Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: BGR Says Verizon iPhone Sales May Be Disappointing

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default BGR Says Verizon iPhone Sales May Be Disappointing

Ahead of the Verizon iPhone launch earlier this month, hype surrounding the arrival of the smartphone on a new carrier in the US was so overwhelming that it's understandable to think that actual sales of the Verizon iPhone may fall short of the initial sales expectations. According to a new report published Wednesday, Verizon iPhone sales - while staggering - may be slightly less staggering than originally anticipated.

Today, the Boy Genius Report dished "exclusively" that a source close to Apple admitted that first-week Verizon iPhone sales have performed "a little under what Apple and Verizon anticipated." And BGR asserts it has the data to corroborate those claims. The assessment is based on sales totals gleaned from five Apple stores, two of which are supposedly "very, very prominent." What we are given is a side-by-side comparison of Verizon and AT&T iPhone 4 sales for the first five days of the Verizon iPhone's market availability.

• Thursday: Verizon = 909, AT&T = 539
    • Friday: Verizon = 916, AT&T = 680
    • Saturday: Verizon = 660, AT&T = 471
    • Sunday: Verizon = 796, AT&T = 701
    • Monday: Verizon = 711, AT&T = 618
    While the numbers are far from definitive, they do jive with what many Apple fans reported seeing at Verizon and Apple stores where the Verizon iPhone was made available. That is, underwhelming lines were spotted across the US, a reality that suggests Verizon iPhone-fever may not be as instantly contagious as once thought. BGR, however, also reports that an estimated 550,000 Verizon iPhones were sold online during the first preorder day (February 3rd) alone.

Source: BRG

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

turkey26 (02-17-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Once people's current contracts are due for renewal, with both Verizon and AT&T, I am sure more sales will be imminent. Had there been a more definitive date further in advance there probably would have been a better showing. I think the hush hush of exactly when AT&T's exclusivity was supposed to end contributed to the less than stellar sales.

Am i reading this wrong? cuzz it looks like verizon has sold more iphones per day than ATT did...
    Neo Style by k.nitsua....early front runner for THEME OF THE YEAR

Now in a dead heat with liveOS c/o bluemetal....

Let us all welcome the newest fighter to the TOTY ring...iNavHD c/o reeco

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

That's still a lot of iPhone 4's!
    Last edited by Broomhead; 02-16-2011 at 07:26 PM.

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by creasy425 View Post
    Am i reading this wrong? cuzz it looks like verizon has sold more iphones per day than ATT did...
    That's what I was thinking too! And then I thought "are these numbers compared to current sales for AT&T".... Still haven't figured it out yet.

You have to take into consideration that for AT&T, the iPhone 4 was released with it, while Verizon is caught midterm between generations makes a lot of people hold out for iPhone 5. At least I know that's why I personally haven't gotten a Verizon iPhone yet.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GellBrake'rrrr View Post
    That's what I was thinking too! And then I thought "are these numbers compared to current sales for AT&T".... Still haven't figured it out yet.
    Yeah neither have I...it's not making sense to me

Quote Originally Posted by creasy425 View Post
    No your not reading it wrong. However everyone expected it to just destroy AT&T's sales. It hasn't hurt AT&T at all. Just shows that all the Verizon/iPhone hype was fueled by the media not consumers.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GellBrake'rrrr View Post
    It's compared to the first 4 days that they released the vip4 to AT&T , I guess they though it'd be more. It's just pointing out that it was less then they anticipated.

550,000 in the preorder stage is impressive though

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    No your not reading it wrong. However everyone expected it to just destroy AT&T's sales. It hasn't hurt AT&T at all. Just shows that all the Verizon/iPhone hype was fueled by the media not consumers.
    Yea I was reading it n the others that thought it was the verizon sales compared to AT&T was thinking that the report was wrong. But ur rite I thought the same thing.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Striknine's Avatar
    Thanks

What was AT&T numbers in the pre order stage? I'm sure it had to be more then Verizon given contracts were up or close to it and a complete redesign of the product.

Sent from my iPad using ModMyi

If any of the hundred available Droids had done business like this people would be screaming that Apple was about to die.

Mid-term with most likely to make the jump stuck in contract, pretty impressive.

iPhone? More like MyPhone 97vrsix's Avatar
    Thanks

Honestly, I don't think it would matter the carrier right now, due to it being close to IP5, and little time to amp up the sales!

Most won't spit out that Ching knowing the IP5 is close!

Also, honestly, I feel that if they went with TMO, there sales would have been more! And for Apple, that would be taking care of a major carrier, that does unlock the phone now to use! Seeing how they are not gonna take us to court, and they know that TMO was the only other major player in us that does the unlock! Everyone jailbrakes!

My two cents! I know Verizon has stronger service! And more towers! But, TMO is getting up there, and also better then ATT!

I guess for apple A TMO move would be a roll of the dice at this point! And Verizon a sure shot! At least in the tech dept!

Tmo also does sell the IP4 over sea's! Just not in USA! I'm hopeful for a TMO move for IP5

Does anyone know if ATT and Verizon have exclusive contacts? Or is that out the window now with ATT?

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    New unibody Macbook Pro, the jacked Model.. Iphone 2G, and 3G, 3G's, And 4G.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

that's a lot of iphones and numbers are higher than ATT

With the way this is worded, it looks to me like Verizon barely sold any iPhones. I sure HOPE they sold more Verizon iPhones the days after the launch compared to the ATT iPhone 4 thats been out for over 6 months... iPhone 4 on ATT is old at this point, its getting close to the iPhone 5. Just the fact that they're still selling a 7 month old phone on ATT in those numbers is amazing. Wait a few months for the iPhone 5, you're stuck in a 2 year contract!

Are you thinking this is launch day vs launch day numbers? I don't see how thats possible, since every Apple store had HUGE lines for iPhone 4 on launch day, whereas almost no Apple stores had a line for VZW iPhone 4's.

Quote Originally Posted by 97vrsix View Post
    Honestly, I don't think it would matter the carrier right now, due to it being close to IP5, and little time to amp up the sales!

Most won't spit out that Ching knowing the IP5 is close!

Also, honestly, I feel that if they went with TMO, there sales would have been more! And for Apple, that would be taking care of a major carrier, that does unlock the phone now to use! Seeing how they are not gonna take us to court, and they know that TMO was the only other major player in us that does the unlock! Everyone jailbrakes!

My two cents! I know Verizon has stronger service! And more towers! But, TMO is getting up there, and also better then ATT!

I guess for apple A TMO move would be a roll of the dice at this point! And Verizon a sure shot! At least in the tech dept!

Tmo also does sell the IP4 over sea's! Just not in USA! I'm hopeful for a TMO move for IP5

Does anyone know if ATT and Verizon have exclusive contacts? Or is that out the window now with ATT?

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    The exclusive is out the window. It's all fair game.

Quote Originally Posted by delusion950 View Post
    that's a lot of iphones and numbers are higher than ATT
    The numbers you are seeing is what was sold in the same days as the Verizon sales. So I don't see anything that impressive about that but that AT&T still sold a ton of iPhone's even when people had a choice to go to Verizon. And Also if memory serves me right AT&T sold of millions in the first day of sells for the i4. So let see what the I5 brings to the table but I'm still not impressed at all with Verizon's sells.
    Last edited by XFaega; 02-16-2011 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I believe those numbers are based on the day Verizon released and what ATT sold on those days.

My iPhone is a Part of Me RandyTG's Avatar
    Thanks

Default GSM vs. CDMA
    Maybe a lot of people like the ability to be on a call and surf the web or do something data driven and were reticent to hop on the V-train just for a hot, but hamstrung smartphone that will only let you do one or the other, just not concurrently.

Quote Originally Posted by Striknine View Post
    What was AT&T numbers in the pre order stage? I'm sure it had to be more then Verizon given contracts were up or close to it and a complete redesign of the product.

Sent from my iPad using ModMyi
    ATTS pre orders were north of 700k, and that was just ATT, not including Apple and other outlets
    Neo Style by k.nitsua....early front runner for THEME OF THE YEAR

Now in a dead heat with liveOS c/o bluemetal....

Let us all welcome the newest fighter to the TOTY ring...iNavHD c/o reeco

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphone4idiots's Avatar
    Thanks

While a lot of people might be holding out for iPhone 5. Remember when ATT sold iPhone 4 a lot of people were under contract with iPhone 3G or 3GS. So in that respect Verizon's sales should be much higher. Not to mention Verizon has about 10 million more US customers than ATT.

I'm surprised 14% are ATT switchers. I saw the surveys suggesting the number would be much higher, but all along I though it would be more like 5%.

Anyway, this news would be much worse for Verizon than Apple IMO.
    I thought my carrier was bad til I got a new web host

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast