+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon iPhone Has Dual-Mode GSM/CDMA Chip

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Separate teardowns of the Verizon iPhone 4 done today by iFixit and 9to5Mac have both determined that the new phone's cellular modem is compatible with both GSM and CDMA ,
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Verizon iPhone Has Dual-Mode GSM/CDMA Chip

Separate teardowns of the Verizon iPhone 4 done today by iFixit and 9to5Mac have both determined that the new phone's cellular modem is compatible with both GSM and CDMA, lending credence to rumors that future iPhones will be dual-mode "world phones," with the same device able to work on networks using either cellular standard. The Verizon phone cannot be used on a GSM network, as it lacks a SIM card, but the inclusion of this chip suggests that Apple may move away from separate GSM and CDMA product lines as soon as the next iPad.

The Qualcomm MDM6600 "Gobi" chip found inside Verizon's iPhone 4 - the same one that's in Motorola's Droid Pro world phone - supports both GSM HSPA+ with data rates up to 14.4 Mb/s and CDMA's 1xEV-DO rev. B with data rates up to 4.9 Mb/s (though Verizon's network currently only uses rev. A which maxes out at 3.1 Mb/s). The Verizon phone will only work on CDMA systems not only due to the lack of a SIM but also because of the antennas: as iFixit notes, "this phone supports two cellular frequency bands, while Apple supports five bands in the GSM version."

Another minor change noted was the moved and redesigned vibrator which, as iFixit found, has a "quieter, softer feel, and makes a better sound when on a table." Apparently this is a linear vibrator, rather than the counterweighted rotating electric motor used in the GSM iPhone 4.

Source: MacRumors, image via iFixit
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 02-08-2011 at 10:54 AM. Reason: crediting image source

Thanks

I kind of figured as much. I can't imagine Apple would want to keep releasing two of each product just for the sake of being able to be on gsm and cdma.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    I kind of figured as much. I can't imagine Apple would want to keep releasing two of each product just for the sake of being able to be on gsm and cdma.
    They will still have to make a version with a SIM card tray and slot and a version without. Until the talked about built-in SIM, but I don't see iDevices having that this year and hopefully never.

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Lets see what kind of hacks come out of that !!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

this is awsome dual chip. its good to know it could be unlocked.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to delusion950 For This Useful Post:

Snozberries (02-09-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    They will still have to make a version with a SIM card tray and slot and a version without. Until the talked about built-in SIM, but I don't see iDevices having that this year and hopefully never.
    Can it have a sim tray even though it would be on verizon and if on AT&T it would use it?

iPhone? More like MyPhone sLevin1fo's Avatar
    F**K YOU, IM FROM TEXAS (So Original, HUH?)
    Thanks

Apparently they made it on the pre order. Lots of Verizon customers are coming in w/ iPhone 4's today. Yes, I work for Verizon Wireless.
    8GB 2G 1.0.2v 3.14.08_G AT&T RIP
    16GB 3G 2.0.2v 2.02.01 AT&T RIP
    8GB 3G 3.0 04.26.08 AT&T RIP
    16GB 3GS 3.0.1 04.26.08 AT&T RIP
    16GB 3GS 3.1.3 5.12.01 AT&T RIP
    16GB iPhone4 3.10.01 4.2.1 Fancy iPod

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EskimoRuler View Post
    Can it have a sim tray even though it would be on verizon and if on AT&T it would use it?
    It could. Apple are OCD with detail and I can see them just making a separate casing for Verizon models without an opening for a SIM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    It could. Apple are OCD with detail and I can see them just making a separate casing for Verizon models without an opening for a SIM
    I personally would not mind opening my phones back cover to install a sim but I dunno how that goes with warranty and so on. Also with things like getting your phone online, they would have to preinstall it (I don't know how the process works as of now).

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

When I was on Verizon my Blackberry Tour had a slot in the back for a SIM, even though I used a CDMA network. Granted, Apple might not choose to do so, but it's possible. Wouldn't it be more cost effective to just have one model?

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Interesting..

Thanks

It would be a lot better for apple and the consumer if they didn't have to make two iphones with two different cases
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhone? More like MyPhone thechronic's Avatar
    Thanks

What is the difference between the new linear vibrator, and the old rotating electric motor counter weight? Does it only oscillate on one plane?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I guess so. Interesting

iPhone? More like MyPhone jwil736's Avatar
    Thanks

Wouldn't the CDMA/gsm combo chip cost more than just a CDMA? I couldn't see apple paying for hardware that they do not intend on using...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    I personally would not mind opening my phones back cover to install a sim but I dunno how that goes with warranty and so on. Also with things like getting your phone online, they would have to preinstall it (I don't know how the process works as of now).
    Remove the 2 small screws slide up half an inch and iPhone 4 back comes off easy. No warranty void.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Italia411's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lombardo Joe View Post
    When I was on Verizon my Blackberry Tour had a slot in the back for a SIM, even though I used a CDMA network. Granted, Apple might not choose to do so, but it's possible. Wouldn't it be more cost effective to just have one model?
    I work for Att and I could swear as well Verizon's blackberry storm was unlock-able to Att's gsm network. It had a sim slot.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I don't know if I understand but I hope apple stays with AT&T also very unlikely but hey I can think what I want

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
    So where are you going to get the special Micro sim? Or are all going to the micro sim?
    The storm had a normal sim card. I think the micro sim was apples bright idea to try and detour unlocking last I knew the iPhone 4 is the only phone in the world with micro sim.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Italia411 View Post
    The storm had a normal sim card. I think the micro sim was apples bright idea to try and detour unlocking last I knew the iPhone 4 is the only phone in the world with micro sim.
    As long as u have Att u can get micro sims. eBay works too.