+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon iPhone Antenna Attenuation Issues

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by bigorangekitty "Can you hear me now?" lol. LOLOL. New commercials on the horizon, funny ones at that.
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigorangekitty View Post
    "Can you hear me now?"

lol.

LOLOL. New commercials on the horizon, funny ones at that.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by orozcoj4 View Post
    Really? I mean really? If you try hard enough I'm sure you can make any cell phone lose signal. I don't like covering up my iP4's sexy design but I'd rather protect my phone with a case rather than trying to impress people by showing them I have an iPhone. Put a bumper on it and move on.
    And that's you personal preference. But to be fair, you don't really have to try hard at all to lose signal with the iPhone 4! Just touching the antenna even slightly causes signal loss. No one should have to buy a case to use a phone the way it was meant to be used.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

All you posters can justify what you want, but bad design is still bad design. Yes the phone is sexy. So is a ferrari. I wouldn't want my ferrari losing speed for a second or two if I touched the steering wheel the wrong way. Despite what Apple says, I have yet to replicate an issue like this while completely covering up various phones (and I mean completely, not just touching my finger to the phone's achilles heel), including older versions of the iPhone, Android devices, etc. Please quit regurgetating the BS answers that Apple gives to protect their own @$$es and use some common sense. This is a desgin flaw, no matter how small you think it may be and DOES effect some people. I don't happen to be one of those people who is effected by it since I don't hold it that way, but far be it from me (or anyeone) to tell you that you are holding the phone wrong. THat is ludicrous!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The iPhone is not the only phone effected by the death grip all phone that have the anteanna built in react in a similar way. The bumbers are not a solution the the iPhones signal loss. they were only given out by apple because so many people were claiming that it help with getting better reception when in reality it does nothing to help, it just makes they user feel better about it. on the iPhone the entire metal case surrounding the phone is the antenna. I'm holding it with out a case an touching the antenna and I have signal. I think the flaw are the customers that are unrealistic about what is possible with antennas when they are built into the phone.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    Does anyone actually hold their iPhone like that?
    We were just having this conversation at work, we couldn't think of anyone that holds their phone like that. Whatever though...welcome to the club lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thestreetsla View Post
    The only solution to the antenna issue is to add an antenna like the old phones the very unattractive flimsy antennas.
    No, just no... If you truly believe the only way they can fix this problem is by externalizing the antenna, I don't know what to tell you. Apple made a cost analysis on redisigning the case I am sure. It wouldn't have been profitable to release a modified iPhone 4 case, plain and simple. You can bet the case will be changed for the next version and not have these issues. Of course this will then be called a revoltionary new feature that nobody has ever done before. I mean according to Apple, ALL phones have this problem, right?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    All you posters can justify what you want, but bad design is still bad design. Yes the phone is sexy. So is a ferrari. I wouldn't want my ferrari losing speed for a second or two if I touched the steering wheel the wrong way. Despite what Apple says, I have yet to replicate an issue like this while completely covering up various phones (and I mean completely, not just touching my finger to the phone's achilles heel), including older versions of the iPhone, Android devices, etc. Please quit regurgetating the BS answers that Apple gives to protect their own @$$es and use some common sense. This is a desgin flaw, no matter how small you think it may be and DOES effect some people. I don't happen to be one of those people who is effected by it since I don't hold it that way, but far be it from me (or anyeone) to tell you that you are holding the phone wrong. THat is ludicrous!
    I've been able to do the deathgrip on at least 2 other smartphones running Android, one of them was the Nexus One.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    I've been able to do the deathgrip on at least 2 other smartphones running Android, one of them was the Nexus One.
    And somehow this translates to all, right? Based on what Apple said, it does...
    Last edited by sziklassy; 02-09-2011 at 09:27 AM.

Thanks

And somehow this translates to all, right? Based on what Apple said, it does...
    No justifying needed if it happens on other smartphones as well. I guess Apple's not the only one with the design flaw...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    No justifying needed of it happens on other smartphones as well. I guess Apple's not the only one with the design flaw...
    And that's fine. Not here to defend any single phone, maker, or OS. If this happens this easily on ANY PHONE it is a design flaw, plain and simple. I am willing to admit that. Is everyone else?

Thanks

And that's fine. Not here to defend any single phone, maker, or OS. If this happens this easily on ANY PHONE it is a design flaw, plain and simple. I am willing to admit that. Is everyone else?
    Definitely Shouldn't have to deal with that from any phone.

Thanks

I lmao at how many fanboys there are defending the hell out of this..oh no not apple the best phone ever!!!!11!1!! .. People need to stop blowing Steve jobs

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Jesus ******* Christ, the fact so many tech sites are reporting this ******** is a complete abomination.

There are TWO "issues" with the original iPhone 4's antennae. The first - the one shown in this video - is the one that's shared amongst pretty much every smartphone. Cover the antennae, you lose signal. Shocking.

However, the second issue is the one that was more concerning, and the one that Apple pretty much ignored. That was the "if you touch this one spot on the phone with just one finger, your signal will drop." THIS is the issue that really sparked "Antennaegate", and THIS was the iPhone 4-specific design flaw. So far, I haven't seen any videos of anyone trying this with the Verizon iPhone - not to say it doesn't exist, of course - but the fact that so many tech sites (iLounge, Gizmodo, and now Modmyi) are incorrectly reporting this is - frankly - embarrassing.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You buy an IPhone hoping to be able to use it as a phone in addition to all the other cool stuff you can do with it. I'm in the middle of town at my house and I have 1/2 bar of reception. My 3G was better than that! Too bad we can't use our phones as phones!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silellak View Post
    Jesus ******* Christ, the fact so many tech sites are reporting this ******** is a complete abomination.

There are TWO "issues" with the original iPhone 4's antennae. The first - the one shown in this video - is the one that's shared amongst pretty much every smartphone. Cover the antennae, you lose signal. Shocking.

However, the second issue is the one that was more concerning, and the one that Apple pretty much ignored. That was the "if you touch this one spot on the phone with just one finger, your signal will drop." THIS is the issue that really sparked "Antennaegate", and THIS was the iPhone 4-specific design flaw. So far, I haven't seen any videos of anyone trying this with the Verizon iPhone - not to say it doesn't exist, of course - but the fact that so many tech sites (iLounge, Gizmodo, and now Modmyi) are incorrectly reporting this is - frankly - embarrassing.

I didn't see the Lord walk in here

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No defending apple, I had the same issue with my blackberry. I just don't want to see all these phone companies revert to the use of those lame antennas, because I don't see an issue with the current design. if I were to see a significant difference then an antenna change would be the best option but in this case it's not. It's just to many people maki g a big deal about nothing.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

HERES A SIMPLE SOLUTION! stop holding it with your left hand

Green Apple
    Thanks

Really... what the hell is wrong with people? DON'T HOLD YOUR PHONE LIKE A CAVEMAN. I mean seriously. He covers all 4 antenna spots with his hands, you have to be trying to cover them to achieve this type of reduction.

And do all those people who said "Apple didn't fix my issue, blah blah blah". They did. How quickly we forget that the AT&T iphone 4 signal issues were for losing bars and signal, specifically dropped calls. This video doesn't mention anything about dropped calls, only 3g data loss. His signal bars don't even attenuate at all. I bet he still gets "edge" data when that happens.

3G signal is seriously weak. No matter what phone you have. Haven't you noticed how 3G dissipates when inside a building, or under a garage or something? That's exactly what he's proving here. Cover the antennas completely, and there is no way for the 3g signal to connect correctly......

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
    Yeah in the At&t store ( one of many) in Jacksonville Fl, the sales rep showed us by just holding the display Iphone by the bottom it lost 1 then 2 bars............ he said no big deal, it is if you only had 1 or 2 bars to begin with, thats quite a dampening of signal.

But with the bumper or case I understand this is just about a non issue, hence the White Iphone debate ( as to who cares since it needs a case or bumper anyway).

Point? Its apparent that normal use could cause a signal loss in some cases with the phone bare ( without a case)
    What the rep told you is true...to some extent but I myself have noticed that even when on 4 even 5 bars the signal still drops, just a tad bit slower. That said, some places in town have EXCELLENT signal, both in quality and strength, where you won't get any drop at all. Even with "the death grip" (I hate that term). But the vast majority of the time you may be in a decent signal area, just the actual signal quality isn't good enough to keep your signal from dropping when antenna is touched. Like me, I'm on 4to5 bars where I live but the slightest touch and my signal drops. Some Ppl say "it's not that big of a deal" but it is. I've never had this with any other phone. But yeah, you can be damned if I'm going to smother my phone with ugly cases JUST to hold my phone. No-forking-chance. Get the design sorted, apple!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by orozcoj4 View Post
    really? I mean really? If you try hard enough i'm sure you can make any cell phone lose signal. I don't like covering up my ip4's sexy design but i'd rather protect my phone with a case rather than trying to impress people by showing them i have an iphone. Put a bumper on it and move on.

-bump
    "they're trashing our rights. hack the planet!"