, you can't pull up two web pages side-by-side, and everything just kind of feels awkward.

Apple should certainly re-engineer the iPad so that it uses the space on the screen more efficiently. Relying on a jailbreak to 'fix' the UI is not a proper solution, only a band-aid. The code needs to be altered in a fundamental way.

If you're really looking for a great UI, check out HP's newest tablet: WebOS is a fantastic platform, and will compliment a tablet very nicely.
    Last edited by Jahooba; 02-26-2011 at 10:44 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    It's the same price as the 32GB iPad so how is it overpriced? And under featured? Please explain or is it just blind fanboyism?
    Motorola xoom = $800
    ipad 32gb wifi = $600
    Maybe underfeatured was the wrong word, android lacks the refinedness that iOS has. Definitely not a fanboy, I'll try out each product and buy depending on which I like more. Currently I'm debating between the motorola atrix 4g and the iPhone 5, when I'm available for upgrade.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    I see what he's saying. I've played around with the iPad a bunch, and it's basically a big iPod. Its icons are spread out on the screen with lots of space in between, you can't pull up two web pages side-by-side, and everything just kind of feels awkward.

Apple should certainly re-engineer the iPad so that it uses the space on the screen more efficiently. Relying on a jailbreak to 'fix' the UI is not a proper solution, only a band-aid. The code needs to be altered in a fundamental way.
    Yeah, one thing I think would be cool is to have 2 apps running simultaneously on the screen at once. They should allow 2 apps landscaped above one another when the iPad is in portrait mode or the apps be in portrait beside one another when the iPad is in landscape mode. It would probably require special coding in the apps, but if they really have a dual-core processor in the iPad 2 then it wouldn't be impossible.

Motorola xoom = $800
    ipad 32gb wifi = $600
    Actually the wifi-only Motorola Xoom is supposed to be $600 also.
    Last edited by The6uest; 02-26-2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost