Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Doubles Orders for MacBooks

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Doubles Orders for MacBooks

At a time when notebook sales are flat or declining, Apple is increasing orders for new MacBooks from its suppliers... in some cases doubling production to keep up with demand. That's the word from suppliers in East Asia, as reported by the Taiwan publication DigiTimes. The news comes as CNET reports that the new MacBook Air is expected to get a refresh in June with a speed bump courtesy of new Sandy Bridge processors from Intel.

Along with the ongoing economic slowdown and increased demand for smartphones and tablets, computer makers worldwide have seen slumping demand for notebooks. DigiTimes reports that apart from Apple, only Samsung has increased orders to the notebook upstream supply chain, possibly for its new MacBook Air-like 9 Series superlight laptop. Apple credited the Air for much of its record 4.13 million Mac sales increase in the first fiscal quarter of 2011 (which, for whatever obscure financial reason, ended on December 25, 2010), while all other manufacturers saw sales decrease. Acer, for example, reported its lowest notebook shipment numbers in six quarters in the fourth quarter of 2010.

The DigiTimes report did not specify which models are getting the increase. Speculation centers around the MacBook Pro, however, which is expected to be radically redesigned for 2011 with a solid state drive like the MacBook Air's, and a next-generation Core processor based on Intel's Sandy Bridge architecture. Also in the pipeline is a 2011 update to the MacBook Air: CNET quotes "a source familiar with Apple's plans" as saying that this year's model will also get a Sandy Bridge CPU. That would be a welcome upgrade, as currently-shipping models come with CPUs in the same Core 2 Duo family that MacBook Airs originally shipped with in early 2008.

Source: MacRumors

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I don't know how much faster my MBA could be. The SSD makes it screaming fast for what I use it for which is mainly web, email, MS Office, jailbreaking.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I don't know how much faster my MBA could be. The SSD makes it screaming fast for what I use it for which is mainly web, email, MS Office, jailbreaking.

Agreed. I use a lot of the Macromedia suite along with XCode on my MBA too for web programming and some development and the SSD makes it very snappy. MBPro would be obviously somewhat faster but overall I love my Air.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

I would welcome a SSD in my MacBook Pro, that would be sweet!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

It'll be nice to have Sandy Bridge in the MBP, but even nicer to have Ivy Bridge, but we'll have to wait at least another year for that

If Apple keeps the same pricing that they have now for all the new MBP's and makes the SSD standard I'll be ok with it! However if it raises the price up a great deal I'll be mad...I'll still buy, but I won't be happy about it

For the amount a 17 inch MPB costs, it should come standard with an SSD. There's no excuse for a computer that price to have crappy HDD in them, it's supposedly a 'premium' product. The next MacBooks really need better graphics parts because they are abysmal right now, and Apple really needs to step out of the way and let someone who has a clue write the graphics drivers for them.
    HK-Z on Game Center

I was hoping for a macbook/tablet hybrid. You know, fun touch screen and iOS apps by day, Xcode and Adobe CS5 by night.

I looked at the specs for the current MBP's and they offer 3 SSD's now- 128, 256 and 512GB. I suppose the newer proc and better graphics would be even better.

I just don't get it. Why would anyone pay that price for a Logo and OS. Why not save a grand or more & run a virtual machine? There are plenty of laptops with way better specs for a lot less money.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cokeman For This Useful Post:

DRFP (02-11-2011)

Thats true, but macs are known to last

Last to any windows pc
    Lol true
    I bought a windows laptop about 3 years ago for 1000+$ , a week after the year warranty ended the battery died, month after the hard drive crashed.
    So I went out and bought a MacBook, have never had a problem with it to this date.

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    I just don't get it. Why would anyone pay that price for a Logo and OS. Why not save a grand or more & run a virtual machine? There are plenty of laptops with way better specs for a lot less money.
    Think more before you write/say something...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to infire For This Useful Post:

moon#pie (02-11-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
    Last as to what? In less then a year the tech is usually outdated..... this is true with all laptops.

Intel has a road map to 64 cores.
    I love it how people just think about HW when talking about apple products, and forget completely that what the OS does with the HW is what determines how it will run.

Twitter: @tshoults

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    I got an inch thick laptop that has a vastly better 1920x1200 17 inch screen, 6+ hour battery life, plays Steam games at a pretty decent clip, I can run two OSes if I want, I've got access to the best customer support in consumer electronics, the best trackpad on any portable computer, and it weighs less than seven pounds with phenomenal build quality. None of those are true of ANY laptop by any other manufacturer. That's why I paid a grand more. Not for a light up logo and an OS. Raw specs don't tell you anything. It's the same way with megapixels. You get what you pay for with an Apple laptop, no other manufacturer comes close in any of those categories, much less as a whole package. The only gripe I've got is crappy graphics parts and graphics drivers in MacBooks. Though I can play most games at fairly high settings without problems. Hell, I can play StarCraft 2 in W7 with medium everything at native res and get just, an I mean just, under two hours off the internal battery. Show me a Dell/HP/Acer/ASUS/Gateway that can do that. You'd be lucky to have the battery in those last you 12 months before they only have a 30 minutes charge. A year later my 17" MBP has 92% of it battery life left. In 12 months I had replaced my HP dv9008's battery twice because it would only last 18 minutes unplugged.
    HK-Z on Game Center

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    I got an inch thick laptop that has a vastly better 1920x1200 17 inch screen, 6+ hour battery life, plays Steam games at a pretty decent clip, I can run two OSes if I want, I've got access to the best customer support in consumer electronics, the best trackpad on any portable computer, and it weighs less than seven pounds with phenomenal build quality. None of those are true of ANY laptop by any other manufacturer. That's why I paid a grand more. Not for a light up logo and an OS. Raw specs don't tell you anything. It's the same way with megapixels. You get what you pay for with an Apple laptop, no other manufacturer comes close in any of those categories, much less as a whole package. The only gripe I've got is crappy graphics parts and graphics drivers in MacBooks. Though I can play most games at fairly high settings without problems. Hell, I can play StarCraft 2 in W7 with medium everything at native res and get just, an I mean just, under two hours off the internal battery. Show me a Dell/HP/Acer/ASUS/Gateway that can do that. You'd be lucky to have the battery in those last you 12 months before they only have a 30 minutes charge. A year later my 17" MBP has 92% of it battery life left. In 12 months I had replaced my HP dv9008's battery twice because it would only last 18 minutes unplugged.
    ^^^What he said!! I dont game on my MacBook Pro, but the battery life is amazing. I am rockin the 15" Late 2008 Model and at full charge it lasts about 4 hours. Show me a PC laptop that gets anywhere near that. The trackpad is amazing, backlit keyboard is standard on the Pro which is another great feature. Plus the smoothness of OSX i never have any problems with it, i never have to wait for something to open and rarely have any programs error out which is a very common thing on windows PC. I have never had my MAC crash which is also quite common on a PC. Mac FTW

^This. And don't call me a fanboy, cause I'm not. If samsung or sony or windows became better than apple, I would switch.

Twitter: @tshoults

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    I have never had my MAC crash which is also quite common on a PC. Mac FTW
    I've been using Windows 7 since 2008 and I have never has it crash on me, my computer has only rarely had any hardware problems. In my experience Mac's are just as buggy as PC's and there programes crash just as often. Try using the two lastest versions of each machine and software side by side and you will not notice much difference. I'm not a Apple or Microsoft Fanboy, I hate ever operating system.

That seems weird ... Apple better think to lower down the Macbooks Cost to increase the demand rather than production.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I work on campus doing IT and about 80% of the calls we get are to fix comps running Windows. And we have a pretty good split between Mac and PC being used. I've been using Mac for a long time, but seeing all the issues ppl have with PC reaffirms my choice.

That's not to say I don't like Windows, I use it every so often, but ppl wonder why we pay the money that we do for a Mac...for me that's one reason, but there are many more!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post

Show me a Dell/HP/Acer/ASUS/Gateway that can do that.
    Who is this 'gateway' that you speak of? Baahahahahaaa

Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post

2. This is the problem with PC's too many and some produce pure crap I agree. Apple does use top quality materials and methods, when the PC manufacturers do this the prices are similar to Apple's
    You look at how many schmoe's sell Windows OS based laptops compared to Apple and you will see quality issues. The Windows OS based garbage is just that. Low end HW looking for a few $$ in their pockets. Now, How many places can you get a brand new Mac?? The aforementioned "gateway" was good at gimmicks as well. And i'll say it straight, their pc's were GARBAGE! Overpriced trash.
    Last edited by Snozberries; 02-12-2011 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "they're trashing our rights. hack the planet!"

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Snozberries For This Useful Post:

DRFP (02-12-2011)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast