Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Working on Method to Extend Battery Life

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Working on Method to Extend Battery Life

With Apple coming out with devices that are both thinner in profile and more powerful, battery life is going to become even more of a concern than it is today. Apple's industrial design pretty much prohibits the idea of going with a larger battery, so the only option is to pack more power in a smaller space. This appears to be exactly the tack the company is taking, as a patent was revealed today showing a new charging method that would increase the capacity of a lithium battery.

The patent, called "Increasing Energy Density in Rechargeable Lithium Battery Cells," details how a battery's gravimetric and volumetric energy density would be improved using a multi-step constant-current constant-voltage (CC-CV) charging technique. CC-CV in general involves charging at a higher initial constant current until the battery is almost charged, then the charging at a constant voltage until the charge current drops and the battery is fully charged. This patent involves breaking that down into steps: first charging to 50% with constant current and following up with a period of constant voltage, repeating in smaller and smaller steps until the battery is charged. Using this technique, Apple claims they can produce batteries with larger charging elements - thereby increasing battery life - while keeping charge time the same.

CC-CV charging is not a new discovery, and one of the significant drawbacks with the technique is that it significant decreases battery life at lower temperature, with significant degradation at just 10 C or below. Also, leaving the battery attached to a traditional CC-CV charger can reduce the number of charge cycles through overvoltage. Apple's multi-step technique purports to avoid these obstacles by adjusting for either temperature or voltage using smart sensors.

Though the mere existence of a patent doesn't mean Apple is going to implement the technology any time soon, it's worth noting that this patent was applied for in August 2009. So it's entirely possible that work on this project has continued, with improvements to come in the near future with a new generation of devices.

Source: Electronista

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

dimplenicko (02-19-2011), Jahooba (02-18-2011), reaves205 (02-18-2011)

Fantastic longer fun

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thank God, when I'm multitasking on my device the battery life SUCK they needed too improve this a long time ago. See Apple is kinda getting it
    And Steve Jobs said "Let there be light... and lets put that into an app also"

Thanks

This is absolutely necessary if Apple plans to use a Retina display on future iPads or if they increase the screen size on the iPhone. Everyone is already aware of the battery life issues that the Evo and the Droid x have.

this would be really nice for those (like myself) that use an animated weather widget...
    Neo Style by k.nitsua....early front runner for THEME OF THE YEAR

Now in a dead heat with liveOS c/o bluemetal....

Let us all welcome the newest fighter to the TOTY ring...iNavHD c/o reeco

So is this software or hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by creasy425 View Post
    this would be really nice for those (like myself) that use an animated weather widget...
    I just turned the animations off. The over the top snow animation made every other animation lag to like two frames a second :/

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    So is this software or hardware?

I just turned the animations off. The over the top snow animation made every other animation lag to like two frames a second :/
    I was gonna do that. But then I read in a theme thread how to lower the snow/rain count. That made a huge improvement, dropped the lag to almost zero.
    Neo Style by k.nitsua....early front runner for THEME OF THE YEAR

Now in a dead heat with liveOS c/o bluemetal....

Let us all welcome the newest fighter to the TOTY ring...iNavHD c/o reeco

Using a dual core in the iPhone 5 will increase battery life without any changes to the battery itself. With the iPhone 4 and Galaxy S sporting the best battery life(s) on the market at the moment, I can only imagine what is in store for us in Summer!

Neat. What we need is a battery that charges in 20 seconds. Get on that one, Apple! We're eleven years into the future; let's make this happen already.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

AnthonyGiola (02-19-2011)

Thanks

I love the iPhone 4 battery life.
    So anything More than that is outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by creasy425 View Post
    I was gonna do that. But then I read in a theme thread how to lower the snow/rain count. That made a huge improvement, dropped the lag to almost zero.
    I did that too (without any help ), but I like my lag to be zero

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Its about time. All that money spend it on something useful.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Atta boy Apple

Use the 3G off/on when your are in sleep mode.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

My iPhone 4's battery is awesome, it goes over 7 days if I don't use it(I still get push email and notifications from various apps).

It last 2 days when I spend 8 hours a day messing about like listening to music and browsing in Safari at the same time.

Samsung Galaxy S2 has 1600+ mah battery in a thinner device than the iPhone 4, and the S2 has a quad core GPU, just saying...

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

The current battery life of the i4 is huge, so they won't need to upgrade it this year
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Isn't this what the Battery Doctor app does Now?
    I'm so far ahead , that everyday is yesterday !

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    The current battery life of the i4 is huge, so they won't need to upgrade it this year
    Mines shocking. I get 1 day of constant use

Quote Originally Posted by onlinegamesnz View Post
    Mines shocking. I get 1 day of constant use
    You think that's bad, I get 3-4 hours of light use, eg Safari or using the Music app alone with the screen locked!

Longer battery life is always better, the more you begin with, the more you are left with after 2 years.

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeck0265 View Post
    Isn't this what the Battery Doctor app does Now?
    No, a app on your phone is not gonna make electrical voltage changes come from the charger.

This would be like a smart charger for say, it would work with senors in the computers battery and sensors with a small logic board in the charger. It would interpret density and temperature changes so it could adjust voltage and current being supplied to the device accordingly.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast