Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Warner Bros. Launches Movie “App Editions” Starting with The Dark Knight and Inception

Default Warner Bros. Launches Movie “App Editions” Starting with The Dark Knight and Inception

Warner Bros. today launched what it’s calling “App Editions” of a couple it’s highest grossing movies with the release of The Dark Knight and Inception. The app versions of these movies are free to download and give you a brief idea of what you’ll get with the paid versions. Currently, the in-app price of Inception is $11.99 and The Dark Knight will set you back $9.99. iTunes is selling the standard version of The Dark Knight for the same price, but the App Edition of Inception is $2 more. Of course you get much more content with these new versions than with the standard movie download. These App Editions are available for the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad.

According to the Warner Brothers press release, “App Editions provide a fully-loaded, connected viewing experience that gives consumers the first five minutes of a feature film and a portion of bonus content that can include games, trivia, soundtracks and soundboards. The entire feature film can be unlocked via an in-app purchase, which enables downloading and unlimited streaming, as well as access to the entire array of bonus content available within the App.”

These new App Editions are available in 30 territories, some of which don’t currently have access to the iTunes movie section, including China, Brazil and the Netherlands. These films are also available in more than 16 different languages and come with subtitles for 34 languages as well.

Warner Brothers also includes support for popular social networking sites. “While watching the film, fans can also connect with friends by sharing their favorite movie quotes through Facebook and Twitter and watch a feed of social networking chatter directly related to the movie in real-time.”

The app versions of these films also have another nice feature, they don’t take up much room on your iDevice. Both movie apps are in the 20 MB range. The standard film versions of these movies are closer to 2 GB in size. By default the apps are set to stream content to your device over Wi-Fi or 3G. You do, however, have the option of downloading the entire feature, but this requires the full size movie file. It’s nice having the option to download the film if you’re planning on being on a long flight for example. If movie studios start releasing more movie titles as apps, then you’ll be able to have a much larger movie library available on your iDevice at one time. I have so many apps on my iPhone most of the time, that I rarely have room for any movies, but I always leave enough room for Netflix though.

The App Edition of The Dark Knight is more like a DVD than a standard app. The video quality is quite good and there are plenty of extras to enjoy. Hopefully more movies will be release as apps in the future. My only real concern with concept of a movie app is how to watch it on a regular TV. The next iOS update is due to arrive quite soon and AirPlay should be able to stream any video content on an iDevice to an Apple TV when it is released. Until then, I’ll just have to be content watching these movies on a small screen. After all, it’s not like I haven’t already seen these movies before.

Source: MacRumors

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wiley John Wright For This Useful Post:

Happy Noodle Boy (02-17-2011), reaves205 (02-17-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Wait for Apple to stop these movie apps cos they bypass the iTunes Movie Store and let Studios price their movies instead of Apple pricing the movies in iTunes.
    They are a win for the many areas without an iTunes Movie Store.

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Wait for Apple to stop these movie apps cos they bypass the iTunes Movie Store and let Studios price their movies instead of Apple pricing the movies in iTunes.
    They are a win for the many areas without an iTunes Movie Store.
    Apple gets a cut from whatever this app makes since everything is an IAP. They probably don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Really don't see studios competing with themselves more than $1-2 on this one when someone can still use iTunes to get the content cheaper. At $1-2 for the extras some may find it attractive. At most I see apple creating a place for these apps inside the videos. It will suck having 5-8 movies all as separate apps.
    Last edited by Drizahy; 02-17-2011 at 07:05 AM.

from where can i download?

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Sweet, not a farting app!
    Last edited by steve-z17; 02-17-2011 at 09:02 AM.

So... Is this a NEW Inception app?

I've had one for a while now, and it's cool, but no movie streaming... Or any video for that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool, sounds a lot like Warner brothers BD Live only on an iDevice

Ok...so apple denies Sony's app because books need to he purchased through apple...but Warner brothers can release an app where movies go through them instead of iTunes!!

What is this BS?!

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy742 View Post
    Cool, sounds a lot like Warner brothers BD Live only on an iDevice
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by iliveudie View Post
    Ok...so apple denies Sony's app because books need to he purchased through apple...but Warner brothers can release an app where movies go through them instead of iTunes!!

What is this BS?!
    You can buy Inception in the movie store.

You can't buy all of the Sony Reader books from iBooks. Apple is greatly lacking (still) publishers for it's e-book store, and wants the added revenue for other books. iTunes has a large movie selection, with no real competition. WB selling movies through Apps won't hurt as much as Sony/B&N/Amazon selling e-books on iDevices.

Bottom line, if Sony didn't have better publisher deals, Apple would have looked the other way.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by assasin34 View Post
    from where can i download?
    From iTunes my good sir!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to steve-z17 For This Useful Post:

popovicdarko (02-19-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by iliveudie View Post

What is this BS?!
    You are buying it through iTunes, dummy. It's an IAP, Apple is getting it's 30% cut on it (which may or may not be more than selling the movie outright on the iTunes store).

This is cool. The point of releasing the movie as an app is that Apple doesn't allow the movie section in iTunes in all countries. In fact, some countries can't even buy any songs from iTunes (South Africa for example). This way, the movie gets released, as an app, in a lot more countries.

Now if they would only make the app available in South Africa...

Neither Dark Knight or Inception app loads the first 5 minutes streaming for me.

aghhh I can't download it cause I live outside the USA and I want it so bad !!!!!!!

looks cool, sounds great, should be good