+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: German Researchers Highlight Security Threats of Jailbreaking

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Can u jailbreak a locked iPhone?
    My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks

I guess jailbreaks should start requiring you to enter the password if that's possible.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by msquared View Post
    Like it's been said we all know of these risks and I'm not sure about these mods that were mentioned the PDF is the only one I have heard about unless there private in which case SHARE MAN SHARE lol
    I think the guy was saying it was possible, not that it's been done or he knows how.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    Yes

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh no, someone is going to steal the pictures of my dog, What will I do !!!

Not to mention that ANY phone can be hacked by someone with the right skill !!!

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    Really ... Did you really just ask that, Did you not watch the video?
    Last edited by santacruzlocal; 02-10-2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone bigbaba's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnr9412 View Post
    I don't know if this is just me, but I hold on to my technology with an iron grip! Nobody touches it unless I want them to. So I guess I have no worries
    Until a band of trained ninjas break into your house at night to steal your iphone

Quote Originally Posted by Bluestang9450 View Post
    What are these mods ur referring to?
    You could start by installing SSH yourself and changing your root password...
    Last edited by bigbaba; 02-10-2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Bad article headline/title.

They did not highlight the security threats of jailbreaking.

They used the same voulnerabilities used by jailbreaking (which exist in all iPhones) to highlight the security risk of using an iPhone to connect to other systems.

So if you have an iPhone - and they get physical access to it - you are at risk. It has nothing to do with jailbreaking.

If you have an iPhone and you don't have any passwords stored in it, such as for wifi, email, or VPN - then all they get is your iPhone and the pictures of your dog.

If you have an iPhone and you have set up email, VPN, wifi, and other services then you are at a higher risk - as they can get your pictures of your dog AND access to your email, servers, encrypted data, etc etc...

But like others have said - this exploit requires PHYSICAL ACCESS. The only real noteworthy thing is that it can be accomplished in 6 minutes. If someone has access to a device they can hack it eventually. What this shows is that they can hack it *quickly*.

Leave your iPhone on your desk while you go to a meeting or to lunch? Someone could hack it while you were gone.

Leave your iPhone in your hotel room while you go for a swim? Someone could hack it while you are gone.

Forget your iPhone at a restaurant and remember half way back to work? Someone could hack it before you get back.

The real issue here is *not* jailbreaking. The issue is that the iPhone keychain (which relies on the same basic model as on Mac OSX) is not locked with your iPhone passcode. The keychain on the iPhone is locked using information physically on the device - so it is easily discoverable. Apple could EASILY fix this (or at least make it much harder/slower) by making the iPhone keychain system utilize your passcode in it's encryption.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to valkraider For This Useful Post:

DaCodec (02-10-2011), lightmaster (02-10-2011), Taranis17 (02-10-2011)

Thanks

Nothing new but a lot more bancking apps on all phones not just the Iphone. All are in the same boat.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I always knew that you could do that...its kinda old news. I just wish i new more abour security script that way before i sold mine i could manually delete "risky" information

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I don't really need to worry about this.

First, of all the people I know with an iPhone I don't know anyone who has had an iPhone stolen (I've heard of it, but don't know any victims personally).

Second, IF (and that's a big "if") my iPhone gets stolen, the chances of the thief actually knowing how to jailbreak and gain access to the passwords is incredibly slim.

I have a better chance of being murdered for my fake rolex than someone stealing my iPhone and getting my passwords.
    Exactly lol.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    The funny thing is that you can fix this security flaw by jailbreaking your device and installing some modifications.
    it would be great if you explain how man coz that would help alot of us....

Thanks

Same thing can happen on your mac or any computer......

Green Apple
    Thanks

The researchers gained access by jailbreaking the phone and installing OpenSSH. Changing your root password would make it MUCH harder to access your data.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

If you're storing passwords and other sensitive info on your iPhone and leave your phone lying around out in the open for anyone to grab, then you deserve to have your info stolen...these "Germans" wasted a lot of time on nothing.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bluestang9450 View Post
    Release antidote and all our problems solved
    How?! That means you're device would have to be jailbroken already to install it and that would be one less step for the hacker!

Quote Originally Posted by egarc View Post
    The researchers gained access by jailbreaking the phone and installing OpenSSH. Changing your root password would make it MUCH harder to access your data.
    Or you could use diskaid or iPhoneexplorer which requires just a USB connection for ssh and no password so you're still f*cked.
    Last edited by Antman217; 02-10-2011 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fbiryujin View Post
    "Once you have physical access to a device, security is ALWAYS compromised."
    -Any security analyst

The above quote applies to every electronic device, whether it is an iPhone, Android phone, tablet device, police radio (yes those hold secret data), computer, etc...
    This article is nothing newsworthy. I keep as little personal data as possible on my phone, and I am always prepared to remote wipe.
    So true man, can't do much once they have it
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fbiryujin View Post
    This article is nothing newsworthy.
    Didn't check who the writer was huh?
    HK-Z on Game Center

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Good guide about how to hack an iPhone if you find one.... Stupid
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Antman217 View Post
    How?! That means you're device would have to be jailbroken already to install it and that would be one less step for the hacker!

Or you could use diskaid or iPhoneexplorer which requires just a USB connection for ssh and no password so you're still f*cked.
    yea, but what chance is there that the "hacker" A: knows about the programs and B: has a friggin dock cable if he's stealing a iphone and never had one! and i know what you're going to say: he might have a dock cable from a ipod he has. well, lets face it. i don't think a guy idiotic enough to steal a iphone would even have or know how to use a ipod.
    Last edited by psp257; 02-10-2011 at 03:17 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Something you guys aren't considering. If you can't get to a computer(or more specifically, YOUR computer) in 6 minutes or let's be generous and say 10 minutes then it doesn't matter if you have MobileMe or not. Plus like someone else said once you pull the sim out or turn the phone off MobileMe won't do anything and then you're free to devise a way to turn it on and have it not be able to acquire a signal thus rendering MobileMe useless yet again.

Another thing, people can't SSH into your phone wirelessly without your root password and you also would have to leave SSH on which most of us turn off with SBSettings since it eats up the battery anyway. Diskaid and iphoneexplorer only work if someone physically has your phone. In other words guys, this is nothing to worry about.
    Last edited by alexevo; 02-10-2011 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost