Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Translate Turns iPhone into Real Life Universal Translator

Default Google Translate Turns iPhone into Real Life Universal Translator

Google Translate has just been released for iOS devices. It was first introduced back in 2008 as an HTML5 web app for the iPhone and is now available as a native iOS app. It has all of the same features and a few new additions to help improve its overall usability as well. Just like other Google apps, this one is also a free download.

With Google Translate you can translate 57 languages in text-only form or it will recognize 15 different languages spoken into the app. Google translate can also speak 23 languages aloud. Hopefully, future versions will have the ability to understand and speak every supported language, instead of fragmenting them as they have with this version. This app is still quite impressive nonetheless.

You can also save your favorite phrases by pressing the star next to the translated text. Stared favorites are also accessible off line, so if you have to be in airplane mode you still have access to a few phrases. The zoom icon gives you access to full screen mode. This is can be quite useful if you need to show someone text that you can’t quite pronounce. Google translate also supports non-Latin script languages like, Japanese and gives you the translation in Kanji characters and phonetically in Latin script as well.

When Star Trek first introduced the concept of a universal translator back in the late 1960’s, it was nothing more than a bit of science fiction wishful thinking. With the release of Google Translate, that wish is now a reality. This version of Google Translate doesn’t quite measure up to the universal translators found on the Starship Enterprise quite yet, but it is an impressive first step in the right direction. Science fiction of the past is slowly becoming the science reality of today. This is just the first version of Google Translate, just imagine what it will look like in a few years. Who would have thought that Star Trek technology would have the Google logo on it one day?

Source: Google
    Last edited by Wiley John Wright; 02-09-2011 at 02:58 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wiley John Wright For This Useful Post:

algojobathosai (02-09-2011), turkey26 (02-09-2011)

This is going to be interesting

Sent from my iPhone 4 using ModMyi
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jose060789 For This Useful Post:

indyzzzz (02-10-2011)

this is awesome. the best thing since voice activator but i can see this being a problem taking out your shiny iPhone4 in a 3rd world country to use as a translation device. then getting robbed and told what to do through your own iPhone at gunpoint. i dont think i will use this on my travels to Guatemala lol. but great app nonetheless

Quote Originally Posted by woowoodengy View Post
    this is awesome. the best thing since voice activator but i can see this being a problem taking out your shiny iPhone4 in a 3rd world country to use as a translation device. then getting robbed and told what to do through your own iPhone at gunpoint. i dont think i will use this on my travels to Guatemala lol. but great app nonetheless
    Just because it isn't English doesn't mean it is third world.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

Kyle Matthews (02-09-2011), n00neimp0rtant (02-10-2011), soulthoughts (02-09-2011), vanki3ll (02-09-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Lol!!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to obtrunco For This Useful Post:

PlatoTheForms (02-09-2011)

i know but i traveled in many 3rd world countries and own a house in Guatemala and even though Guatemala isn't 3rd world its more dangerous than most 3rd world countries. and after looking again at the languages there are not not many 3rd world countries on the list. except America lol JK

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

The future of this app is real time voice translation. Good things are coming!

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    The future of this app is real time voice translation. Good things are coming!
    an app like has been in use by the army for quite some time now in afganastan

This is a great app!! Though not perfect, it still a very helpful app for me who travel a lot! Proud to be an Iphone owner!!
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Jubah
    Jubah Online
    Jubah Muslimah
    Baju Hari Raya
    Baju Muslimah
    Baju Raya 2013
    Baju Kurung
    Baby Clothes

Green Apple
    Thanks

Babelfish is next!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to stellan0r For This Useful Post:

BHX (02-09-2011)

Is this out yet?

Can it do Klingon?

Cool app, but there's been apps doing this for years
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhone? More like MyPhone vedavis's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank goodness, I was getting tired of putting that damn fish in my ear

Gonna have to check this out

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

From what I've tried this app is incredible. It doesn't speak Thai, though, which is my best friend's native language. It doesn't even give that phonetic version, either.

It kind of sucks that the one language I would actually use is still missing pretty much every feature that makes this app useful, but this is a great first step!

Also, this works great on the iPod Touch 4. I guess I'll need a Wifi connection to use it, however.

very nice, and it allows copy/paste so I can surprise my Thai & Arabic friends on Twitter. lol
    I would have my URL here so you could hear our music but apparently that's sig spam. WTF?

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Already reported by a member yesterday.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

an app like has been in use by the army for quite some time now in afganastan
    But not for the iPhone!

Quote Originally Posted by vedavis View Post
    Thank goodness, I was getting tired of putting that damn fish in my ear
    Lol, funny movie!
    Last edited by steve-z17; 02-09-2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Don't be ridiculous. I've spent a lot of time in Guatemala and it's people are friendly and for the most part honest. Most people in the third world are poor, not criminals. Crime rates in the 1st world countries are often higher. Don't be ignorant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast