+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Nokia Receiving Billions From Microsoft to Push Adoption of Windows Phone Platform

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
^ this is a forum for the the iPhone, an apple device, but I've noticed that a lot of people here keep an open mind and are not fanboys. I
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

^ this is a forum for the the iPhone, an apple device, but I've noticed that a lot of people here keep an open mind and are not fanboys. I tried the samsung focus at an AT&T store and liked it. I only see good things coming from nokia/wp7.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's called a slotting fee

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ivanmack View Post
    This forum is too much apple fun boys.. But anyway Nokia has been my first phone and ill change my iphone/android for a good nokia based windows 7 phone on the day of release.

Its a good quality phone that i used years ago. And these days that camera behind a good OS like WIN 7 we have a win win for Nokia/MS at least in my book!

I had Nokia 8310, 3310, 3660... Can you hear me now?
    Last time I checked this was an Apple forum site, so yeah you might find some ppl who enjoy Apple on here...but we still have a lot of members who are open-minded as well.

In the past Nokia has made some great phones. They got left in the dust when its come to smartphones though, so this is a good move for them. They might actually get a good OS for their Sphones.

Thanks

Good move on the part of Microsoft! I have tested the Windows 7 phone. Very smooth when scrolling and great touch interface. I say the touch interface is second only to Apple at this time. Android should take notes on this one hahahaha!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 737 Posts

Isn't surprising in the least.
    My latest theme - -

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Unless WP7 undergoes some serious, sorely needed, improvements and changes it will still be a POS OS IMHO. While I don't own a WP7 device I have had some time to play with them. The UI is just horrible, it appears to be poorly thought out and at the conceptual level of a five year old. Why on earth do the tiles not occupy the entire screen? Seriously why is there an empty black area on the left side of the screen that only is home to an arrow to the next page? Similarly a number of tiles may be visible with maybe 30% of content from the next page also being visible. This is by no means a smooth, polished or pretty interface. The layout is horrible, quite frankly, even with all of it's shortcomings, symbian had a better layout. I personally would have loved to have seen MeeGo evolve into something. I'm also not even mentioning the missing features in WP7 like copy/paste amongst others that are essential and considered basic in today's smartphone market. It's hard to say whether or not this will prove to be a profitable move for Nokia in the long term. It certainly won't hurt MS. The sad part is, with this decision, Nokia is now alienating it's long time userbase and developers. At least with MeeGo Nokia had developed QT to ease the transition for it's loyal developers. Hopefully they will do the same in an effort to retain those very same devs. If not there will be a mass exodus of long time loyal symbian developers to iOS and Android, a phenomenon that has already began. In that scenario Nokia will be relying on interest from the dev community in WP7(which is pretty low at this point) as opposed to bringing existing devs with them. As far as consumers and perhaps more consequently enterprise will be negatively impacted by this. After all the money that corporations may have invested in a Nokia ecosystem they will be left with essentially nothing and will likely adopt BlackBerry, iOS and if google can get it together, Android. At least with MeeGo it seemed as if Nokia was trying facilitate a seamless transition for devs and endusers alike. For all of those say that they have bought Nokia for their "quality hardware" is probably the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. I don't care how good the hardware may be, if the software does not integrate well with it and at least offer a half decent user experience then what's the point? So you can say "I spent $700 on this excellent piece of hardware but it doesn't do anything of value!" seriously people! I buy the iPhone for the complete opposite reason. It may not always be on the bleeding edge in terms of let's say CPU performance they offer an integrated user experience that is second to none, though I must say the iPhone 4 is an excellent piece of hardware all around!. That being said if I couldn't jailbreak I'd be on android in a heartbeat! I guess only time will tell if this was indeed a wise move on Nokia's behalf. I can say that WP7 is way way behind in the mobile game. Perhaps M$ will allow Nokia to contribute on the software side, either way I'm sure this will be a big win for M$. The question is will it be a win for Nokia too?

Green Apple
    Thanks

WP7 *is* undergoing some serious, sorely needed improvements and changes. You'll have to wait and see. (Sooo much else wrong with that post but I've just finished work so I'll ignore the bait.)

Thanks

This MS-Nokia thing will be just like the xBox: MS will bleed money from their other divisions to prop this up until they can buy their way into market-leader status.

Thanks

Anyone whos owned a windows mobile device will agree that wp7 is the right direction for MS. And the stock look of the wp7 OS is far more eye catching than the iphones!! Come on now.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    I've never purchased a Nokia phone before and I sure as hell won't purchase one running any version of Windows on it.
    I'm sorry you are so unwilling to try new things.

I'll be watching this partnership very closely. I used to love Nokia, until their software went to crap. They make some of the best phones on the planet, and pairing with Windows WILL give them a chance to win me back.

Unlike so many Apple Fanboys, I actually don't NEED an iPhone, I just need a phone that does what the iPhone does... Without glitchiness.

For now, I stay with iPhone, but you better believe I'll be grabbing one of these to play with as a backup, and possible replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shinygerbil View Post
    I don't feel that there are really any ethics to call into question here. It's a business deal. MS need hardware support and Nokia need software support.

Let's just hope that people can look at the resulting products and judge them according to their merit. Things are certainly hotting up - and with Android continuing to achieve higher standards of polish, who knows what the future will hold?
    True. There is no merging involved and they are not paying off every phone maker either which would fall into a monopoly type law.
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Thanks

Default Sell Out!
    Nokia is a straight sell out! I had my bags pack'd ready to leave Apple for Meego! Both Android and iOS has been out for a while. I'm ready to try something new. I should have never put my hopes on the N9!

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

This is going to be a great partnership. The world's leading phone manufacturer with an awesome OS. It will get better and better. Just look at iOS. When it was released it was laughable and now it is rockin. Android and Apple better be paying attention.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default What Nokia did can prove to be a huge success......
    It would be a great success if Nokia pulls this off. May be Nokia is planning to use Qt for WP7 and shock the competitors out there with huge success. If that happens that would be the biggest success story ever.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12