+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Devouring 60% of World Touchscreen Supply

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Snozberries 1. = NOM NOM NOM!! 2. = Securing your future linked with evolving technology +2 Apple -2 Samsung, Acer, Motorola, RIM and HP!! Samsung probably make
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snozberries View Post
    1. = NOM NOM NOM!!
    2. = Securing your future linked with evolving technology

+2 Apple
    -2 Samsung, Acer, Motorola, RIM and HP!!
    Samsung probably make the touch screens

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Leave not on the table that they may simply wish to guarantee a good supply of a far superior product to a wanting market. *shruggs*

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Isn't that "monopolizing the market" or something?
    No. This is a very commonly used business strategy called non-hostile vertical integration. Instead of buying out all the organizations that manufacture and gather the necessary materials for your product, you let the organizations stand by controlling at least 51% of their interest.
    Also known as the controlling customer concept, this strategy has been used throughout modern history. It is often used as a means for an organization to become a mid-level supplier. In this instance, however, it is a business tactic aimed at showing investors the robust confidence apple has in it's future and forthcoming success while securing their position of dominance in this area of technology.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Barney the Dinosaur could have bought %60 of the displays. If anything this is better for me as a consumer of Apple products.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Gators View Post
    Now that there is real competition coming Apple's way, this is how they deal with it. Rather than making a better product and removing all of their stupid restrictions so more people would want to buy their idevices, they're choosing to double down with their arrogance and force people to buy Apple because the much better Android products will be out of stock. Typical Apple BS that a lot of people are starting to get real sick of.
    Agreed, but this lot of people starting to get sick sure will be the ones shelling out more dough to keep the (hopefully more evolved) alternatives alive.
    To Apple figure$ they won't make much of a ripple on the enormous mass-marketshare iOS is going to gain with this tactic.

And as mentioned in other posts, this is most surely good for the entire market, from the component producers, to technological innovations, and ultimately for the consumers.
    Last edited by nutz; 02-17-2011 at 02:45 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Lmao

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I am not sure this can be called a monolpoly. They paid for x number of displays, and will be receiving x number. If that number happens to be 60% of what can be produced, so be it. Unless I am reading this wrong, they aren't specifically doing this to try and block competition, which is what an antitrust issue ACTUALLY is...
    Exactly. Apple pre-paid for all the displays so they could save money, it's a very smart move! They weren't trying to beat down the competition at all, they were just planning ahead. Good job Apple

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    have to agree with a lot of the responses. quite a smart business move on apple's end. i'm sure had the other companies had the opportunity they would've done the same thing. i just hope the competition steps up and creates innovative new products to compete with apples' products, this will be better for the consumers!

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snozberries View Post
    1. = NOM NOM NOM!!
    2. = Securing your future linked with evolving technology

+2 Apple
    -2 Samsung, Acer, Motorola, RIM and HP!!
    I doubt Samsung care, they already make touch panels for themselves and they make SAMOLED touch panels which are by far the best touch screens right now.
    Its other manufacturers that should be worried.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think Samasung has to worry, they have a pretty large stake in Idevices already. Considering they provide quite the few integrated circuits to apple, that means every Idevice sold is more money in samasungs pockets as well.
    Last edited by Captinsmooth; 02-17-2011 at 04:38 PM.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Samsung make "screens" I.e. LCD and led not the actual glass touch panel? I've always seen these parts sold separately so I am under the impression that they aren't the same component.

If that is the case then samsung would definitely have to be worried about this shortage soon to come.

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Samsung make "screens" I.e. LCD and led not the actual glass touch panel? I've always seen these parts sold separately so I am under the impression that they aren't the same component.

If that is the case then samsung would definitely have to be worried about this shortage soon to come.
    You are correct they are different components. As far as knowing if samsung makes capacitive touch screens I am not sure. I am pretty sure that current samsung phones use a resistive based touchscreens and not capacitive.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

Green Apple
    Thanks

hahahahaha damn apple is evil but smart

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Isn't that "monopolizing the market" or something?
    its childish, and makes apple look like a jealous bully. apple is a company that hates consumers and hates competition.

what a lousy strategy for dealing with competition. in the end, its the users, the consumers who suffer.

I hate apple and I do not plan on buying any more of their products after the contract expires on my iphone 4's.

Ive already decided on getting the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 and Im so glad that the ipad 2 is already D.O.A !!

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captinsmooth View Post
    You are correct they are different components. As far as knowing if samsung makes capacitive touch screens I am not sure. I am pretty sure that current samsung phones use a resistive based touchscreens and not capacitive.
    Fail. Samsung use capacitive SAMOLED screens in there high end Android phones. The AMOLED screen has a built in touchscreen unlike LCD where it's layered. That's how they've achieved a super thin Galaxy S2. Wont be long before Apple have to remove the thinnest smartphone in the world ad.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    its childish, and makes apple look like a jealous bully. apple is a company that hates consumers and hates competition.

what a lousy strategy for dealing with competition. in the end, its the users, the consumers who suffer.

I hate apple and I do not plan on buying any more of their products after the contract expires on my iphone 4's.

Ive already decided on getting the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 and Im so glad that the ipad 2 is already D.O.A !!
    whaaaa!

Thanks

It becomes monopolizing to a certain extent. If it continues for the next few years then *maybe* it might become monopolizing. But theres too many conditions to tell if its REALLY monopolizing.

One side can say "It's monopolizing because it takes 60% of the touchscreen production to feed apple's need for touchscreens, which leaves little for other companies to order forcing them to delay production".

The other side can say "Its not monopolizing because its not apples fault that their products are more popular than other companies which requires them to make more products".

You cant really tell, its personal opinion. Mine? as i said above, its monopolizing to a certain extent.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I believe you are uneducated.

Thanks

Then why are you here if you hate apple? this IS a site for apple products you know.

Go find a microsoft forum site

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Th3_Amazing_Ath3ist View Post
    Then why are you here if you hate apple? this IS a site for apple products you know.

Go find a microsoft forum site
    Or Google forums.