Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T is Getting Their Network Ready for iPhone 4 Personal Hotspot Feature

Default AT&T is Getting Their Network Ready for iPhone 4 Personal Hotspot Feature

AppleInsider is reporting that AT&T is about ready to launch the personal hotspot feature for the iPhone 4. AT&T is apparently getting their network ready for an anticipated increase in network demand. Verizon iPhones already have this capability with iOS 4.2.6, a version that is only available for their devices. AT&T customers will have to wait until Apple releases iOS 4.3, which is expected sometime later this month. This feature is also said to only be compatible with iPhone 4 and will not be available for previous iPhone models. Beta copies of iOS 4.3 already include the hotspot feature, but itís up to the individual carriers to implement it on their networks.

With growing demand for personal hotspots and tethering options, both carriers hope to entice their customers into paying extra for the privilege. iPhone users who jailbreak their devices can have this feature without a monthly fee by installing the MyWi app on their iPhones, for a one time cost of only $20. Of course, Apple frowns on users jailbreaking their devices. AT&T has not yet released the cost of adding a hotspot feature to an iPhone account, but they are widely expected to charge the same $20 a month that Verizon does.

This isnít the first time that AT&T has been slow to add features generally available on other phones. The original iPhone could only send SMS text messages, when most phones at the time could send MMS text messages. They were also slow to add a tethering option, waiting until iOS 3.0 before making it available. This was all before AT&T had any competition, of course. Now they have to keep up with features that Verizon offers to its customers as well. In this way, competition has proven to be a boon for customers using both carriers. One day you may actually be able to use your iPhone to make calls on AT&Tís network. When that happens AT&T might actually give Verizon a run for its money.

Source: AppleInsider

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wiley John Wright For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (02-20-2011), turkey26 (02-21-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Great for those that want to pay an extra $20/month! I'll stick with MyWi On Demand

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve-z17 For This Useful Post:

g12007 (02-20-2011), vantheman169 (02-19-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe for the majority of people who don't jailbreak their iPhones for whatever reason, but us jailbreakers i think are happy with MyWi. I know i am

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vantheman169 For This Useful Post:

carolinamic (02-19-2011), g12007 (02-20-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    Maybe for the majority of people who don't jailbreak their iPhones for whatever reason, but us jailbreakers i think are happy with MyWi. I know i am
    Amen to that brother!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Great for those that want to pay an extra $20/month! I'll stick with MyWi On Demand
    MyWi on demand FTW!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to vantheman169 For This Useful Post:

steve-z17 (02-19-2011)

I thought us not being able to send MMS messages was because of Jobs' own reluctance to add the feature and not that of AT&T's?

MyWi FTW!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NiteStar For This Useful Post:

skj8100 (02-20-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NiteStar View Post
    I thought us not being able to send MMS messages was because of Jobs' own reluctance to add the feature and not that of AT&T's?

MyWi FTW!
    What are you talking about "not being able to send MMS"?

EDIT sorry i see what your talking about now....Jailbreakers could send MMS tho!

Unlimited plan + MyWi + 3G Unrestricter = Epic Win

Sent from my iPhone 4 using ModMyi
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    True my good sir, very true

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley John Wright View Post

AppleInsider is reporting that AT&T is about ready to launch the personal hotspot feature for the iPhone 4. AT&T is apparently getting their network ready for an anticipated increase in network demand. Verizon iPhones already have this capability with iOS 4.2.6, a version that is only available for their devices. AT&T customers will have to wait until Apple releases iOS 4.3, which is expected sometime later this month. This feature is also said to only be compatible with iPhone 4 and will not be available for previous iPhone models. Beta copies of iOS 4.3 already include the hotspot feature, but it’s up to the individual carriers to implement it on their networks.

With growing demand for personal hotspots and tethering options, both carriers hope to entice their customers into paying extra for the privilege. iPhone users who jailbreak their devices can have this feature without a monthly fee by installing the MyWi app on their iPhones, for a one time cost of only $20. Of course, Apple frowns on users jailbreaking their devices. AT&T has not yet released the cost of adding a hotspot feature to an iPhone account, but they are widely expected to charge the same $20 a month that Verizon does.

This isn’t the first time that AT&T has been slow to add features generally available on other phones. The original iPhone could only send SMS text messages, when most phones at the time could send MMS text messages. They were also slow to add a tethering option, waiting until iOS 3.0 before making it available. This was all before AT&T had any competition, of course. Now they have to keep up with features that Verizon offers to its customers as well. In this way, competition has proven to be a boon for customers using both carriers. One day you may actually be able to use your iPhone to make calls on AT&T’s network. When that happens AT&T might actually give Verizon a run for its money.

Source: AppleInsider
    I've already posted this.

ďPersonal HotspotĒ

Get out of here with that cheap AT&T blow guy, hater. Not a damn thing wrong with AT&T's network.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dizzy714 For This Useful Post:

h2a (02-19-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    Unlimited plan + MyWi + 3G Unrestricter = Epic Win

Sent from my iPhone 4 using ModMyi
    Same here dude. Lovin' it!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy714 View Post
    Get out of here with that cheap AT&T blow guy, hater. Not a damn thing wrong with AT&T's network.
    who are you talking to?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy714 View Post
    I hope your not talking to me...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Just like everyone else said. $20/month or $20-one time fee for MyWi. For those of us grandfathered into the $30 unlimited data plan MyWi is a godsend and there isn't a damn thing AT&T will do about it. Any change in our unlimited data to capped data represents a material change and lets us out of our contract.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it AT&T. To Verizon, you guys still suck and I use voice/data simultaneously almost every day so suck it.

why has no one posted 4.3 + tetherme = working personal hotspot?

Thanks

maybe cuz not everyone has access to 4.3 and MyWi is the Shiznit

Hmm thats odd. My iphone makes calls just fine on att. Since when has modmyi allowed such moronic articles to grace their site.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aimetti View Post
    Hmm thats odd. My iphone makes calls just fine on att. Since when has modmyi allowed such moronic articles to grace their site.
    Lol, I have already posted on this here is the LINK. As you can see i posted it beofre him and it has info from more then one source.

Its like deja vu with the articles

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast