Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's Gains Are Sony's, Motorola's Losses

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Apple's Gains Are Sony's, Motorola's Losses

According to the latest data from research firm Gartner, Apple's 2010 smartphone gains translated to corresponding losses for smartphone makers Sony Ericsson and Motorola. On Wednesday, Gartner published it's findings, which noted that worldwide handset sales to end users rose 32% in 2010 to 1.6 billion units. In particular, however, smartphone sales spiked 72% from a year earlier (reaching 297 million units), a growth spurt largely cultivated by the ten-fold increase in sales for Android-based devices.

But as the Wall Street Journal observes this morning, "the wider availability of the iPhone 4" helped Apple secure a 16% share of the smartphone market in the fourth quarter, an expansive gain for the company that Gartner says comes at the expense of Sony Ericsson and Motorola. Both phone makers saw their market shares and unit sales fall for 2010. Apple, meanwhile, crept in to become the world's No. 5 device maker for 2010, selling better than 46 million iPhones. Placing ahead of Apple were Nokia, Samsung, LG Electronics, and RIM.

Gartner credits Apple's 87% year-over-year growth last year to Cupertino's aggressive expansion of the iPhone into new countries and territories. It's also important to note that Apple's market share climbed this dramatically in the absence of the device on Verizon in the US. Consequently, Apple's market share in the US and around the world is set to explode in the next ten months. For the time being, however, the iPhone is still available through nearly 200 communication service providers across the globe.

Wall Street Journal
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 02-09-2011 at 12:53 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Thanks

iP5 will crush this once and for all. Bring on the iP5 World!!
    "they're trashing our rights. hack the planet!"

The only way I'm gonna be a loyal apple iPhone owner is if the iPhone 5 has lightscribe

Lol@ dj. Bring on the iPhone 5 and watch android crumble

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

I hope it don't have a 3D screen, or if it does... Have a way to turn it off.

I HATE apple the company, I HATE there computers, I HATE there Mac os, BUT!.......

I LOVE the iPhone platform & that's why I'm here.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hogcia For This Useful Post:

bojew (02-09-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    I HATE apple the company, I HATE there computers, I HATE there Mac os, BUT!.......

lolk

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post

im glad someone sees it the same way i do. i hate apple i just love IOS

Quote Originally Posted by bojew View Post
    Yep

I to hate the way apple does business but I love they're products

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DJ NiveK View Post
    The only way I'm gonna be a loyal apple iPhone owner is if the iPhone 5 has lightscribe
    Lol that would be cool

But now with verizon apples is only going to gain more ground, and if they have something special for iPhone 5 then forget it, hopefully it's not just an upgraded iPhone 4
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Quote Originally Posted by bojew View Post
    Ya know it's ironic but not bad that there are people that hate everything about Apple minus iOS here. It's kind of weird as I was never a smartphone user before the iPhone but I've been using Macs since before OS 7! I always loved NeXT too and OS X has been amazing to/for me for a decade! I guess to each his/her own... I do commend Apple for iOS, it has changed the market... I must say that I couldn't use it if I couldn't jailbreak though I would never use android if I couldn't root and make it vanilla! It's sad to me that android users(especially ones that root) can't see that we all need to "jailbreak" or "root" whether it's a carrier or OEM restriction!

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

I passed on the ip4 in hopes the next iPhone would have 4g,I think Ill pass on the ip5 unless its 4g compatible.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Too bad ppl hate Apple just to hate. They obviously make great products, their numbers show that every year. Just because you like to use something else doesn't mean you have to hate the one you don't use.

Sony and Moto are great companies and have excellent products. Maybe this will make them want to create something to beat what's out there!

Thanks

^ I completely agree with you. I was on an android site and it had an post about android being the most used OS currently and an iFan started blasting android and of course some fandroid people were more than happy the blast iPhone. In the end all of the competition between phone makers just means a better product for the consumer

16. The Following User Says Thank You to iPittsburgh For This Useful Post:

DRFP (02-09-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPittsburgh View Post
    ^ I completely agree with you. I was on an android site and it had an post about android being the most used OS currently and an iFan started blasting android and of course some fandroid people were more than happy the blast iPhone. In the end all of the competition between phone makers just means a better product for the consumer
    +1
    Well said!
    There's no need to hate other companies just because we don't use their stuff.

I often go into an ATT store to check out the other phones in person. I like to try other phones out all the time. I actually tweeted, before our news post on it, about the dual screen one the other day about how I would like to try it out if it wasn't on Sprint.

Thanks

Im holding out for the iPhone5 on one of my lines and really hoping its 4g capable, but if not I may look into the motorola atrix 4g but Im gonna try it out at an att store beforehand, because its gonna take an awesome phone to pull me away from an iPhone.

According to reps at my local AT&T store, the i5 will be 4g compatible.
    Neo Style by k.nitsua....early front runner for THEME OF THE YEAR

Now in a dead heat with liveOS c/o bluemetal....

Let us all welcome the newest fighter to the TOTY ring...iNavHD c/o reeco