Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sprint Tries to Muscle Up Against Verizon iPhone Launch

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Sprint Tries to Muscle Up Against Verizon iPhone Launch

With Sprint obviously feeling left out of the iPhone party, the company is trying to muscle up to the swelling competition from Verizon and AT&T by teasing an exclusive new Android-powered dual-touchscreen smartphone. Dubbed the "Kyocera Echo," the smartphone in question is billed as a first of its kind Android device. It was formally unveiled this week by Sprint, with an estimated launch scheduled for spring.

The Kyocera Echo will run you $199.99 (two-year contract, of course), after a $100 mail-in rebate. But while the smartphone's critics contend that this smartphone is nothing more than a clever attempt to distract from iPhone-mania, some of the device's specs are worth noting. Most noticeably, of course, are the phone's two 3.5-inch WVGA touchscreen displays. According to the manufacturer, the screens are fused by "pivot hinge." So the screens can either be operated independently of one another, or combined to make a 4.7-inch diagonal display that makes the phone work in "tablet mode."

Pretty sweet. But will it make a dent in the iPhone market? "Sprint is proud to boast the most powerful Android portfolio available today and Echo adds to that legacy with industry-leading technology that will change the way our customers use smartphones," Sprint CEO Dan Hesse said, trying to drum up hype for the handset. "Today’s busy schedules often demand that we do at least two things at once. Kyocera Echo is the first device that allows us to do a different task on each of two screens while also providing a tablet-like, larger screen experience that easily fits in a pocket when closed."

Time will only tell if the Kyocera Echo will please consumers, or if it will simply "echo" the failures of other would-be iPhone killers.

Mobile Burn

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

turkey26 (02-08-2011)

Nothing can out beat the iPhone cuz apple just makes good sh1t. Just like with tablets apple knows wat consumers want. Even without jailbreaking it still is a better product.

I just finished watching the video and I have to admit the idea of that fone is just WOW. Although is seems to be slow as the guy tries to click repeatedly to get it to work faster but I think it has a big chance to compete. At least, until they can get their fone to work faster. But it looks like something I would buy. On the other hand I can't wait until the iPhone 5 releases!
    Last edited by i3urger; 02-08-2011 at 10:52 AM. Reason: After seeing the video

I must say this looks darn slick. I like it! I wonder how the touch screen responds. This is one of the major things that most of these iPhone competitors struggle with IMO.

Will you be able to watch video so it covers both screens ? Can it do data and phone at the same time ? If 1 screen breaks will the other work ?

Thanks

FAIL ! on the lag lol

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Looks too bulky and from the vid it looks like the presenter was struggling to get the screen to respond properly.

Apple needs a iPhone with screens on both sides lol! This is overkill!

That was super laggy in the presentation. He had to touch the screen 3 or 4 times before the phone would respond

Sick idea. Imagine watching movie on top screen and reading email or using skype on bottom! Though I want that on iOS not crappy android.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i3urger View Post
    Nothing can out beat the iPhone cuz apple just makes good sh1t. Just like with tablets apple knows wat consumers want. Even without jailbreaking it still is a better product.

I just finished watching the video and I have to admit the idea of that fone is just WOW. Although is seems to be slow as the guy tries to click repeatedly to get it to work faster but I think it has a big chance to compete. At least, until they can get their fone to work faster. But it looks like something I would buy. On the other hand I can't wait until the iPhone 5 releases!
    I agree, apples hardware will always be better.. And it goes without saying that iOS is better than android... But you must bear in mind that the device in the vid will be a test model, probably still running a beta fw, which will be why it is so slow.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I can see this becoming more popular and useful. I don't like the split in between the screens, looks kind of tacky. I like that it can become a tablet though. We'll see how things move along.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by decke View Post
    Sick idea. Imagine watching movie on top screen and reading email or using skype on bottom! Though I want that on iOS not crappy android.
    That would be awesome, big shame it's not iOS..

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Really good idea. I like the originality and competition is always good for the consumers! I really like the 2 touchscreens.
    For **** sakes you mods are amateurs! Why are you trashing my scene!!! Seriously you and me we're done professionally.

I think its a very interesting phone, the question is can a DS emulator be made for it? lolz

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by decke View Post
    Or two movies ... if (when) you and your "other" can't agree on one

17. The Following User Says Thank You to santacruzlocal For This Useful Post:

Lombardo Joe (02-08-2011)

This dualscreen-pivot system seems pretty cool...until you consider what it would become after a few drops and/or a 2 year old kid getting it to play with, which is common place for a lot of people with smartphones this days.

Besides, one can just speculate about the quality of those touch screens, since they manage to put 2 in that thing and still place it in the $200 price range, let alone the battery life to feed both.

Let's just hope they got it right this time, 'cause this "iphone killer" thing is getting kind of boring.

I think it's a good attempt, and it's certainly innovative. Dual touch-screens have it over the iphone (think landscape texting...).

The iPhone isn't moving down from the top slot any time soon. The touchscreen has to work, on the first press, every single time, or it's a failure. That's a tall order, but the iPhone pulls it off nearly perfectly.

Apple has some of the most innovative and competent interface designers in the marketplace. The iPhone interface is dead-simple to use, is intuitive (mostly) and gets the job done with a minimal amount of taps.

Even if they figure out how to do that as well as Apple's iPhone, the best it can be is an imitation, with only a few things it can do better due to the dual screens.

I mean, seriously... who would want to watch a movie in 720p while checking Facebook status updates?

..waitaminute... O_o

Maybe they're on to something...
    Last edited by Taranis17; 02-08-2011 at 12:00 PM.

Thanks

I bet the battery was dead after one demo

Wow Thats Sic The Only Down Side It Must Be Pretty Wide And Idk If It Was Him Or The Phone But Look Like The Touch Screen Is Alil Ruff But Great Design I Like The 2 Screen Plane Where You Can Do Two Different Things At Once Or Just Have Help From The Other Screen

Sprint already has an iPhone killer: the Evo. It bests the iPhone on everything except display resolution and battery life (easily fixed with an extended battery). The concept Sprint (and T-Mobile) isn't getting is that people are buying the iPhone for iOS and the app selection, not just the hardware.

Two screens just means this thing is going to suck battery like there's no tomorrow and it will have limited 3rd party app support. I honestly wonder why Sprint even bothered - they should've just spent the money and effort kissing Apple's behind to get some CDMA iPhone 4s to sell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast