+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Working on Smaller, Cheaper iPhone to Compete with Android

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Apple Working on Smaller, Cheaper iPhone to Compete with Android

Apple is said to be working on a new smaller, less expensive version of the iPhone, according to a new report from Bloomberg today. This new model would be in the $200 range and be about a third smaller than the current iPhone 4. With a lower price point, cellular providers could then give customers the choice of either paying for the phone at full price without a contract or give the phone away for free with a two-year contract.

Currently, Apple has 16 percent of the global mobile market share, while rival Googleís market share has more than tripled to 32.9 percent in the fourth quarter. With a new low-cost iPhone, Apple hopes to increase its overall market share worldwide and surpass Google in the process.

Apple is said to be developing an iPhone that can access multiple wireless networks. This dual-mode iPhone would be compatible with both GSM and CDMA wireless standards and be able to work internationally as well.

It is also widely believed that Apple is developing a universal SIM card that would give users the option of choosing cellular networks with an app installed the phone. This technology would allow users to switch networks without having to change SIM cards manually. Itís thought that Apple hopes to cut costs associated with the distribution and management of SIM cards worldwide.

This new mini iPhone is by no means a sure thing, however, as Apple has a history of developing prototype devices then scrapping them along the way. The prototype is also said to be missing the home button according to reports.

CEO Steve Jobs may be on sick leave at the moment, but that hasnít stopped him from making strategic decisions while heís away. Heís said to be working from home, but he has been seen on the Apple campus now and again. Itís a safe bet that heís keeping a close eye on the latest iPad and iPhone versions due later this year. COO Tim Cook has been handling the day-to-day operations while Steve is away. This may actually give Steve more time to oversee the development of the next couple of iOS devices and iron out any wrinkles before they are released. Hopefully, heís getting some rest and not working too hard while heís recuperating though.

Source: Bloomberg
    Last edited by Wiley John Wright; 02-11-2011 at 03:46 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wiley John Wright For This Useful Post:

ipirate (02-11-2011), reaves205 (02-11-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I can hear my children now...Can I please have the Mini I?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

zeroGsti (02-11-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    I can hear my children now...Can I please have the Mini I?
    hahahahah true

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bmasti For This Useful Post:

zeroGsti (02-11-2011)

Thanks

A smaller iPhone could be kinda cool/cute but only 1/3 of the original size? That's like going from an iPod to a iPod nano...that just seems like it would be way to small. I wouldn't go any smaller then a 3" screen, otherwise you might as well get a BlackBerry then!
    "Don't hold it like that!"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dayvidpriddy For This Useful Post:

Snozberries (02-11-2011)

Thanks

This article is misleading at best. Apple's market share is a solid 16% by ONE company for both OS and handset. Google may have 32% by OS, but the devices are scattered across multiple handset makers. I guess that's the benefit of giving your OS away for free.

Not saying the android OS isn't good, just that this article leaves out that small, but important detail.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ReggieSmith For This Useful Post:

Snozberries (02-11-2011)

Banned
    Thanks

Y do you even talk about bloomberg, they are a terrbile source. Last January, they thought the verizon iPhone would come out in the fall. And what are you actually tellin us in this? We already know all these things from previous articles, and in case you didnt know, the verizon iPhone chip can do dualmode.

A mini iPhone is about the worst idea I ever heard. IT WILL NEVER, EVER HAPPEN.

You know, sometimes I feel like u ppl just find some trash to talk about that we already know or isn't true, just so u can churn out 4 articles a day. How about a quality report!", modmyi!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheJailbreakGenius View Post
    Y do you even talk about bloomberg, they are a terrbile source. Last January, they thought the verizon iPhone would come out in the fall. And what are you actually tellin us in this? We already know all these things from previous articles, and in case you didnt know, the verizon iPhone chip can do dualmode.

A mini iPhone is about the worst idea I ever heard. IT WILL NEVER, EVER HAPPEN.

You know, sometimes I feel like u ppl just find some trash to talk about that we already know or isn't true, just so u can churn out 4 articles a day. How about a quality report!", modmyi!
    They do it just for the lulz.

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi
    No confundas mi personalidad con mi actitud. Mi personalidad es quien soy yo, mi actitud depende de quien seas tķ.

Thanks

I dont think this mini iPhone would ever be made. Apple would have to take away some features and if that happened, it would cease to be an iPhone. Although, this sounds like it would be perfect for children and Verizon customers who only care about making phone calls 

iPhone? More like MyPhone scottw03's Avatar
    Thanks

A smaller iphone but not a smaller ipad?

I know that I would probably still go with the 10" ipad regardless since I just looked at one not long ago and it seemed to be small enough to do what I want without being too bulky. But it would be nice for people to have a selection for those that want something smaller like the Galaxy Tab versus ipad. I would have to actually try out a smaller ipad to decide if I could live with it being smaller.

As for the possiblity of a smaller iphone........I can't really see why. The current one is small enough compared to a lot of the competition that is out there. Most of the competition is 3.5"+ in size. going smaller will kind of limit some of the cool functions of the iphone like web surfing (I already find it hard enough to view my 3.5" screen while reading websites (hurry up ipad 2 and come out!!!)) Or watching a movie. Watching youtube videos. playing games on the phone. Try getting your fingers to fit on a smaller screen and still be able to see the screen enough to play. Typing out text messages on a keyboard that will be smaller on the screen. I am sure there are things I am missing.

iPhone? More like MyPhone buttamix's Avatar
    Thanks

I really don't see the need of a smaller iPhone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Great.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's about time. I mean the iPhone is worth the money (watch a debate develop now), but Apple really did need too consider the people who couldn't afford a $200 phone. It might have took longer than need, but I guess they did it.
    And Steve Jobs said "Let there be light... and lets put that into an app also"

Green Apple
    Thanks

Excuse me, I read it wrong, it seems the new model is $200, I still think that's a little too pricey but at least they give you payment options.

Thanks

it does not make sense maybe in the US but around the world I think it would

Thanks

people who spam will get posts deleted...

now i can see this not working. how much smaller can an iphone really get....and be hard to use...especially a touch keyboard.
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Maybe it won't be too much smaller, I'm sure Apple would have had that in mine, just watch if it does come out I bet it won't be that much of a difference.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The article says 1/3 smaller, NOT 1/3 the size. I would assume that means the face area would be 66.6% the size of a current iPhone. Which means each side would possibly be .816 as long as the current iPhone. If it was 1/3 smaller by volume that number would be even higher.

Use your friggin' calculators, people!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnnytucats For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (02-11-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Give me two, to go...
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayvidpriddy View Post
    A smaller iPhone could be kinda cool/cute but only 1/3 of the original size? That's like going from an iPod to a iPod nano...that just seems like it would be way to small. I wouldn't go any smaller then a 3" screen, otherwise you might as well get a BlackBerry then!
    No, will be "about a third smaller than the current iPhone 4", so that's 2/3 of the original size.

I don't think that would be a smart move of apple.
    If they would sell an iPhone 5 and a "iPhone mini", nobody would
    buy the way too expensive iPhone 5 anymore.

Hmm. Should I wait a bit longer to replace my ancient Nokia mobile...
    Last edited by harmycl; 02-11-2011 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

I wouldn't want a mini iPhone
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

27. The Following User Says Thank You to whereswaldo For This Useful Post:

LamboFan (02-11-2011)

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast