+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Thunderbolt: Apple's Light Peak Implementation

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by ramb0 Since when was FireWire a failure? lol. I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion, but FireWire was a success. Many higher end PC users
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ramb0 View Post
    Since when was FireWire a failure? lol. I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion, but FireWire was a success. Many higher end PC users also use FireWire. (aka IEEE 1394 & IEEE 1394b).

HDMI is more proprietary than Mini DisplayPort. Apple use the DisplayPort standard for a number of reasons.
    1. They don't have to pay high licencing fees to use HDMI
    2. DisplayPort has some advantages over HDMI
    3. While Apple is responsible for the Mini DisplayPort interface, other vendors can use it without paying any licencing fees. In fact, HP, Dell & Toshiba all have laptops available with Apple's Mini DisplayPort interface, and desktop computers with the standard size DisplayPort.

DisplayPort is a direct competitor of HDMI in the PC world, too.
    It's about market-share, which is clearly dominated by USB. You're comparing apples to oranges. Regular people use USB, power users SOMETIMES use FireWire, which means USB won, decisively.

When was the last time you saw a TV with a "display-port"? They use HDMI, Component, and rarely DVI.

Sorry, but Apple just wants to make sure Mac users buy their accessories from Apple, not Phillips.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    Maybe because Apple didn't develop it, or contribute to its development, or have anything to do with Light Peak whatsoever other than putting it in their computers and making it the same shape as DisplayPort?

Thunderbolt isn't SUPPOSED to be an Apple-only thing; it's supposed to be the new USB.
    yea and its not really a device. But this is awesome, writing after the new macbook pros are out so we know they have them, cant wait to get one.
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris619 View Post
    so that mystery port on the side of the ipad might be a Thunderbolt (Light Peak) Port?
    I was thinking this as well!! If it's a success, I'm sure it is.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12