+ Reply
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Testing Slide-Out iPhone 5? Really?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
A Taiwanese website that has a had a decent track record of verified iPhone leaks is claiming today that Apple is evaluating 3 different hardware prototypes of the iPhone 5,
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Testing Slide-Out iPhone 5? Really?

A Taiwanese website that has a had a decent track record of verified iPhone leaks is claiming today that Apple is evaluating 3 different hardware prototypes of the iPhone 5, one of them including a slide-out keyboard. The Google translation of the report on tw.Apple.pro is pretty hard to understand, but seems to indicate that in addition to the slide-out model, there will also be an updated "traditional" iPhone with minor under-the-hood improvements compared to the iPhone 4.

It's not clear from the googletrans what the phrase "sliding cover" refers to, but it may suggest a physical keyboard that slides out from the case. In addition to this model, Apple is supposedly testing an iPhone 5 that is styled like the iPhone 4 but with a longer-lasting battery and a better camera. Like the upgrade from the iPhone 3G to the iPhone 3GS, then, it would be an evolution rather than a redesign, which is in line with recent reports. There is no description at all of the third prototype, though this might refer to the "iPhone mini" that has generated so much buzz of late.

There are - obviously - a lot of things to question in this report. The iPhone's touchscreen is perhaps its most fundamental element, and so the idea of a slide-out keyboard pretty much flies in the face of Apple's whole design aesthetic. Steve Jobs explained back in 2007 why Apple decided not to put a keyboard on the iPhone, saying that once you do "it's there forever and [it's] hard to change the buttons to work with different applications." However, for some users learning to type on a touchscreen is a significant barrier, so it may be that Apple has decided to include this as sort of "training wheels" for those customers.

The report would be laughable if Apple.pro hadn't got it right on numerous occasions. In 2008, they showed off the unibody MacBook before it was released, and in July of last year revealed the small touchscreen which would eventually turn up in the new multitouch iPod nano months later. Last year, they previewed the white iPhone 4 bezel before the phone was even announced, and showed off an iPhone 4 battery in June. So this is not necessarily something you can laugh off... yet.

Source: AppleInsider

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (02-16-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone playboii's Avatar
    Thanks

a keyboard on a iphone will be the biggest fail so this is deff bullsh*t

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playboii For This Useful Post:

DRFP (02-19-2011), thetoothfairy (02-16-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Please don't let this be true!!! Slide out keyboard phones are awful! If it is true I just hope there's an option for with or without.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Patato22's Avatar
    Thanks

Ugly!!!!!!!!
    iPhone 4 Black 16GB JailBroken waiting for unlock

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Please no.

iPhone? More like MyPhone djgunner's Avatar
    Thanks

depends on how it's implemented.. if they can keep it slim enough I might like a real kb... I dunno.. I do like the minimalist sleekness of the current iphone but when I need to type more than a sentence or two on the virt kb it becomes a chore... or maybe I just suck at it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ewwwwwwwwwwwww

iPhone? More like MyPhone Thenextkiller's Avatar
    Thanks

the way it looks in this pic is sexy, But apple will never release this. The other rumors were easy to believe because we knew it was coming
    Am firin ma lasah

Thanks

The reason I got an iPhone was to do away with a physical keyboard. Oh Apple....

---------------------------------
    War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Green Apple
    Thanks

efffff that thing. ill stick w/the current design. either a iPhone 4 or even a 3Gs. thank you very much........off topic but i read a article on how the new ibooks will disable the ability to read books on a jailbroken device. be careful when updating iOS......

Thanks
    If you really want a keyboard on your iPhone you can buy a keyboard adapter. I don't want one and hope that this is only a rumor

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah... I call bullsh*t. If you couple this with the rumor about them removing the "Home" button, it makes absolutely no sense that they would add 50 some more buttons. Apple hates buttons... why would they invest so much time and money in Multi-Touch just to throw it all away with a bulky, dumb, slide-out keyboard?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drewstone View Post
    efffff that thing. ill stick w/the current design. either a iPhone 4 or even a 3Gs. thank you very much........off topic but i read a article on how the new ibooks will disable the ability to read books on a jailbroken device. be careful when updating iOS......
    I Thought that was for PDF's with passcodes on them.

Oh I saw that article now. My iBooks on 1.2.1 still works

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    I Thought that was for PDF's with passcodes on them.
    i dont know but this is from the article......

Hacker "Comex" of the iPhone Dev Team explained via Twitter how the new anti-jailbreak measure works: "It seems that before opening a DRMed book, iBooks drops an improperly signed binary, tries to execute it, and if it works concludes that the device is jailbroken and refuses to open the book."

Thanks

No doubt Apple has tried it, but it will never be sold.

Thanks

You know what I just noticed? Every writer BUT Messany is reporting nothing but rumors. Strange.

Thanks
    B.S. come on.. Dont believe everything you read people

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

there is all different prototypes but with all the touch based stuff that apple has, i doubt there will ever be production iphone with a keyboard.

Thanks

never...it goes against apples view on phones....they made the iphone to do away with buttons and a UI that can change....keyboards defeats that concept
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple WILL NEVER add a keyboard, did you not watch the 2007 presentation where Steve showed bottom half of phones with QWERTY keyboard and said how they are "fail" and you can't add a button etc

Funny thing is iOS keyboard hasn't changed at all...

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

+ Reply
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast